Types of trading personalities

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
zaner75
Captain
Captain

Types of trading personalities

Postby zaner75 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm

Background info: Long-running 12 team 1QB keeper home league with fairly standard QB scoring outside of bonus points for 300/400/500 yards (cumulative 2/3/4 bonus points) and point per completion above 30.
Between early drafting (6 QBs between 2.11 and 3.09) and keepers (5), I went late-round QB and got Tannehill. My team is good (5-1 start, 2nd most points for) and I am looking to upgrade at QB.
There were 4 new owners and one is off to a 1-5 start and has Dak Prescott. I messaged him to see if he would be willing to trade Prescott. I included a soft proposal of one of my QBs (Tannehill or Wentz) to help him with byes this week (as he also has Lawrence on bye) and a draft pick upgrade or an upgrade at another position. Here is the reply I received:
"Hey! Sorry.. I’m not interested in trading him. Of all my draft picks… he’s the most consistent every weekend "

I remember reading articles about the different types of personalities in fantasy football regarding trading. How would you categorize this owner? To me, he is most likely out of playoff contention but doesn't realize it yet. I understand that most people in my league do not view their situation beyond the current week and also want to improve their lineup with giving up anything of consequence (the trade block, if used, is always bench players with no value above what is available on the waiver wire). He seems to be like this.
Is there any possibility of working out a trade with this owner? What trading personality does this owner have where he is not even willing to entertain trading the only player on his team that is performing, even though his team is poor?

I have put draft pick upgrades and potential late round RB keepers (Dobbins, Akers, Etienne all stashed on IR) on the table in case he changes his mind and starts thinking about next season.

Another new owner has Hurts and Stafford as he drafted them at 3.01 and 5.01. He is a fantasy football rookie. I've messaged him about me looking to upgrade at QB but haven't heard anything back. Last week, he picked up Le'Veon Bell on waivers and dropped Dalvin Cook. :surprised: :doh: There were some messages posted about that transaction, so he is now probably gun-shy about making a move.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Types of trading personalities

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:34 pm

First off, if someone dropped Cook in any type of keeper/dynasty league, that owner should be replaced for the good of the league. I'm all for the learning curve of dynasty and some of the ups and downs that come with that, but dropping a top 5 RB asset is different. That can't be good for the league on any level.

As far as the Prescott owner goes, I think that is a smart owner. Prescott is an anchor and an absolute rock for a QB to build around. Even if his team is not competitive this year, way move Prescott outside of a big overpay especially with the bonus structure in place. Seems like elite QB's could score huge numbers almost weekly in this league. I'm not sure what type of trading personality that is, but I think it's a smart move to hold Prescott given settings and all.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:37 pm

There are many types of traders, but one big separation I recognize is ...
1) Wheeler-Dealer, likes to make and receive offers, enjoys negotiating, thinks trading is as much a part of fantasy sports as drafting and setting lineups. When he sees a low-ball offer in his inbox, he gets excited and can't wait to make an absurd unbalanced offer in the other direction - "LET THE NEGOTIATION GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!"
2) Reticent Man, doesn't mind receiving offers, rarely or never makes offers, not at all interested in low-ball offers that require multiple rounds of negotiation to get close to a deal they would consider, and they don't view trading as something they need to do to enjoy fantasy football.

Your target is #2. Your error was the low-ball offer.
zaner75 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pma soft proposal of one of my QBs (Tannehill or Wentz) to help him with byes this week (as he also has Lawrence on bye) and a draft pick upgrade or an upgrade at another position. Here is the reply I received:
"Hey! Sorry.. I’m not interested in trading him. Of all my draft picks… he’s the most consistent every weekend "
You didn't bother to tell us exactly what you offered, but the sure piece is a significant QB downgrade for him. I assume your "draft pick upgrade" was something like him giving up an early 2nd and receiving a late 1st from you. Even in 1qb, that's not nearly enough. If your "draft pick upgrade" involved him receiving less than a 1st, that's even worse. The response he gave you an excuse to get out of the negotiating game he dislikes to much.

