Where do you go with this team?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
doublesticks
Role Player
Role Player

Where do you go with this team?

Postby doublesticks » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:07 am

Before I get into the roster, you have to understand that this is not a full dynasty. I asked a question last week, but I don’t think I explained the situation well enough.

It is a 10-team salary cap keeper league where you keep 10 and have a 4-man taxi…this setup guides my actions and it comes down to a few things for me:

• You have to be able to afford the players on your active roster – studs are expensive

• You can only keep 10 players (14 with all 4 taxi) - 14 never happens because either a stud is ready to move to active roster or you cut bait if they underperform. Most keep 1-2 taxi guys.

• I am sitting at 1-5 – already pretty much eliminated from playoff contention unless I win out as the other bad teams I could potentially catch already have a head-to-head tiebreaker over me.

• The core of this roster was built off the back of a great draft a few years ago…CMC, Cook, Hunt, Mahomes, etc…

Week 1 lineup:
QB: Mahomes
RB: CMC
RB: Chubb
WR: Kupp
WR: A Robinson
WR: DJ Moore
FLEX: Julio or Hunt
TE: Fant

Notable Bench: James Robinson, Mooney, Gainwell, J. Patterson
Taxi: Javonte Williams, Dillon, T Marshall, Mac Jones

For reference, that is 13 active roster guys (17 total) players, the most I could keep is 10 plus all four of JW, Dillon, Marshall and Mac.

Two Trades completed – basically, I turned James Robinson into Chubba Hubbard and Aiyuk.

I won’t get into the specific offers I’ve received for Chubb, Hunt and Kupp, but since I only start 2 RBs, I’m thinking strongly about rolling with CMC/Hubbard with a plug and play RB2 and moving the Cleveland RBs in separate deals (or keeping Hunt) and selling high on Kupp to net multiple 1sts and young players that I like and could build around.

If this was your team, would you ride it out with the current guys or make a few tweaks to reload with youth/picks plus the likely 1.01 pick and Javonte Williams to go with CMC in 2022?

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Where do you go with this team?

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 am

I think your starting lineup is in great shape when healthy. Health is causing issues and it is a tough spot to be in since you think you are already eliminated from playoff contention. Seems pretty early to throw in the towel, but I get it from a possible retooling aspect. I have said it on multiple CMC trade feeds, regardless of what you decide to do, he is a hold until he gets off IR and starts producing again. Any owner will get more in a deal at that point. The biggest question is do you want to continue to hold and build around CMC if good offers come? If there are no good offers that come in, this makes this question a lot easier and you hold and hope for next year. Making CMC, Robinson, Kupp, Hunt and Jones available to the league (at the right time for CMC and Hunt) will help guide which direction to go with your team. You have some serious assets to help jump start a retool to build around: Chubb and Moore if the right returns are out there. This is not the most exciting answer and a lot of what ifs still need to play out, but let the returns guide you here. I don't think trading Chubb is a good plan either way and if you end up having to hold all, a better 2022 season is a real possibility with health.

doublesticks
Role Player
Role Player

Postby doublesticks » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks for the response!

Let me ask you this, since other people don’t think I should move Chubb; with Hunt out a month or more, isn’t this the prime time to move him?

Kupp just screams sell high to me…like Theilen v2.0 where your could cash out big time during his big season and if you didn’t, you lost a lot of value by keeping him.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:47 am

doublesticks wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am Thanks for the response!

Let me ask you this, since other people don’t think I should move Chubb; with Hunt out a month or more, isn’t this the prime time to move him?

Kupp just screams sell high to me…like Theilen v2.0 where your could cash out big time during his big season and if you didn’t, you lost a lot of value by keeping him.
It comes down to return for both. I still think Chubb is elite option with multiple years left at an elite level but if you can move both/either for a huge return, maybe the value is worth it. Return is so key to any deal but especially involving top end assets.