12 Team SF Rookie (and Vet) Draft - 5 rounds

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
abloom
GOAT
GOAT

12 Team SF Rookie (and Vet) Draft - 5 rounds

Postby abloom » Tue May 11, 2021 6:18 am

I try to post a rookie draft shortly after its competed and give my takes on them. It tends to be for this league (#2 in signature) because with it being SF it tends to be the most interesting. Vets are mixed in here too which I think can give a good idea of relative value for the rookies compared to vets. I didn't have many picks in this draft but I think the picks I did have highlighted more a need based picking and luxury picks. Feel free to browse, comment, or rip me apart for my picks.

12 team, SF, PPR (1.0), TE premium (1.5ppr).
20 man roster (cut down to 16 in off season, FFPC league)
Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1SF, 1Flex, 1K, 1DST

2020 undefeated champion. Team can be found in signature
my picks will be in bold but I held the 1.05, 4.06, 4.12, and 5.12, comments on picks in parentheses

Round1:
1.01 - T Law (Duh)
1.02 - Fields
1.03 - Lance (At this point I'm really happy that both fields and Lance went at 1.02 and 1.03. I have the 1.05 and had one of these two players been there I would have felt compelled to take them as the best players available. BUT with my team, while they would fill in that QB3 spot for now, they may be relegated to QB4 depending on Watson playing. Or I'd have to end up trading one of them).
1.04 - Harris (RB needy team)
1.05 - Pitts (okay okay, I've been on record saying that drafting Pitts early is probably not a great idea, and I do have Chase above him, but two factors went into this pick. (1) I already drafted Chase over Pitts in another rookie draft. (2) In this case I already have a solid WR room and with only starting 3 WRs per week max, I saw the opportunity to grab Pitts who will sit behind Kelce to start the year and hopefully work into my Flex position this year or next before Kelce eventually dies on my roster. I view this pick as a luxury pick afforded to me by my current roster. While I could have traded down, the only real option that had been available a week or two ago dried up prior to the draft. This pick was acquired prior to the 2020 season in exchange for Tannehill
1.06 - Chase
1.07 - Etienne
1.08 - Wilson (QBs tend to be a little undervalued in this league due to the constraints of roster size)
1.09 - Williams (I actually had this pick during the 2020 season and Traded it with Hayden hurst and Jordan Love for DK metcalf. Would have probably gone Williams here as well had I stayed, or possibly Waddle/smith given the change to my WR position).
1.10 - Trey Sermon (This is the first big reach to me. While I think his potential is good, I don't actually like the landing spot much. SF uses multiple backs and stress depth at the RB position. While this doesn't mean he won't carve out the primary role in SF, I think it could lead to him losing some carries that he would have elsewhere. It is however a good offense to be in, but I think I would have liked him even more if he was taken by the Jets or Dolphins).
1.11 - Smith (I have smith and waddle just about even. If Watson finds his way to Philly I think this is a steal here. I'm not concerned about smith's size and he should be fine).
1.12 - Waddle (Great pick for Miami, I think he'll be a solid producer with Tua especially with a full off season. I actually traded Cousins and this pick for Watson about a month ago. Given the drafting of a QB I'm really liking the trade now. The next pick, Jones, would have been my pick at 1.12 had I stayed in the spot)

Round 2:
2.01 - Mac Jones (Of course there is always one QB that seems to draft to the end of the 1st or beginning of the second. This year it was Jones. I like Jones, but I'm not sure if he will see much playing time in 2021. If Cam Newton is starting week 1, I doubt Jones sees the field this year, the two QBs just have too much of a different style of play and I think a new offense would really need to be installed).
2.02 - Michael Carter (This is reach #2 for me. I think he could be fine, but there are easily a few more WRs I'd pick before him)
2.03 - Bateman (Don't love his landing spot. I think he's talented and I would take him before Carter, but there are still 2-3 other WRs I think are better options)
2.04 - Elijah Moore (Like the landing spot, like the talent, good value here)
2.05 - Terrance Marshall (Again like the talent, like the landing spot. He may see a down 2021 with Anderson in town, but Anderson is done after this year in Carolina. I'd look to acquire him during the season or at the very beginning of the off season.)
2.06 - Devin Singletary (The first Vet off the board. The Bills didn't bring in a RB in the draft, and I believe only brought in Hyde this off season. There is probably one or two rookies I'd rather take a stab at rather than go with a RB, but Singletary is going to get work. I am a little concerned that Moss may see an uptick though with a full off season).
2.07 - Rondale Moore (Great value here again. I think its a good offense for him, amazing WRs to learn from)
2.08 - Mike Davis (Another Vet, and I'm not sure why Singletary went before him. I still have 1 WR that I'd want to try before going vets, but he doesn't end up going in this draft until 3.04. I think it does demonstrate the point that I feel good about 12 rookies and okay about another 4-6. The rest I'm not really interested in.)
2.09 - Gainwell
2.10 - Ryan Fitzpatrick (Solid vet pick in a SF league. Should have 2021 value, unsure of 2022. Likely can add a bit and flip for a late first in season if needed).
2.11 - Rashad Penny
2.12 - Parris Cambell

Round 3:
3.01 - Darnell Mooney
3.02 - Cole Kmet
3.03 - Alexander Mattison (well I have no one to blame but myself. As a Cook owner I had mattison on my team last year, but he was my last cut as it was between him and Andy Dalton. In retrospect wish I had kept Mattison but was pretty sure Dalton wouldn't have had rookie competition this year. Oh well.)
3.04 - Kadarius Toney (I think he went nearly a full round after he should have. He has first round draft capital, and atleast one other team in Jacksonville wanted him in the first.)
3.05 - Dyami Brown
3.06 - WAS DST (I was eyeing them with my 4th round pick. For those with DSTs, washinton is going to have a good year I think. A better offense and still a potent Defense).
3.07 - Blake Jarwin
3.08 - Pat Freiemuth (again probably a round later than expected, but rookie TEs don't tend to produce well. I have concerns with Life after Ben too.)
3.09 - Chuba Hubbard
3.10 - Gabriel Davis
3.11 - Rhamondre Stevenson
3.12 - Amon-Ra St. Brown (maybe the top receiver in Detroit. I think the offense gets funneled through swift, hock, and williams this year).

Round 4:
4.01 - Elijah Mitchell
4.02 - Tarik Cohen (liked him a lot more before they signed Damien Williams)
4.03 - Darrel Henderson
4.04 - Gerald Everett
4.05 - Amari Rodgers
4.06 - Tyrod Taylor (My first pick since 1.05. I'd be lying if I said I am not concerned about Watson's availability this year or Dalton holding onto his starting job. Having only 2 reliable QBs in a SF league seems like a bad idea. So I go Tyrod here with the plan to take Mills at 4.12. Again here I'm addressing my biggest holes on my roster
4.07 - Jimmy G (I think he plays the season. SF is a playoff team and they want to be a playoff team so their 1st rounder they gave up is lower. Jimmy G gives them the best chance to do that at the start of the season, and as I mentioned before with Jones and Cam in NE, the offenses would have to be different. Jimmy G should be the starter unless injured this year. I personally just didn't want to take hat chance with the pick before)
4.08 - Austin Hooper
4.09 - Khalil Herbert
4.10 - Sony Michel
4.11 - D'Wayne Eskridge (I think this is nice value for him. The draft capital is nice, but the landing spot is bad unless they get a new HC)
4.12 - Davis Mills (well I got him. Houston QB acquired) Ideally Im hoping Tyrod plays 2021, they give Mills a shot at the end of the season and they move Watson after his legal issues/suspension are resolved. Houston could draft antoher QB next year, but I think they have so many holes everywhere they let Mills show what he has for a season or two while they rebuild their team from the BoB disaster

Round 5:
5.01 - Kylin Hill
5.02 - Van Jefferson
5.03 - Nico Collins (nice value)
5.04 - Chris Evans
5.05 - Kellen Mond
5.06 - Brevin Jordan (too early for him imo. Sorry but that day 3 draft capital crushed him in my mind)
5.07 - Josh Reynold (Like this)
5.08 - Teddy Bridgewater
5.09 - Anthony Firsker
5.10 - Jared Cook (Love him. I think Cook is the TE to have in LAC for 2021)
5.11 - Darrynton Evans
5.12 - NE DST - Another Luxury pick for me. NE DST had a huge season in 2019 and in 2020 NE had the most opt outs in the league including some significant pieces on the O-line and Defense. Last year I ran with the steelers for most of the season. They started off good, but 2nd half they were pretty average to bad due to injuries. I think there is a better chance that I would play the NE DST than any vet/rookie that I pick up here. and Eventually at the end of 2021 season I'll have to drop back down to 16 players which means any vet/rookie I get here is likely going to be dropable.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 12 Team SF Rookie (and Vet) Draft - 5 rounds

Postby Gator Sens » Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 am

Appreciate the post and breakdown! Lots of vets which really speaks to the lack of depth in this class. Taylor was a great pickup in SF. Good stuff here.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 12 Team SF Rookie (and Vet) Draft - 5 rounds

Postby abloom » Tue May 11, 2021 6:27 am

Gator Sens wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 am Appreciate the post and breakdown! Lots of vets which really speaks to the lack of depth in this class. Taylor was a great pickup in SF. Good stuff here.
Yup didnt' noticed it as the draft was happening but pretty much right around 2.06-2.08 I just want to grab a vet over a rookie (minus some later round rookie fliers)
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01