The Tampa Bay Bucs RB situation...

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Payton34
Captain
Captain

The Tampa Bay Bucs RB situation...

Postby Payton34 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:33 am

It is clear that James and Rainey aren't part of the final answer for Tampa... I have heard and read that Charles Sims was drafted to be a 3rd round back, but that really isn't Lovie's M.O. with RBs.... He's more of a, "Run one guy between the 20s and have a Goal Line back" kind of coach it seems.... And from what I've been hearing, they really think Doug Martin started regaining his form in the last 3 or 4 games last season...

So the question: How do you see this situation shaking out?

And the second part: Would you trade Martin and Sims for Jonathan Stewart? :)
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…

kyler1945
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: The Tampa Bay Bucs RB situation...

Postby kyler1945 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:53 am

I wouldn't make that trade before I see if Carolina drafts a back in the early rounds. Possibly not after either. I think if you drafted martin, you paid a lot and he's a hold. I think Sims in the same boat.
10 Team Dynasty, .5ppr, QB/WR/WR/RB/RB/TE/FLEX/DEF/K, 7 bench Spots, 2 IR/Pup/Susp spots

Current Roster

Ben Roethlisberger, Tyrod Taylor
AJ Green, Allen Robinson, TY Hilton, Kelvin Benjamin, Devante Parker, Josh Doctson
Leveon Bell, Devonta Freeman, CJ Anderson, Dion Lewis, Tevin Coleman, Kenneth Dixon, Jay Ajayi
Coby Fleener, Zach Ertz

bpatrick
Starter
Starter

Postby bpatrick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:57 am

I would just hold Martin and Sims. Stewart is a talented RB but has significant difficulty staying on the field. Martin has as well, but at least you have his potential backup.
Team #1: 12 team, (1 QB 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, DEF), PPR (0.5/1/1), 22-player roster

QB: Newton, Foles, Carr
RB: Hill, TRich, Taliaferro, A Williams, D Williams
WR: AJ, Gordon, Benjamin, M Bryant, Jennings, C Hogan, Austin, Dobson, Janis, D Carter, C Washington
TE: Graham

Team #2: 12-team, (1 QB 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, DEF), PPR (0.5/1/1), 25-player roster

QB: Ryan, Bridgewater
RB: Forte, Ellington, Forsett, Hill, Bush, Taliaferro, Cunningham
WR: Megatron, Julio, Gordon, A Johnson, VJax, CPatt, Colston, D Baldwin, C Hogan, Charles Johnson
TE: Gronk, Witten
IR: C Palmer, K Moreno, T Gaffney

VinceB128
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VinceB128 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:17 am

I have Martin in one of my leagues, and I'm holding him. His value is just too low to sell at this point. If you don't have faith in him, wait and hope he has a couple great games and then sell. Otherwise, I'd hold him, better or worse, until we find out which is more indicative of his career, last year or his rookie year.

sharkattack
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sharkattack » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:18 am

They drafted Sims for a reason. He will get the 3rd down work, which in ppr is nice. If Doug struggles, don't be surprised if he gets yanked. His talent / measureables are very similar to Zac Stacy.

VinceB128
Rookie
Rookie

Postby VinceB128 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:32 am

sharkattack wrote:They drafted Sims for a reason. He will get the 3rd down work, which in ppr is nice. If Doug struggles, don't be surprised if he gets yanked. His talent / measureables are very similar to Zac Stacy.
Even if that's true, he has Sims, so the two together are still a hold IMO.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 am

Since you own both I vote holding. One of those 2 will play themselves into a starter.

DO NOT TRADE FOR STEWART.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 am

I think it's possible for Martin to regain RB2 status but a couple things need to happen:

- They need an actual NFL QB. Could be fixed pretty easily via Winston.
- Their O-line needs to improve from its bottom-3 unit. Miami completely and successfully revamped their O-line last offseason so it's possible.
- Defenses have to respect the QB/V-Jax/Evans. You started to see this at the end of last season which bumped up his productivity somewhat. Their offensive unit was so poor and predictable w/ McCown that teams loaded up 8 guys in the box and made McCown (and later Glennon for a little while) beat them via V-Jax and Evans. McCown never really succeeded so teams were able to dictate control.
- Sims is a marginal NFL RB. He lacks vision between the tackles and goes down way too easily on 1st contact.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 am

I think I'd hold Martin and Sims at this point. I don't think you get much more certainty with Stewart. I'd consider it if you have a really good use for that extra roster spot (like someone really good on the WW). Agree that Martin could potentially get back to RB2 status.

I think I'm lower on Sims than most though. I think with 3rd down work or even if Doug Martin goes down you're looking at more of a Tim Hightower than a Gio or even Ellington type back.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Payton34
Captain
Captain

Postby Payton34 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:13 pm

What if I were to get Sankey as well?

IE. Martin and Sims for Stewart and Sankey?
12 teams, 6pts all TDs, 1/2 pt PPR. 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D, 2 FLEX RB/WR/TE

QBs - P Mahomes,
RBs - Bijan, J Jacobs, K Walker, B Hall,
WRs - AJ Brown, J Waddle, DJ Moore, T Higgins, D London, Smith-Njigba, J Downs, AT Perry
TEs - D Kincaid, Musgrave
Ks - Boswell, McPherson
Ds - Texans, Jets

2024 - 3 1st rounders... Picks 1.5, 1.7, 1.11… 1 2nd 2.17… 1 3rd 3.31…