A contender in desperate need of a TE *Updated*

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: A contender in desperate need of a TE

Postby abloom » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:08 am So it's pretty much come to this. The Pitts owner texted me back last night and sounds like Ridley + a late 2022 1st + another mid range piece may just do it. Seems like a lot to pay but is it worth it to lock up Pitts and get it done?

Main build so no one has to search for it: .5 PPR, Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX

QB: Mahomes, Watson
RB: Aaron Jones, James Conner, Zack Moss, Mike Davis
WR: Justin Jefferson, Calvin Ridley, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry jeudy, Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Corey Davis
TE: Jonnu Smith, Evan Engram, David Njoku
I mean it comes down to what the midrange piece is.

If you were in a rebuild this would be an easy pass, but you aren't in a rebuild. You are a contender who is lacking a TE. While on paper the value of the ridley side is much more than that of the Pitts side, the value to your team is clearly on the Pitts side.

Is it an overpay? Undoubtedly yes.
Does this trade increase your chances of winning a championship this year and in the next couple years?. undoubtedly yes.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Re: A contender in desperate need of a TE *Updated*

Postby cvbuc » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Anyone who is charging multiple firsts for some of these names who aren't even worth a single first (Schultz) is just being unreasonable. This would have to be a double TE premium league for those kind of values. I respect the conundrum you are in.

One name not being mentioned is Gronk. I would go after him because he should be back by week 10 at the latest after Tampa's bye. Pairing him with OJ Howard is an easy way to get top 5 production at TE on the cheap this year. Try that owner right now while Gronk is being ruled out again. Then try and nab Howard on the cheap with the threat of Gronk's return being imminent.

If that doesn't work out - a sneaky steady play of last resorts would be J. Cook. But I would zero in on Gronk.

Then I would scoop up any promising TE's that are a year or two out like Tremble. OJ should have a new team next year as well.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 pm

I'd let the hoarders choke on their multiple TEs on the bench and beat them at other positions. Don't give in, the prices will get reasonable - it just takes one owner to break ranks in the right offer.
Good luck!
-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch
DB - Metellus, Branch
2024 Picks: 1.14, 2.05 , 2.14, 3.05, 3.14, 6.14

Serenity Valley Browncoats
QB - RWilson, O'Connell, Lance, Darnold, Hooker, Stidham
RB - Stevenson, RWhite, Ford, Herbert, Hunt, CEH, McIntosh, Brooks
WR - Adams, Collins, Rice, GDavis, NBrown, Dortch, Tillman
TE - Higbee, Allen, Graham
PK - Fairbairn
DL - Madubuike, Paye, Ebukam, Will Anderson
LB - Kendricks, Pratt, DWhite, Holcombe, Baker, Alexander, TAndersen, Jack
DB - Blackmon, Brisker, Stingley
- 2024 Picks: 1.13, 3.13
-oo-

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm

abloom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 pm
Gator Sens wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:08 am So it's pretty much come to this. The Pitts owner texted me back last night and sounds like Ridley + a late 2022 1st + another mid range piece may just do it. Seems like a lot to pay but is it worth it to lock up Pitts and get it done?

Main build so no one has to search for it: .5 PPR, Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX

WR: Justin Jefferson, Calvin Ridley, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry jeudy, Tee Higgins, Brandon Aiyuk, Corey Davis

If you were in a rebuild this would be an easy pass, but you aren't in a rebuild. You are a contender who is lacking a TE. While on paper the value of the ridley side is much more than that of the Pitts side, the value to your team is clearly on the Pitts side.

Does this trade increase your chances of winning a championship this year and in the next couple years?. undoubtedly yes.
The Pitts owner went silent today after a couple texts, so not sure what the add is or if something changed. This is not uncommon for that owner unfortunately but I can sleep on it and see how I'm feeling in the AM.

I was also offered Gesicki and Miles Sanders for Ridley and a 2022 likely late 1st. Seems to help me in multiple spots but I have zero faith in Sanders, so who knows...

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:39 pm

meineymoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 pm I'd let the hoarders choke on their multiple TEs on the bench and beat them at other positions. Don't give in, the prices will get reasonable - it just takes one owner to break ranks in the right offer.
Good luck!
-oo-
Also an option and one that I have gone with for the better part of a year + just with other names. I appreciate the input and struggle not to just keep rolling as is too!

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm

cvbuc wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 pm Anyone who is charging multiple firsts for some of these names who aren't even worth a single first (Schultz) is just being unreasonable. This would have to be a double TE premium league for those kind of values. I respect the conundrum you are in.

One name not being mentioned is Gronk. I would go after him because he should be back by week 10 at the latest after Tampa's bye. Pairing him with OJ Howard is an easy way to get top 5 production at TE on the cheap this year. Try that owner right now while Gronk is being ruled out again. Then try and nab Howard on the cheap with the threat of Gronk's return being imminent.

If that doesn't work out - a sneaky steady play of last resorts would be J. Cook. But I would zero in on Gronk.

Then I would scoop up any promising TE's that are a year or two out like Tremble. OJ should have a new team next year as well.
Agreed. One of the owners us a contender as well and while playing "defense" to keep me without a TE, the prices are very unreasonable.

Gronk has crossed my mind as a gap filler depending on price too and I will send a price check text tomorrow. Thank you for the input.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:43 pm

Really appreciate all the help and input all! We will see what/if anything happens tomorrow AM before another week gets rolling.

jobiegermano
Captain
Captain

Postby jobiegermano » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 am

Ugh, I really hate seeing stuff like this. It honestly makes me considering re-evaluating if I want to stay in a league. Of course, my main league being almost 20 years old and the only way I keep in touch with some old friends stops me from leaving. Still, I would absolutely look to propose off season rule changes that make hoarding undesirable. Not something so on the nose as actually penalizing a hoarder subjectively, but maybe adding multiple TE spots without PPR bonus, or going TE premium… honestly I’m not sure what rules would work better, but I’m sure if I thought about it I could get creative.

As for the Pitts trade, I support it. What I don’t like is that you’re looking to win now and Pitts might take a year, so you’re buying a rebuild TE while in win now mode. Also, I doubt Ryan will be back next year, maybe, but honestly that should be better for Pitts. He’s really just a big WR that gets covered by DBs.

Good Luck Gator! and never forget who hoarded… one day… 👺
Bling Dyna$ty:
10 Owners, Single QB, Non-PPR, TDs = 6
16 Player Roster, 2 Year Taxi Squad
10 Keepers, 2 Round Rookie Draft, 6 Round Supplemental Auction
$100 Combined Auction/FAAB Dollar Base
Lineup: QB, 2xRB, 2xWR, TE, RWT(FLEX), DEF, K

QB: P. Mahomes, B. Mayfield
RB: C. McCaffrey, D. Montgomery, R. Mostert, Jeff Wilson Jr., R. Dowdle, D'Ernest Johnson
WR: D. Moore, P. Nacua, S. Diggs, K. Allen
TE: T. Kelce, I. Likely
K: B. Aubrey
DEF: Browns
IR: N/A
Taxi: N/A

2024 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2024 Auction/FAAB: $100
2025 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2025 Auction/FAAB: $100
2026 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 1 x 1st & 1 x 2nd
2026 Auction/FAAB: $100

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:15 am

jobiegermano wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 am Ugh, I really hate seeing stuff like this. It honestly makes me considering re-evaluating if I want to stay in a league. Of course, my main league being almost 20 years old and the only way I keep in touch with some old friends stops me from leaving. Still, I would absolutely look to propose off season rule changes that make hoarding undesirable. Not something so on the nose as actually penalizing a hoarder subjectively, but maybe adding multiple TE spots without PPR bonus, or going TE premium… honestly I’m not sure what rules would work better, but I’m sure if I thought about it I could get creative.

As for the Pitts trade, I support it. What I don’t like is that you’re looking to win now and Pitts might take a year, so you’re buying a rebuild TE while in win now mode. Also, I doubt Ryan will be back next year, maybe, but honestly that should be better for Pitts. He’s really just a big WR that gets covered by DBs.

Good Luck Gator! and never forget who hoarded… one day… 👺

Not a fan AT ALL of changing rules to deal with these situations but I agree it's annoying as hell. It's some sort of Prisoner's Dilemma where everyone loses.

Though situations like this drive me crazy it rarely goes on for years. It's just the market until a few people crack, It makes FFL interesting at times to see how people's minds work. Scott Adams says one of the biggest mistakes we make are believing people are rational. For years it drove him crazy before he realized they simply aren't rational. I'm trying to accept and implement the idea myself in many areas of life. It makes the situation much more interesting and bearable.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

jobiegermano
Captain
Captain

Postby jobiegermano » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:15 am Not a fan AT ALL of changing rules to deal with these situations but I agree it's annoying as hell.
To be fair, my answer was influenced by other post conversations I’ve had with Gator and I should have probably said that. I also agree that changing rules should not be a remedy for micro-issues that will clear up on their own, but - and Gator, correct me if I’m wrong - I think I’ve seen other posts of his that seem to say his league has basically stopped trading or that it’s almost impossible anymore and only one or two owners are even open to the possibility.

