Deal in the works: give Sutton/Trautman, get Rondale/Hurts

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Deal in the works: give Sutton/Trautman, get Rondale/Hurts

Postby M-Dub » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Just got this offer via text for team 3 in sig. It’s a salary cap/contract league, so that adds an extra wrinkle. $450 cap. Sutton is signed for 1 year at $17. Trautman is 4 years at $2. Hurts is 3 years at $8. Rondale Moore’s salary is $4. His contract hasn’t been set yet. I could sign him for 1-5 years at that salary.

Pertinent info:
I’m strong at TE, with Waller and Hockenson ahead of Trautman. I’m about as weak at QB as you can get. I don’t even have one on my roster at the moment. Available options in the upcoming FA auction aren’t particularly sexy: Stafford, Fitzmagic, Cousins, Carr, Big Ben, Winston, Hill, Cam, Dalton. Stafford and Big Ben are both RFAs, meaning their original owners can match the winning bid and retain them at that salary. None of those guys, with the possible exception of Stafford, offer the type of league-winning upside that Hurts does, imo.

There’s a decent amount of WR talent available in the auction to replace the loss of Sutton. Keenan, Cooper, Julio, Thielen and Diontae are the best RFAs. I also have the RFA matching rights for Fuller. Notable UFAs include AB, Hilton, Mooney, Gage and Gabe Davis. I have the second-most cap space heading into the auction, and the guy with the most is gonna have to spend a big chunk of it to retain Derrick Henry, so I’m definitely in position to make a big splash in free agency.

So all things considered, is this a good deal for me? I definitely wouldn’t make this trade in a standard dynasty league where we keep these guys forever, but with Sutton’s contract expiring and the slight $7 cap savings (every dollar counts), I’m thinking it’s a little closer to fair value. I tried countering with me getting Kupp ($31/1 year) instead of Moore, but he quickly shot that down. I told him I’d do it if he added a 2nd and I added a 3rd. He’s currently mulling that over.

Sorry for the long post. This salary cap league is a lot of fun, but it also requires a lot of explanation for an otherwise simple trade. Haha.
Last edited by M-Dub on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Deal in the works: give Sutton/Trautman, get Rondale/Hurts

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Stafford, Fitzmagic and borderline Cousins all offer enough for me not to trade away Sutton. I am lower on Hurts than many, but I would have no issue rolling with Stafford and Fitzpatrick, especially since they will be cheap.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:03 pm

murphysxm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm Stafford, Fitzmagic and borderline Cousins all offer enough for me not to trade away Sutton. I am lower on Hurts than many, but I would have no issue rolling with Stafford and Fitzpatrick, especially since they will be cheap.
I guess that depends on how you define “cheap.” I expect those guys to at least command a higher salary than the $8 I’d be paying Hurts. I think there are 3-4 teams that will be looking to add a QB, so I expect Stafford to be around $25-$30. Fitzmagic and Cousins will probably be around $20-$25.

I am also admittedly higher on Hurts than most.

🦬PRIME🦬
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert

Hull Awaits

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:34 pm

M-Dub wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:03 pm
murphysxm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm Stafford, Fitzmagic and borderline Cousins all offer enough for me not to trade away Sutton. I am lower on Hurts than many, but I would have no issue rolling with Stafford and Fitzpatrick, especially since they will be cheap.
I guess that depends on how you define “cheap.” I expect those guys to at least command a higher salary than the $8 I’d be paying Hurts. I think there are 3-4 teams that will be looking to add a QB, so I expect Stafford to be around $25-$30. Fitzmagic and Cousins will probably be around $20-$25.

I am also admittedly higher on Hurts than most.
If you believe in Hurts go for it. I am just not sold on a QB that has played meaningful snaps in 5 NFL games and threw for under 175 yards in 3 off them
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm

I guess my main question is, do you expect to resign Sutton after this season? I'm sorry if I missed that in your original post.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm I guess my main question is, do you expect to resign Sutton after this season? I'm sorry if I missed that in your original post.
Good question, but it’s practically impossible to answer right now. It would depend on several factors: how Sutton does this year, whether or not any of my young unproven WRs (Mims, Edwards, Hamler, Collins, Schwartz) become viable starters, and how much Sutton’s new salary is after being subjected to the open market. Even if I trade him away, I’d still be able to bid on him in next year’s auction. I’d just be giving up my matching rights (and, of course, all of his production THIS year).

This trade is really tough to evaluate, since it’s almost entirely based on speculation. Sutton is the most “proven” piece in the deal, and even he has a ton of question marks heading into this season.

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm

M-Dub wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm
Gator Sens wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm I guess my main question is, do you expect to resign Sutton after this season? I'm sorry if I missed that in your original post.
Good question, but it’s practically impossible to answer right now. It would depend on several factors: how Sutton does this year, whether or not any of my young unproven WRs (Mims, Edwards, Hamler, Collins, Schwartz) become viable starters, and how much Sutton’s new salary is after being subjected to the open market. Even if I trade him away, I’d still be able to bid on him in next year’s auction. I’d just be giving up my matching rights (and, of course, all of his production THIS year).

This trade is really tough to evaluate, since it’s almost entirely based on speculation. Sutton is the most “proven” piece in the deal, and even he has a ton of question marks heading into this season.
Tough call and totally understand the uncertainty. All factors considered, I would likely hold your side. That being said, if Hurts is your guy, I can see making the deal too. I'm a massive Jeudy truther and think his skill set eats into Sutton more and more.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:56 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm
M-Dub wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Tough call and totally understand the uncertainty. All factors considered, I would likely hold your side. That being said, if Hurts is your guy, I can see making the deal too. I'm a massive Jeudy truther and think his skill set eats into Sutton more and more.
Interesting. I’ve definitely gathered from your past posts that you’re a Jeudy truther, but I don’t think he really poses a huge threat to Sutton, or vice versa. I think their skill sets complement each other really well: Sutton as the prototypical X making contested catches downfield, Jeudy as the route-running savant manning the slot, and Hamler as the boom/bust field stretcher taking the top off of defenses. Throw in an uber-athletic TE like Fant and they just need to find a QB to complete the puzzle. If only there was a disgruntled future HOFer who was desperate to get away from his current team and get a fresh start somewhere else…
🤔🤔🤔

🦬PRIME🦬

Hull Awaits