Which WR/TE combo?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which WR/TE combo?

H.Nicks and J.Finley
42%
J.Blackmon and K.Rudolph
58%

Total votes: 19

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Which WR/TE combo?

Postby doktor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 am

12 team weighted PPR (.5/1/1.25) standard scoring.

Thanks!

WindyCityFlyer
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Which WR/TE combo?

Postby WindyCityFlyer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:39 am

Blackmon and Rudolph for me. 99 times out of a 100 FOR ME, but its reasonable to like the upside of Nicks and Finley. I just would not want to bet on Nicks.
Team 1
12 Team, 26 Player, Best Ball, Std PPR RB-1, WR-1, TE-1.5 ppr + Return pts (Start QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF)

QB: Watson, Mills
RB: JT, Akers, Herbert, Strong Jr, Mostert,
WR: Gabe Davis, Burks, D Smith, C Ridley, K Toney, Osborn, Samuel, Fuller, DPJ, Van Jefferson, Thornton, Danny Gray, Austin III
TE: Andrews, Jonnu, Everett, McBride, Tremble
K:
DEF: NEP

Team 2
12 Tms, 26 Player, PPR, (QB, 2RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 3 Flex, K,DEF)

QB: Watson, Lawrence, Mills, Wentz,
RB: CMC, Barkley, Elliott, Stevenson, Herbert, Abdullah
WR: Allen, DJ Moore, M Pittman, Toney, G Wilson, Nico Collins, Osborn, Kyle Phillips, Ezukanma, DPJ
TE: Kelce, Kittle, Kmet, Friermuth, Jelani
K:
DEF: MIA

Team 3
12 Tms, 20 Player, PPR, (QB, 2RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1TE, K,DEF) Keep 9

QB: Lamar, Fields
RB: JT, Stevenson, Zamir, Mattinson, Moss, Hilliard
WR: Mclaurin, Diontae, Mooney, Dotson, Palmer, Osborn, V Jefferson
TE: Andrews, Pitts, Hooper
DEF: Ravens, Saints

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 am

Finely swings the deal to the other side for me either way. So I would want Blackmon and Rudolph given the option, however if I had my choice of all the players I would want Nicks and Rudolph. I have no faith in Finely providing consistent production and I view him as the 5th option in the offense as I put whatever RB they play ahead of him. Rudolph has shown great chemistry with Ponder and could develop into a top 5-10 TE.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 am

Nicks + Finley for me easily.

First off, I do not see a huge difference between Finley's value + Rudolph's value. While Rudolph is still young, I don't see him becoming a true threat as this "new-wave TE". I don't think he has the movement skills to create mismatches. I think he'll be a great red-zone threat (8-10 TD's), but I don't think he'll turn into an elite TE. On top of that, the TE position is so black-and-white to me - Either you have Graham/Gronk/Hernandez, or you don't. The difference between the #4 TE and the #12 TE will be very negligible (let alone hard to predict) in my opinion.

I'm not completely sold on Blackmon - I think he can be a good, not elite WR...But he's stuck in Jacksonville and I don't think he rivals Nicks' talent when healthy.

Nicks is in a contract year, I'd be shocked if he doesn't put up a great season - what he does beyond this year is a big question mark. If you want to move Nicks, wait until he puts up some good numbers this year...Remember, 12 months ago Nicks was being valued as a top5 dynasty WR.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:37 am

Nicks > Blackmon
Worst Player in Football <<<< Rudolph

Nicks is the best player in the deal, but on value I think its a push.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Greatly appreciated.

I was able to work out a deal, just pulled the trigger.

Gave: Nicks, 2013 2.06
Received: Blackmon, 2013 2.01 and 3.01

I think Nicks has greater risk and greater upside. My motivation is that I owned Nicks in a couple leagues and did not want to assume the risk in both places. Plus I didn't own Blackmon anywhere and kind of wanted to. He is intriguing to me. I'm not completely sold that he is a stud in the making, but I definitely see potential, especially when he can turn in the numbers he did with Chad Henne of all people throwing him the ball.

So now I get to ride Nicks in one league and Blackmon in another. YAY! :)

Thanks again!

DonBrazi
MVP
MVP

Postby DonBrazi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 am

I think Balckmon is being severely overrated here.. Both in the original poll and in the final trade. Blackmon and Nicks aren't close, are they? DOes a 5 spot bump in the 2nd!!! round make up the difference? Wow, how things must have changed! For me, it'd have to be something waaaay greater than the slight difference between Finley and Rudolph or the 2.06 and the 2.01 (which is a bag of potatoes) to go from Blackmon to Nicks. Something like the 1.01 or 1.02 for me.