In my main league we had been built as what’s really a deep keeper league because it started way before modern keeper leagues got defined. Basically, it was just a redraft that kept 10 players and had a salary cap. It got so stagnant and boring and the bad teams couldn’t get better. People were considering leaving, but then some of the old guys were also extremely resistant to change. Finally we got a breath of fresh air and expanded our bench, added a taxi, removed the cap, and added a rookie draft. Most importantly, you can now trade anything; players, picks, FAAB money, etc. I still think it needs a bunch more, but just getting the basics changed was as much as the old farts could handle.

Anyway, it’s super fun again and there is a core 4 or 5 of us that make crazy blockbuster trades all the time now. If fact, if you don’t trade, you die. The culture is so improved I can’t imagine why we were still playing before.

Maybe I’m wrong about Gator’s league, but it sounds like the TE issue is just a piece of a larger problem where no one trades any longer and maybe it’s time to shake that up 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bling Dyna$ty:
10 Owners, Single QB, Non-PPR, TDs = 6
16 Player Roster, 2 Year Taxi Squad
10 Keepers, 2 Round Rookie Draft, 6 Round Supplemental Auction
$100 Combined Auction/FAAB Dollar Base
Lineup: QB, 2xRB, 2xWR, TE, RWT(FLEX), DEF, K

QB: P. Mahomes, B. Mayfield
RB: C. McCaffrey, D. Montgomery, R. Mostert, Jeff Wilson Jr., R. Dowdle, D'Ernest Johnson
WR: D. Moore, P. Nacua, S. Diggs, K. Allen
TE: T. Kelce, I. Likely
K: B. Aubrey
DEF: Browns
IR: N/A
Taxi: N/A

2024 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2024 Auction/FAAB: $100
2025 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 0 x 1st & 0 x 2nd
2025 Auction/FAAB: $100
2026 Rookie (Taxi) Picks: 1 x 1st & 1 x 2nd
2026 Auction/FAAB: $100

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 am

jobiegermano wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am
SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:15 am Not a fan AT ALL of changing rules to deal with these situations but I agree it's annoying as hell.
To be fair, my answer was influenced by other post conversations I’ve had with Gator and I should have probably said that. I also agree that changing rules should not be a remedy for micro-issues that will clear up on their own, but - and Gator, correct me if I’m wrong - I think I’ve seen other posts of his that seem to say his league has basically stopped trading or that it’s almost impossible anymore and only one or two owners are even open to the possibility.

In my main league we had been built as what’s really a deep keeper league because it started way before modern keeper leagues got defined. Basically, it was just a redraft that kept 10 players and had a salary cap. It got so stagnant and boring and the bad teams couldn’t get better. People were considering leaving, but then some of the old guys were also extremely resistant to change. Finally we got a breath of fresh air and expanded our bench, added a taxi, removed the cap, and added a rookie draft. Most importantly, you can now trade anything; players, picks, FAAB money, etc. I still think it needs a bunch more, but just getting the basics changed was as much as the old farts could handle.

Anyway, it’s super fun again and there is a core 4 or 5 of us that make crazy blockbuster trades all the time now. If fact, if you don’t trade, you die. The culture is so improved I can’t imagine why we were still playing before.

Maybe I’m wrong about Gator’s league, but it sounds like the TE issue is just a piece of a larger problem where no one trades any longer and maybe it’s time to shake that up 🤷🏻‍♂️
Most owners just dont trade much anymore in general. While frustrating at times, you dont have to trade. The value structure for some owners is an issue, but everyone values how they value fair or not. I dont think its anything that needs a rule change it can just be extremely frustrating at times. But no one has to trade and prices are prices good or bad.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 am

Okay, that makes alot more sense. Yeah, if the league is dying you do need to revive it. I can get onboard with that idea.

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:01 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:52 am

Okay, that makes alot more sense. Yeah, if the league is dying you do need to revive it. I can get onboard with that idea.
The league is very much alive and well and all the owners love it and are super into it. The values are out of control for some and trade has slowed way down but the league is great and interactive. If owners dont want to trade, they dont have to and values are what they are owner to owner fair or not. Its frustrating for those that look to deal though.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am

People aren't rational. I'm just learning this. I expect them to be. They aren't. It's making my life easier to finally realize this. Not easier to trade though. Just got to use persuasion instead of reason apparently.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm
abloom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 pm

The Pitts owner went silent today after a couple texts, so not sure what the add is or if something changed. This is not uncommon for that owner unfortunately but I can sleep on it and see how I'm feeling in the AM.

I was also offered Gesicki and Miles Sanders for Ridley and a 2022 likely late 1st. Seems to help me in multiple spots but I have zero faith in Sanders, so who knows...
probably will cost you an extra 1st for pitts after today
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07