Rebuild with picks

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
mikemar
Role Player
Role Player

Rebuild with picks

Postby mikemar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:08 pm

Took over a team last year (and it had like 0 picks) so hard to turn it around.

12 team, PPR, start QB, RB, WR, TE, 4 Flex

Teddy, Kaep
Latavius, Knile, Herron, Taliaferro, B Pierce, Dunbar, Ka'Deem
Stills, K Wright, Woods, Sanu, Baldwin, Beasley, Duron, Aiken, Boykin, Campanaro, Dobson Jarius Wright
Kelce, Fleener, Crockett, Griffin

Picks - 1.1 1.5 1.11 2.1 2.8 2.9

What moves would you try and make? (Tried to move Knile to Charles owner multiple times) And figure hope for Kaep's value to increase before trying to move him

How would you handle the picks?

GreenGold
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Rebuild with picks

Postby GreenGold » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm

Good thing you have alot of picks lol. If you don't love anyone near the top, then try and trade down for multiple picks /prospects this yr or next.

austin10splayer
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby austin10splayer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

what is the Charles owner offering for Knile? Out of curiosity. You may be better off keeping him as he still holds value with Charles but will have much more post-Charles.

I think you can get some great guys with your picks. Probably 3-4 RB's and a very solid WR.
Team 1

12 team .5 PPR; QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1K,1DT,1DE,1LB,1CB,1S,2D-FLEX)

QB: Derek Carr, Sam Bradford, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez
RB: Alfred Morris, Jonathan Stewart, LeGarette Blount, Matt Jones, Tevin Coleman, Bishop Sankey, Buck Allen, David Cobb, Jonas Gray, Benny Cunningham,
WR: Alshon Jeffery, TY Hilton, Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Mike Wallace, Tavon Austin, Marquess WIlson, Willie Snead, JJ NElson
TE: Tyler Eifert, Eric Ebron, Maxx Williams
K: Chandler Catanzaro
DE: Calais Campbell, Muhammad WIlkerson
DT: Marcell Dareus, Clinton McDonald
LB: Anthony Barr, Mychal Kendricks, Telvin Smith, Malcolm Smith, Sio Moore, Bernadrick McKinney, Uani Unga
CB: Prince Amukamara, Kyle Fuller
S: Reshad Jones, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, Tyrann Mathieu

cp3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cp3 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 pm

WR obviously sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any chance of 1.2 or 1.3 falling in love with Gurley and wanting to trade up? Even if you don't get much else, if you can land a minor asset and move down to grab cooper/white (whoever you like better) I'd consider that a win for you.

If you can't move down - I'd just draft cooper/white. At 1.5 I'd go Parker/DGB. I'd be trying to hit homeruns with those two picks. With the rest of the picks I'd actually consider flipping them for later picks + 2016 1sts if you can. Really build up your stock of picks since you're pretty clearly a couple years out.

I love Kelce, Latavius, and Stills, but have you considered moving them as well? If you could get back an overpay I'd move them too.

My overall goal would be to try and flip anything not nailed down for any sort of draft pick with this team. Trust your prospect evaluations and hope you hit on some draft picks, especially at WR.

mikemar
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mikemar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 pm

cp3 wrote:WR obviously sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any chance of 1.2 or 1.3 falling in love with Gurley and wanting to trade up? Even if you don't get much else, if you can land a minor asset and move down to grab cooper/white (whoever you like better) I'd consider that a win for you.

If you can't move down - I'd just draft cooper/white. At 1.5 I'd go Parker/DGB. I'd be trying to hit homeruns with those two picks. With the rest of the picks I'd actually consider flipping them for later picks + 2016 1sts if you can. Really build up your stock of picks since you're pretty clearly a couple years out.

I love Kelce, Latavius, and Stills, but have you considered moving them as well? If you could get back an overpay I'd move them too.

My overall goal would be to try and flip anything not nailed down for any sort of draft pick with this team. Trust your prospect evaluations and hope you hit on some draft picks, especially at WR.
Kinda exactly my thoughts on the picks, hopefully I can swing it. But that is my weakness, any examples (just ballpark) like going from 1.8 to 2.4/2016 1st (too much/little)? Obviously changes each draft class and such.

And yeah, ANYTHING is up for trade :)

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Try packaging Murray or Kelce with the 2.01 or 1.11 to move up to 1.03/1.04?
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:38 pm

My take is keep the picks, and go WR heavy early and often. They take at least a season, sometimes two or three, to start to properly payoff. This time next year you'll likely be set with a young group of WRs and can then focus on drafting RBs, since they tend to have an earlier impact in their careers. It's an artform drafting the right players at the right time so as to align the peak impact of your players. If you focus on RBs this early in the draft and your rebuild, the'll likely play a lot, score points, and make your team better on paper and thus impact your 2016 picks in the process. Not to mention they'll wear more quickly than your WRs. This is my rebuild philosophy, at least with the RB/WR positions. You're set at QB and TE since these positions take even longer to mature than WRs, so I think your team, picks and outlook should weigh heavily in favour of nabbing WRs with at least 2 of your first 3 picks, or even 3/4.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

JJDubya wrote:My take is keep the picks, and go WR heavy early and often. They take at least a season, sometimes two or three, to start to properly payoff. This time next year you'll likely be set with a young group of WRs and can then focus on drafting RBs, since they tend to have an earlier impact in their careers. It's an artform drafting the right players at the right time so as to align the peak impact of your players. If you focus on RBs this early in the draft and your rebuild, the'll likely play a lot, score points, and make your team better on paper and thus impact your 2016 picks in the process. Not to mention they'll wear more quickly than your WRs. This is my rebuild philosophy, at least with the RB/WR positions. You're set at QB and TE since these positions take even longer to mature than WRs, so I think your team, picks and outlook should weigh heavily in favour of nabbing WRs with at least 2 of your first 3 picks, or even 3/4.
This is a pretty common strategy and probably the preferred "safe" rebuild plan. Taking the WR is safe but also assumes you are holding them through the rookie and development period which means you have assets that you are unlikely to trade for profit which limits options in a rebuild
The alternative is take the best players WR/RB available and sell the rookie RB once they have had a few good games as RB value can appreciate quickly with a few promising games. If Gurley/Gordon have a couple 100+ yard games early their value will be near Bell/Lacy pretty quickly and will offer a very quick boost in value that you can trade for young WR underperforming or that regress slightly.
An example of this from last year are specifically Brandon Oliver/Sims who could be sold for 1sts/early 2nds at a point last year and certainly did not cost that much in the draft. Hill's value was easily doubled by mid-season as well. It is a slightly riskier proposition but of the 7-8 RB taken in the first 2 rounds almost all of them are worth much more than at any point last year right now
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:16 pm

I don't disagree that's a viable strategy, and yes, more risky. My issue with it (in the sense I'd prefer my approach) is based on how my leaguemates view RBs vs. WRs. Young WRs always require an overpay, so at best you're getting picks for RBs (in an even trade) but are still stuck without any WRs. Young stud WRs always increase in value until they take a step back (Floyd, Keenan). Granted you can likely pick them up cheaper, but the owners often invested relatively highly in them and they may ride it out until their value has bottomed out. If you draft the studs early, you can either hold until they reap the rewards, or you can sell even higher than what you paid.

mikemar
Role Player
Role Player

Postby mikemar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:38 pm

And huge part is that you only have to start 1 RB, devalues RBs a TON

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm

PM sent
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore