How to balance a competitive team for the future?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

How to balance a competitive team for the future?

Postby yellowdart2448 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 am

This is mainly for team 1 in the sig. I have been in this league for a decade now. It's IDP so it has an extra dimension to worry about. I've been struggling with what direction I want to go with this team. League started in 2011. I won back to back titles in 2013/2014. Then have been competitive basically every year except for one down year. Last year, I lost the title game with the best record and most points.

I have a really good roster I think (need QB depth) but most of my team is in their prime or just exiting it. I've been debating with myself what to do with players like Hopkins, Allen, Zeke, and Kamara. They are great players to have to help win a title this year, maybe next, but you could argue all four of them will start to quickly decline and it could happen this year. I can't decide if it's worth trading these guys to start getting an influx of young talent now to continue being good in the future or just ride this out as long as it lasts and then be a non-playoff team for a few years. I see good arguments to both sides but ultimately I keep telling myself if you have a chance at a title, you can't give it up for young players that might not make it anyways.

A good exercise I've been doing is would you rather have Kamara/Zeke or Lawrence. I know the guy with the 1.01 would likely do this trade but I think this would hurt me over the next 2/3 years and Lawrence might never be a consistent top 12 QB. But if you look at the next decade, it's likely the Lawrence side wins.

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How to balance a competitive team for the future?

Postby Gator Sens » Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 am

I think you are in a pretty good spot overall with team 1 outside of a RB3. Currently I think Zeke, Hopkins, Kamara, Allen and Golladay are all undervalued on the market so they are easy holds to hopefully make a run. These assets have hit their value cliff, so I would hold your picks to keep adding youth where you can but still keep your title window open for a couple more years. You have high end older assets which is great for title runs but not for deals. Keep making runs!