If you want to make a deal with this guy, you need to make your strongest offer. He doesn't want to go through the effort to make multiple rounds of negotiation.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:05 pm

zaner75 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm Background info: Long-running 12 team 1QB keeper home league with fairly standard QB scoring outside of bonus points for 300/400/500 yards (cumulative 2/3/4 bonus points) and point per completion above 30.
Between early drafting (6 QBs between 2.11 and 3.09) and keepers (5), I went late-round QB and got Tannehill. My team is good (5-1 start, 2nd most points for) and I am looking to upgrade at QB.
There were 4 new owners and one is off to a 1-5 start and has Dak Prescott. I messaged him to see if he would be willing to trade Prescott. I included a soft proposal of one of my QBs (Tannehill or Wentz) to help him with byes this week (as he also has Lawrence on bye) and a draft pick upgrade or an upgrade at another position. Here is the reply I received:

I remember reading articles about the different types of personalities in fantasy football regarding trading. How would you categorize this owner? To me, he is most likely out of playoff contention but doesn't realize it yet. I understand that most people in my league do not view their situation beyond the current week and also want to improve their lineup with giving up anything of consequence (the trade block, if used, is always bench players with no value above what is available on the waiver wire). He seems to be like this.
Is there any possibility of working out a trade with this owner? What trading personality does this owner have where he is not even willing to entertain trading the only player on his team that is performing, even though his team is poor?

I have put draft pick upgrades and potential late round RB keepers (Dobbins, Akers, Etienne all stashed on IR) on the table in case he changes his mind and starts thinking about next season.

Another new owner has Hurts and Stafford as he drafted them at 3.01 and 5.01. He is a fantasy football rookie. I've messaged him about me looking to upgrade at QB but haven't heard anything back. Last week, he picked up Le'Veon Bell on waivers and dropped Dalvin Cook. :surprised: :doh: There were some messages posted about that transaction, so he is now probably gun-shy about making a move.
You were the one that brought up making the trade and ensuring he has a bye week replacement for this week. Why shouldn't he assume he's in playoff contention if you're making that argument for him?

It sounds like in general you either need to find a new league or new owners. This league sounds like it's for beginners and you're looking for a league with more vets.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Honestly, it sounds like you tried to low ball a new guy and see if you could take advantage of him. A late round pick swap while he downgrades from Dak to Wentz/Tanny doesn't make any sense for him. Also, if his team is 1-5, why does he care about filling his bye week? He is probably better off losing this year to help his draft position so that move doesn't make any sense at all.

He may realize he isn't making the playoffs so getting older and downgrading at QB makes zero sense for him long term.

He might be willing to negotiate, but I know that a low ball offer can really be a turnoff for some and make them not even want to engage with you. I think you need to come back really strong if you really want a shot at Dak or move on to a new QB target. Maybe he isn't going to budge, but I think you misread the situation and might have screwed the pooch on trading with this owner.

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BucBuc » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:10 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm Honestly, it sounds like you tried to low ball a new guy and see if you could take advantage of him. A late round pick swap while he downgrades from Dak to Wentz/Tanny doesn't make any sense for him. Also, if his team is 1-5, why does he care about filling his bye week? He is probably better off losing this year to help his draft position so that move doesn't make any sense at all.

He may realize he isn't making the playoffs so getting older and downgrading at QB makes zero sense for him long term.

He might be willing to negotiate, but I know that a low ball offer can really be a turnoff for some and make them not even want to engage with you. I think you need to come back really strong if you really want a shot at Dak or move on to a new QB target. Maybe he isn't going to budge, but I think you misread the situation and might have screwed the pooch on trading with this owner.
This was my thoughts as well Wentz to Dak would cost alot alot...2 1st ontop and I'd still decline...The guy who dropped cook needs to get dropped as well just bad
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:23 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm Honestly, it sounds like you tried to low ball a new guy and see if you could take advantage of him. A late round pick swap while he downgrades from Dak to Wentz/Tanny doesn't make any sense for him. Also, if his team is 1-5, why does he care about filling his bye week? He is probably better off losing this year to help his draft position so that move doesn't make any sense at all.

Thanks for your opinions. Where are you reading that I tried to lowball? I sent a message asking if he would be open to discussing trading Prescott. Nowhere in my post did I put specifics because I did not include any in my message to the other owner. I do not know where you are getting "a late round pick swap" from. I included potential starting points for building a trade if he was interested but the reply I received was that he had zero interest in trading Prescott no matter what the offer was.
I realize this is a dynasty-centric forum but I stated that this was a keeper league. I should have probably included more specific information about the league but I didn't think it was germane to the question about the owner's personality type as it relates to trading.
To provide more context, it is a maximum of 3 keepers where keepers are kept for one season. It barely qualifies beyond redraft, but that is neither here nor there. Keepers are kept at the round drafted with free agents assigned a 7th round keeper price. Roster size is 16 with starting lineup being QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/RB-WR Flex/W-TE Flex/PK/DST. 1 point for 2 receptions for RB/WR. PPR for TE.
My thinking is that by not even being open to think about trading Prescott, the other owner is not looking to try to improve his team at all. To date, he has not made any waiver transactions, including a QB for this week as his 2 are both on bye. Definitely not an overly active league but I still sometimes try to make trades. Don't think there's any potential in that with this owner.

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:37 pm There are many types of traders, but one big separation I recognize is ...
1) Wheeler-Dealer, likes to make and receive offers, enjoys negotiating, thinks trading is as much a part of fantasy sports as drafting and setting lineups. When he sees a low-ball offer in his inbox, he gets excited and can't wait to make an absurd unbalanced offer in the other direction - "LET THE NEGOTIATION GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!"
2) Reticent Man, doesn't mind receiving offers, rarely or never makes offers, not at all interested in low-ball offers that require multiple rounds of negotiation to get close to a deal they would consider, and they don't view trading as something they need to do to enjoy fantasy football.

Your target is #2. Your error was the low-ball offer.
zaner75 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pma soft proposal of one of my QBs (Tannehill or Wentz) to help him with byes this week (as he also has Lawrence on bye) and a draft pick upgrade or an upgrade at another position. Here is the reply I received:
You didn't bother to tell us exactly what you offered, but the sure piece is a significant QB downgrade for him. I assume your "draft pick upgrade" was something like him giving up an early 2nd and receiving a late 1st from you. Even in 1qb, that's not nearly enough. If your "draft pick upgrade" involved him receiving less than a 1st, that's even worse. The response he gave you an excuse to get out of the negotiating game he dislikes to much.

If you want to make a deal with this guy, you need to make your strongest offer. He doesn't want to go through the effort to make multiple rounds of negotiation.
Thanks for the attempt to identify the personality type. I had a post in a different forum that was somehwat similar to 'Reticent Man'. He was called 'Paranoid Paul'.

As mentioned in a previous reply, I had messaged the other owner asking if he would be open to discussing trading Prescott. Nowhere in my post did I put specifics because I did not include any in my message to the other owner. I included potential starting points for building a trade if he was interested but the reply I received was that he had zero interest in trading Prescott, no matter what the offer was. And I'm not going to hamstring my squad for a QB upgrade in a single QB league. I'll just keep streaming.
Unfortunately, you made the leap to assumption and you know what happens when you bleep-u-me. His reply back put an end to any trade talks, possibly for the reasons you brought up, possibly because he just does not want to try to improve his team, as I mentioned in the previous post - zero waiver wire moves to date, including picking up a QB for this week, and it is in the league rules that you have to have a full starting lineup every week with penalties incurred.