Thielen for Mooney Trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Thielen for Mooney Trade

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 am
SteelersX6 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:17 am
Gator Sens wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am If Mooney hits this could be a good deal long term, but I think you sold low here. Thielens age drops his value, but I think you could have received more in season.
I thought about that but was actively trying to add Mooney and wanted to get him before his price goes up. Definitely a bit of a gamble but, I am in two leagues where you can't even get a second rounder for Thielen. I agree I may have been able to get more if a contender loses a WR mid season but the opportunity to add a young WR with upside was too tempting,

Plus, the 3.02 in a two QB superflex league, where position players get pushed down the board, is likely gonna net me a decent prospect, especially if I can add something small to it to move into the 2nd round (Brevin Jordon, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, or a decent WR prospect in a very deep class).
Locking up your guy is always fun in dynasty. Based on my league Thielens price is low so perhaps there is no better deal to find. This could take a year or two to play out. As of now, I think you lost some value but Mooney and the picks could hit and this looks much different in a couple years. Thielens value will continue to drop also.
Definitely agree that the value is not equal at the moment and it will take a year or two. If I end up with a low end WR2/high end WR3 when Thielen is retired, I'll be happy. Anything more will be a bonus (including what I end up getting from those picks). Maybe Mooney is the next Desean Jackson, we'll see. I did a lot of research before I made the trade and just about everything I read said Mooney is a sneaky breakout candidate. I know he wasn't a super highly touted prospect coming out of college but, neither was Hines Ward, and he did okay. Not saying Mooney is gonna be the next Ward but, you never know.

It is fun going after and locking up "your guys" in Dynasty. That's what makes it interesting. I just started doing Dynasty 3 years ago. Was always a redraft guy and never even considered Dynasty until then. Now, it's all I do.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR
QB: Wilson, Ryan, Lock
RB: Barkley/Taylor/Cohen/Hines/Pollard
WR: Adams/Diggs/Ridley/Sutton/G. Davis/Slayton/Duvernay/Van Jefferson
TE: Waller/I. Smith/Trautman/Bryant
Picks: 2.01, (2) 2022 1sts and (1) 2022 2nd

12 Team/1 Point PPR/Superflex (Built via 2 Team Dispersal this year)
QB: Stafford, Jones, Garoppalo, Taylor, Rudolph
RB: Swift, D. Harris, J. Wilson, White, Michel
WR: Hill, Metcalf, Smith-Schuster Mooney, Slayton, Campbell, Perriman, Boykin
TE: Gesicki, Ebron, Jarwin, Arnold

Picks: 1.05, 3.02, 4.09, 2022 1st and 2nd

megager
Role Player
Role Player

Postby megager » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Interesting trade. I'm a bears fan. I am not 100% sure on Mooney. I have a feeling they will draft a wide receiver if not this year next. I do not believe Mooney profiles as a WR1. I hope I am wrong of course.
Chicago doesn't have a terrific record recently of developing receivers due to poor QB play. A lot of us had high hopes for Miller and he looks like he won't do much now.

I believe Thielen has little trade value now so this deal will look good in 2 years for sure. I might have waited til in season after he had a few good games as I think contenders may have been willing to pay more to help a push. But under stand you also run the risk of a cliff this season.

bennythedog93
All Pro
All Pro

Postby bennythedog93 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:57 pm

I don’t mind it, as long as you’re thinking future. As a Mooney owner and a Bears fan in the Chicago area, I’ll giggle if he sniffs WR1 status.
PW league - 10 tm Dynasty league-Roster/Keep 28 - Pass:1/20 3pt TD; Run/Rec:1/10 6pt TD; no ppr; no neg pts
st:1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d, no flex
QB - TLaw, Tua, JimmyG
RB - Chubb, Javonte, Perine, Jaleel, BRob, Moss, Bigsby, RoJo (Chi), Tucker, C-Rod, Chase, Spiller, Zamir
WR - Addison, Godwin, Nico, Gabe, Zay Jones, Mooney, Hyatt, Tillman
TE - Kincaid, Kraft
PK -Tucker
Def - 49ers
Picks: 2024 - 1-7, add’l 3rd; 2025 - 1-7

E league - 14 team-can keep up to 9 but keeper round moves up 1 each year, no 1st or 2nd round players can be kept; number is parens = next year’s keeper round; * = player was kept for 2023
Pass 1/20, 4pt TD, Run/Rec 1/10, 6pt TD, 1ppr, Fum/Int = -1, other scoring is pretty regular
QB - Jimmy G(*16), Purdy(*9), Stafford(12)
RB - D-Mont, AJ Dillon, Lenny(17), Carter (19), D’Onta(9), P Taylor
WR - JJeff(3), Adams(*4), Godwin(*8), MWill(*5), OBJ(*13), Woods, Hyatt(10), Tillman(18)
TE - PatF(6), Mayer(10)
PK - Moody
Def - TBB

Buckhill Bombers
MVP
MVP

Postby Buckhill Bombers » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Mooney is one of my favorite buy lows this year...so I'm okay with the trade but you probably should have gotten better picks with it...

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:15 pm

megager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:31 pm Interesting trade. I'm a bears fan. I am not 100% sure on Mooney. I have a feeling they will draft a wide receiver if not this year next. I do not believe Mooney profiles as a WR1. I hope I am wrong of course.
Chicago doesn't have a terrific record recently of developing receivers due to poor QB play. A lot of us had high hopes for Miller and he looks like he won't do much now.

I believe Thielen has little trade value now so this deal will look good in 2 years for sure. I might have waited til in season after he had a few good games as I think contenders may have been willing to pay more to help a push. But under stand you also run the risk of a cliff this season.
I totally agree that Mooney will likely never reach WR1 status and I did not make the trade with those expectations. If he gets into that WR2 conversation and can sustain it for the next 5 or 6 years, I will be plenty satisfied. And I fully expect that the Bears will draft another WR. I'm just counting on Mooney establishing himself enough in year 2 that he continues to be that deep threat for years to come and that, if and when A-Rob leaves next season, his role will expand even more.

As for picks, I do agree that I may have gotten more in season but, I was specifically targeting Mooney and I didn't want to risk his asking price going up with a good start to the season. I believe some owners are already catching on because I made a pretty decent offer in another league and was turned down. Buying low means being ahead of the curve and I have a feeling I may be on Mooney. Plus, I have some specific sleepers that I am fairly confident will fall to me with the 3.02 pick (if I can't use it to move up into the 2nd round). When you are building a team from a dispersal draft, you have to take some risks to improve and make the team your own. I am definitely making the moves I'm making with 2022 and beyond as my focus.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR
QB: Wilson, Ryan, Lock
RB: Barkley/Taylor/Cohen/Hines/Pollard
WR: Adams/Diggs/Ridley/Sutton/G. Davis/Slayton/Duvernay/Van Jefferson
TE: Waller/I. Smith/Trautman/Bryant
Picks: 2.01, (2) 2022 1sts and (1) 2022 2nd

12 Team/1 Point PPR/Superflex (Built via 2 Team Dispersal this year)
QB: Stafford, Jones, Garoppalo, Taylor, Rudolph
RB: Swift, D. Harris, J. Wilson, White, Michel
WR: Hill, Metcalf, Smith-Schuster Mooney, Slayton, Campbell, Perriman, Boykin
TE: Gesicki, Ebron, Jarwin, Arnold

Picks: 1.05, 3.02, 4.09, 2022 1st and 2nd