Nicks >>>> Blackmon
Rudolph > Finley
2.01 + 3.01 > 2.06
IRL 12Team 28man 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1Superflex: PPR w/ small TE-Premium
Dak, Murray, Wentz, Darnold, Fitzpatrick
CEH, Gibson, Sanders, Javonte, Moss, Nwangwu
ARob, Sutton, ODB, Parker, Ruggs, Miller, Boykin
Waller, Hockenson, Pitts, OJH, Trautman, Gesicki, Everett
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, 4th

War Room 12Team 28man: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4Flex, 1Superflex: .5/1/1.5 Tiered-PPR, 1-Round Devy league
Dak, Murray, LJax, *Rattler
Etienne, AJD, Hubbard, Stevenson, Hawkins, *Spiller
Sutton, ODB, Jeudy, Reagor, Shenault, Rodgers, Kirk, Boykin, *G.Wilson
Hockenson, Jonnu, Firkser, Asiasi
2022 1st (2), 2nd, 3rd, *Devy 4th (2)

MMG
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MMG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

doktor wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone! Greatly appreciated.

I was able to work out a deal, just pulled the trigger.

Gave: Nicks, 2013 2.06
Received: Blackmon, 2013 2.01 and 3.01

I think Nicks has greater risk and greater upside. My motivation is that I owned Nicks in a couple leagues and did not want to assume the risk in both places. Plus I didn't own Blackmon anywhere and kind of wanted to. He is intriguing to me. I'm not completely sold that he is a stud in the making, but I definitely see potential, especially when he can turn in the numbers he did with Chad Henne of all people throwing him the ball.

So now I get to ride Nicks in one league and Blackmon in another. YAY! :)

Thanks again!
Nicely done!! Nicks is always a nice piece to look at, but his injuries are a bit of a downer to me. Blackmon I feel can do pretty well in J-Ville, they just need a damned QB. Spoiler alert: Geno Smifffff anyone? :) haha
Last edited by MMG on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*XDSFL*
10 Team, TE Premium PPR
Gucci Gunners
QB: R Wilson, D Watson
RB: N Chubb, Ka Hunt, J Mixon, R Mostert, Lev Bell, A Peterson, Lat Murray, J Hill
WR: M Evans, L Fitzgerald, S Watkins, C Kirk, Ty Williams, Bre Perriman
TE: T Higbee, N Fant, I Smith, G Olsen
K: W Lutz
DEF: LA Rams, Seahawks

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

DonBrazi wrote:I think Balckmon is being severely overrated here.. Both in the original poll and in the final trade. Blackmon and Nicks aren't close, are they? DOes a 5 spot bump in the 2nd!!! round make up the difference? Wow, how things must have changed! For me, it'd have to be something waaaay greater than the slight difference between Finley and Rudolph or the 2.06 and the 2.01 (which is a bag of potatoes) to go from Blackmon to Nicks. Something like the 1.01 or 1.02 for me.

Nicks >>>> Blackmon
Rudolph > Finley
2.01 + 3.01 > 2.06
More to the point for me is I think Nicks is a bit overrated. I think he is a very good receiver (I traded for him in 1 league and drafted him in another), but I don't think he is the top 5-10 elite talent that a lot of people think he is. More realistically I'd place him top 10-20.

First off, injuries have hampered him his entire career. Whether it was playing at less than 100% or not playing at all, it's been one issue after another with him. Look back at his 2 best years, 2010 and 2011. Those 2 seasons are what everyone bases his "elite-ness" off of. In 2010 Nicks produced 79/1052/11 and 2011 he produced 75/1169/7. Very good numbers, but top 5 elite? Compare those to Cruz's numbers from 2011 and 2012. In 2011 Cruz produced 82/1536/9 and 2012 he produced 86/1092/10. (all stats through 16 games - normal fantasy seasons including championships). Does Cruz get the same respect that Nicks does? Not at all, although it has gotten closer now that Nicks turned in such a disappointing 2012.

Talent and potential are one think, and good things to have. But if you consistently can't live up to them, what good are they? I think Nicks and Blackmon are a lot closer than you make it sound. Remember, Blackmon turned in 64/865/5 with Gabbert and Henne throwing him the ball. That's impressive. Imagine what he could have done with Eli?

I am happy with the deal here, and even happier that I get to ride both in separate leagues. Hedge my bet so to speak.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 pm

I agree, good trade for you dok, I think Blackmon has a great year with whoever his QB is, and becomes somewhat QB proof (Fitz proved there's no such thing as being QB proof last year).