"Anti" Tanking suggestions

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
vbbish
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: "Anti" Tanking suggestions

Postby vbbish » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Our league implemented a lottery for the 4 teams that didn't make the playoffs.

Playing an incomplete roster for any other reason then injury or Bye (Meaning you literally have no one else to start) results on the commissioner taking over your starting roster and the reduction of your next available 2nd round pick.

This was a constant issue for years that was solved almost overnight. As we haven't even had to warn one person since.
12th Year Full Dynasty PPR (1 pt. per Rec.) 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1TE/RB/WR 12 team league **Champ 20, 21 & 22 **
QB: J. Burrow, M. Jones, B. Zappe
RB: Breece Hall, J. Gibbs, D. Cook, AJ Dillon, D. Pierce
WR: Godwin, Diggs, Jeudy, R. Moore, K. Shakir, T. Burks, Z. Flowers, S. Moore, J. Reed, J. Metchie, J. Downs
TE: Andrews, J. Johnson, T. Kraft

2024 1.01, 1.02, 1.11, 3.10

1st Year Superflex PPR (.5 per Rec) 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2WR/RB/TE, 1SF

QB: Herbie, T. Law, B. Young, J. Winston, K. Pickett, M. Willis
RB: D. Singletary, E. Gray, E. Wilson, M. Carter, I. Spiller, R. Blackshear, I. Abanikanda, T. Bigsby
WR: D. London, G. Wilson, KJ Osborn, M. Wilson, D. Davis, J. Watson, J. Williams, T, Scott, Q, Johnson, P. Washingon
TE: C. Otton, D. Kincaid, T. Conklin, N. Fant, J, Whyle, M. Mayer

2024 1.05, 2.02, 2.10, 3.02, 3.04

mgregoirec
Captain
Captain

Postby mgregoirec » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:02 pm

frerichs5 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:51 am I really like having draft order determined by best possible points. Meaning if Kupp still goes off…his score is counted using that teams “best lineup” for the week. Benching him then gives no advantage to a higher draft pick.

Also incentivizes to sell off older producing players to remove those points from your possible total.
Are you guys playing on NFL Fantasy? If so, how do you see the "best possible points" in the app or website? I'd love to implement this in our league cause right now we have a loser's championship (between 9-12) but the worst team always comes up with 3rd or 4th pick and there's always the owner of an unlucky but good team that comes up with the 1st overall (which I absolutely hate).
2022 Back to back champion
2021 Champion
Briseur de cennes - 14-team half-PPR w/ IDP - 4 keepers, Est. 2017
7-1

QB : Jordan Love
RB : D'Andre Swift, Josh Jacobs, Gus Edwards, Ezekiel Elliott, Antonio Gibson
WR : Justin Jefferson, Ja’marr Chase, AJ Brown, Quentin Johnston, Jahan Dotson
TE : Mark Andrews
DL : Sam Hubbard
LB : Foye Oluokun, Micah Parsons
DB : Julian Love

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Best way to avoid tanking, and BS team management, is to have good owners. Simple.

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BucBuc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:23 pm

slaughterrt wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm Best way to avoid tanking, and BS team management, is to have good owners. Simple.
x2 If an owner is benching starters to gain a better pick then that owner simply doesn't respect the dignity and sportsmanship of the league.... Its an unwritten rule to start your best possible lineup so only solution I see here is warning the owner once if he or she does it again id look to replace the owner
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 am

pmart33 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:46 am This probably belongs in the Commissioner Corner section, but this thread gets a lot more traction, so here it goes. I'm looking for ideas to outline an "anti" tanking policy. I put anti in quotes, as I do believe that tanking is okay in dynasty as long as it's done properly. In one of my leagues we just had an owner who is out of contention bench a few quality players including Kupp (The WR1) for the following players:

KJ Osborn - WR51
Dionte Harris - WR48
Deandre Hopkins - WR32
Zach Ertz - TE10
Melvin Gordon - Inactive

To me the correct way to do it is to sell productive players for injured guys, young players and/or draft picks. Intentionally benching guys like Kupp causes a ripple effect that impacts both the draft order and the playoff standings, and is not in the spirit of fair play IMO.

Is this a reasonable way of looking at it, and what can a league do to combat these issues?
i determine the draft order using potential points on mfl. Really easy to track and that eliminates tanking in terms of draft position. In terms of setting lineups....i do not touch it. i just had 2 bail on me last week. we are going to let those 2 teams ride out and whatever happens, so be it. i know that is not tanking but it might as well be and at this point in the season....what do you hope to do?

