Cleaning out Taxi Squad/getting roster ready for draft

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ProfPoobah
Role Player
Role Player

Cleaning out Taxi Squad/getting roster ready for draft

Postby ProfPoobah » Thu May 06, 2021 10:58 am

My dynasty league (Team 1 in Sig) has our rookie draft in just under a month, and we have to incorporate our taxi squads into our rosters a week before the draft. So people are cutting players to get to the required roster sizes, and I want to continue my rebuild of this orphaned team.

First, I will need to either cut Bowden and/or Benjamin, or cut players instead of them. My current thought is to keep them both, in this order. If they change Bowden's designation to WR, I'll likely change my mind, but right now he's a WR/RB eligible, and my RB are weak. ARI did not draft a RB, and as of yesterday they didn't add one in free agency, so Benjamin is the possible (probable?) RB3 with at least one fragile back in front of him. If I have to cut two players, JJ Watt is probably first to go, in my mind. He's injury prone and in a new situation, I only have to start one DL, I like Hunter better, Sweat has DL/LB eligibility, and there are currently lots of DL/DL eligible on the wire (Brian Burns, Deron Payne, Jeffrey Simmons, Olivier Vernon, Trey Hendrickson). I've had Watt out on the trade block for almost a month, and not even a nibble, not even an offer of a 5th round pick. Not sure where I want to go with the other cut. How does this sound so far?

Next, I want to see if any of the cut players are an improvement on my current roster. The best players I see so far are: Duke Johnson, Jonathan Abram, James Washington (ironic that I traded him to the guy that cut him), Romeo Okwara and Donald Parham. Do any of these jump ahead of Benjamin, or whoever the last guy I cut is? I would say that if I take on a new defensive player, I will be cutting a defensive player. Johnson intrigues me the most, though he is still unsigned. Maybe that's why he intrigues me the most. *shrug*

Appreciate any thoughts about my next steps, barring another trade, prior to the draft.
Team 1 - 10-Team SF Full PPR - QB/2RB/2WR/TE/SF/3FLEX
QB - Jackson/Fields/Prescott/Garoppolo/Brissett/Lance
RB - Bijan/Breece/Stevenson/Foreman/Kelley/Hull/DJackson
WR - Chase/AJBrown/Wilson/Nucua/DJohnson/EMoore/Chark/DRobinson
TE - LaPorta/McBride/Fant
TAXI - Levis/Shaheed/Perry/Scott/Iosivas/CJones/Dulcich/Kraft/Likely/DAllen
2024 - 1.08, 2.02, 4.01
2025 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4

Team 2 - 12-Team SF Full PPR - TE .5 Prem - QB/RB/2WR/SF/4FLEX
QB - Jackson/Goff/Murray/Ridder/Brissett
RB - KWilliams/Swift/AJones/Dowdle
WR - Chase/Waddle/Metcalf/Higgins/Mims/Jennings
TE - JJohnson/Mallory/Woods
TAXI - Hooker/RJohnson/Spears/Chandler/Iosivas
IR - Smith-Schuster
2024 - 1.05, 1.08, 2.02, 3.06, 3.07, 4.05
2025 - 1,2,2,2,3
2026 - 2,3,4

dblj1199
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Cleaning out Taxi Squad/getting roster ready for draft

Postby dblj1199 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 am

I guess my first thing I see is why 5 qb's in a 10 team 1 qb league? I think Fisker can be dropped and Watt. You can easily drop 2 of them to get ready for the draft.
2015, 2017, 2022 Champ.
10 team, 6 pt all td, ppr, 1.5 te ppr. 30 man roster QB, SF, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex (r/w/t), K, 3 IDP

Qb- Mahomes, Prudy, Baker
RB- S Barkley, Pollard, B Hall, K Herbert, D Foreman, R Johnson, Zeke, J Robinson, Z White, J Wilson(i.r.), J McKinnon, J Mason, J Hill
WR- J Jefferson, Deebo, DJ Moore, OBJ, S Moore, J Jennings, C Austin, Trey Palmer
TE- Andrews, Higbee, Dulchich, Ferguson, D Washington
IDP(3)- P Queen,D Perryman, J Jewell, J Campbell, N Dean (i.r.)
K- E McPherson, Butker

draft picks
2024- 2, 4, 5
2025- 3, 3, 4, 5

ProfPoobah
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ProfPoobah » Thu May 06, 2021 11:25 am

dblj1199 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 am I guess my first thing I see is why 5 qb's in a 10 team 1 qb league? I think Fisker can be dropped and Watt. You can easily drop 2 of them to get ready for the draft.
Fair question. We're going Superflex, though admittedly not until 2024. I inherited Stafford, Wentz and Carr. I grabbed Newton before he re-signed with NE, hoping to be able to trade him. I added Love a few weeks ago, and really like that these days. Since the draft, Newton is probably close to being my 2nd drop.
Team 1 - 10-Team SF Full PPR - QB/2RB/2WR/TE/SF/3FLEX
QB - Jackson/Fields/Prescott/Garoppolo/Brissett/Lance
RB - Bijan/Breece/Stevenson/Foreman/Kelley/Hull/DJackson
WR - Chase/AJBrown/Wilson/Nucua/DJohnson/EMoore/Chark/DRobinson
TE - LaPorta/McBride/Fant
TAXI - Levis/Shaheed/Perry/Scott/Iosivas/CJones/Dulcich/Kraft/Likely/DAllen
2024 - 1.08, 2.02, 4.01
2025 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 4
2026 - 1, 2, 3, 4

Team 2 - 12-Team SF Full PPR - TE .5 Prem - QB/RB/2WR/SF/4FLEX
QB - Jackson/Goff/Murray/Ridder/Brissett
RB - KWilliams/Swift/AJones/Dowdle
WR - Chase/Waddle/Metcalf/Higgins/Mims/Jennings
TE - JJohnson/Mallory/Woods
TAXI - Hooker/RJohnson/Spears/Chandler/Iosivas
IR - Smith-Schuster
2024 - 1.05, 1.08, 2.02, 3.06, 3.07, 4.05
2025 - 1,2,2,2,3
2026 - 2,3,4

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Even with going SF in 2024, Newton can be dropped if you are struggling with cuts. Firkser is also a drop. He is going to get more looks this year, but I'm not sure that is anything big. Abram might be worth a stash depending on scoring but if he compounds the roster issue, I would hold off there too.