Looking for WR advice

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Looking for WR advice

Postby Vectorgod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Team listed below, I think my weakest area is WR. I had Jordy Nelson but traded him away for pick 1.05 (took RG3) and free agency money. Feel like I have several players with serious potential behind White and Fitz but lots of question marks around them as well. Roster constraints will force me to cut down to 3 active QBs, 6 active RBs, and 7 (maybe 8) active WRs by the end of training camp.

Romo is probably my most valuable trade bait, bringing up RG3 as my QB2/3 and freeing a spot on the taxi squad. Shop Romo around now or wait on more news out of OTAs and training camp? Patience or urgency?

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Looking for WR advice

Postby TJHollywood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:47 pm

I don't think you need to be in a huge hurry. Roddy/Fitz/Little should give you a solid trio to start every week. Maybe Collie regains form. Realistically, the rest of your WR's are in a rough shape though. I'm not so sure how much trade value Romo is going to have right now and I question the move to deal Jordy for RGIII when you already have Stafford and Romo as starters. The thing is, I think your team can be competitive as is but you have very little depth and an injury could really hurt you. You could look at dealing Romo for someone like Wayne or VJax (and maybe get a future pick) and contend now. The problem with this move is your team will age very quickly and you'll be looking at a rebuild in a year or two. I think I'd put Romo on the block for a WR and see what you get. If nothing, go into the season with what you have and work the WW like crazy.

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Didn't anticipate getting RG3 with the 1.05 pick, I really thought it was going to get me Martin or Blackmon. Both were gone and RG3 looked like the best available, so I went with that and followed up with Fleener at 1.06.

Any thoughts on Breaston, Shipley, and Alexander in particular? Any hope for Moss? I snatched him off the waiver wire as soon as he signed with the 49ers, figure worst case I can sit on him through the pre-season and cut him if he doesn't pan out.

TJHollywood
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TJHollywood » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Vectorgod wrote:Didn't anticipate getting RG3 with the 1.05 pick, I really thought it was going to get me Martin or Blackmon. Both were gone and RG3 looked like the best available, so I went with that and followed up with Fleener at 1.06.

Any thoughts on Breaston, Shipley, and Alexander in particular? Any hope for Moss? I snatched him off the waiver wire as soon as he signed with the 49ers, figure worst case I can sit on him through the pre-season and cut him if he doesn't pan out.
Breaston is an average WR and will likely give way some to Baldwin and Bowe on a running team. Shipley and Alexander are in similar situations. They are coming off injuries on teams with a gazillion WR's trying to make the roster. They both have talent but face a ton of competition. Moss is a decent shot in the dark but I doubt he accomplishes much although if he doesn't, Jenkins might.

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Just got an offer of Lloyd or Santonio for Mark Ingram. The team making the offer is deep at WR but thin at RB. Would this solidify my WR corps enough to justify going a little thin at RB? Since we do PR/KR scoring, Leon Washington is at least an ok bye-week guy.

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:38 am

Vectorgod wrote:Just got an offer of Lloyd or Santonio for Mark Ingram. The team making the offer is deep at WR but thin at RB. Would this solidify my WR corps enough to justify going a little thin at RB? Since we do PR/KR scoring, Leon Washington is at least an ok bye-week guy.
I'm not a big Ingram guy, but i think I'd pass on that trade.

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:42 am

And as for the Jordy trade, I would have waited til 1.5 was on the clock or no deal. I'd rather have him than Blackmon anyway. You ended up trading a 26 year old top 20 WR on a great offense for your 3rd QB in a start 1 league. Lesson learned.

harahduh2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby harahduh2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:13 am

Amoo wrote:And as for the Jordy trade, I would have waited til 1.5 was on the clock or no deal. I'd rather have him than Blackmon anyway. You ended up trading a 26 year old top 20 WR on a great offense for your 3rd QB in a start 1 league. Lesson learned.
This. I think that the Jordy trade was awful value for a guy that blew up last year. Granted his numbers should regress this year but I could still see him putting up 65/1100/8 this season. Bad trade.
Follow me on Twitter @harahduh2

Hangin' w/ Mr. Cooper
QB: Ryan, Winston
WR: Amari, Watkins, Cooks, Adams, Coleman, Perriman, White, Conley, Britt, Hardy
RB: Yeldon, Crowell, Booker, McKinnon, Marshall, Williams
TE: Walford, Higbee

Mega-Tron Legacy
QB: Carr, Wilson, Rivers, Flacco
RB: Miller, Hyde, Ingram, Yeldon.
WR: Hopkins, Arob, Cooks, Watkins, JMatt, Benji, White, Crabtree
TE: Gronk, Ebron, Rodgers, Walford

Duck Dynasty
QB: Carr, Dak, Eli
RB: Gurley, Gordon, Ingram, Montgomery, Drake, Jones, Michael
WR: Amari, Arob, Cooks, Watkins, Adams, JMatt, Dorsett, Funchess, Woods
TE: Gronk, ASJ

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks for the input! I got money out of the Nelson deal as well, so it's hopefully not quite so bad. We get $75 per year for FA/RFA bidding, and I got $30 along with the 1.05 for Nelson. Heading into this year's draft, I really wanted to work my way into extra early picks. I made several pre-season trades where I gave up Cam, Gore, Tolbert, Nelson, and 4.06 for Forte, Bush, 1.05, 2.04, and $58. I am now sitting with the 3rd-largest bank account in the league, so I can go big for the inevitable unexpected breakout player. I've had many of the same negative thoughts you guys have outlined here, I'm just hoping I hit the boom side and not the bust side of this deal!

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm assuming the cap dollars only count for this year. So if you used all of them up, wouldn't that put you in cap trouble for next year? Could possibly be a counterproductive move if you aren't careful.

Vectorgod
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vectorgod » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:31 pm

The $ are for FA/RFA bidding, no salary cap per se. Limits are contract years and money in the bank, which carries over from year to year. So financial condition plays into trades quite frequently.