Just my opinion of the situation.... if this owner has been trying to win....he's been giving his best effort. if he feels best to admit defeat....good for him. I'm guessing that he's not the only guy that has been "tanking"/ rebuilding since this time last yr or the past few yrs for that matter.

How many teams in your league do you think want Kupp??? How many of those teams do think are going to give fair value for him??? Is your trading even open? Has this guy been starting crappy line ups all year?

yes, i agree that this owner should be trying every week. just not sure what you think is appropriate for a guy throwing in the towel if dues are paid. Owners have been throwing the towel in on this yr for the last yr or 2. ive thought about awarding prize money for most efficient lineup for the yr. awarding a "coach of the yr" payout. really easy to track on mfl. that would encourage everyone to set their best lineup.

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:26 am

There is only one way to do this.
Potential points is the failsafe, for sure, and at a minimum - must be utilized. But, it's not THE answer.
Never, ever, ever leave things to human discretion. What world are you folks living in? :)

You have to have the toilet bowl tourney for the top overall pick.
All non-playoff teams compete and the winner gets the 1.01. After that, the entire rest of the draft order is determined by potential points.
In fact - in my favorite leagues, the two highest seeded (best record) non-playoff teams actually get a bye in the toilet bowl tourney - giving them eveb better chances to get that 1.01.

This has increased league participation ten-fold. Everyone stays active and making moves. Everyone.

We even added a great wrinkle. If a team has traded their first round selection and is in the toilet bowl tourney - the team that owns that pick can set the lineup for that team to ensure they get the best chance to get the 1.01. They can't make add/drops or anything like that, but they can ensure that a full and playing lineup is set.

Whatever reservations people had about it have all vanished when people saw that this system just worked. The worst team still gets the 2.01 and the 3.01, etc - but every single team has an opportunity for that 1.01 and something to play for until the very end of the year.

no one ever does the sheisty tank jobs stated above. And this has worked in multiple leagues that I am in.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 pm

cvbuc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:26 am There is only one way to do this.
Potential points is the failsafe, for sure, and at a minimum - must be utilized. But, it's not THE answer.
Never, ever, ever leave things to human discretion. What world are you folks living in? :)

All non-playoff teams compete and the winner gets the 1.01. After that, the entire rest of the draft order is determined by potential points.
In fact - in my favorite leagues, the two highest seeded (best record) non-playoff teams actually get a bye in the toilet bowl tourney - giving them eveb better chances to get that 1.01.

This has increased league participation ten-fold. Everyone stays active and making moves. Everyone.

We even added a great wrinkle. If a team has traded their first round selection and is in the toilet bowl tourney - the team that owns that pick can set the lineup for that team to ensure they get the best chance to get the 1.01. They can't make add/drops or anything like that, but they can ensure that a full and playing lineup is set.

Whatever reservations people had about it have all vanished when people saw that this system just worked. The worst team still gets the 2.01 and the 3.01, etc - but every single team has an opportunity for that 1.01 and something to play for until the very end of the year.

no one ever does the sheisty tank jobs stated above. And this has worked in multiple leagues that I am in.
Sounds like a fun way to strengthen the near-playoffs without helping the worst team with the best pick. And honestly, what’s to stop a playoff (but maybe not championship caliber) team from tanking and then trying to win the toilet bowl?

I know, it seems dumb that a team would intentionally miss the playoffs for a chance at the 1.01. But I also know that I have several teams that are borderline playoff that would probably get beat in the first round of the playoffs…but would look real nice getting a first round toilet bowl bye and then getting the next JT.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn’t be against the toilet bowl 1.01 if everyone is for it. But at the same time, I feel like it might solve one problem but create others.

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:43 am

slaughterrt wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 pm
cvbuc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:26 am There is only one way to do this.

Sounds like a fun way to strengthen the near-playoffs without helping the worst team with the best pick. And honestly, what’s to stop a playoff (but maybe not championship caliber) team from tanking and then trying to win the toilet bowl?

I know, it seems dumb that a team would intentionally miss the playoffs for a chance at the 1.01. But I also know that I have several teams that are borderline playoff that would probably get beat in the first round of the playoffs…but would look real nice getting a first round toilet bowl bye and then getting the next JT.

Just some thoughts. I wouldn’t be against the toilet bowl 1.01 if everyone is for it. But at the same time, I feel like it might solve one problem but create others.
Because things never go chalk and people who make moves like that usually fall flat on their faces. It works.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins