Thielen for Mooney Trade

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Thielen for Mooney Trade

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:01 am

Just made the following deal for Team 2 in signature:

Gave: Adam Thielen
Received: Darnell Mooney, Pick 3:02, Pick 4:09

I am currently in "trade age for upside" mode and wanted to hear some thoughts on the deal. I built this team thru a two team dispersal draft earlier this year and, though I feel I will be competitive this season, I believe I am a year or two away from being championship caliber. I was actively shopping Thielen and seeking an early 2nd round pick or multiple later 2nd round picks and received this offer, which I accepted immediately.

I feel this was a solid return for a soon to be 31 year old WR whose best days are likely behind him. I believe he still has two, maybe three, years of decent productivity left but am looking to build my team around a group of young players with upside and I feel that Mooney fits that bill.

I know the Bears' QB situation is in flux but I think Dalton will be an upgrade over what they had last season, particularly in the deep passing game. Nagy is a big play kind of coach and I feel, even with A-Rob back and a likely WR being added to the mix via the draft, Mooney's arrow is pointing up. He had over 600 yards and 4 TDs last season and would have likely had closer to 800 and 8 TDs had the QB not missed on him on several big plays. With Miller on the way out, I believe Mooney's spot in the top 3 is secure and he will be the deep threat in the offense.

I see Mooney's ceiling as a low end WR and he's only going into year 2. The 4.09 pick is kind of a dart throw but I definitely want to get into the 2nd round of the rookie draft and think I can use the 3.02 pick to help me get there. Any thoughts???
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR
QB: Wilson, Ryan, Lock
RB: Barkley/Taylor/Cohen/Hines/Pollard
WR: Adams/Diggs/Ridley/Sutton/G. Davis/Slayton/Duvernay/Van Jefferson
TE: Waller/I. Smith/Trautman/Bryant
Picks: 2.01, (2) 2022 1sts and (1) 2022 2nd

12 Team/1 Point PPR/Superflex (Built via 2 Team Dispersal this year)
QB: Stafford, Jones, Garoppalo, Taylor, Rudolph
RB: Swift, D. Harris, J. Wilson, White, Michel
WR: Hill, Metcalf, Smith-Schuster Mooney, Slayton, Campbell, Perriman, Boykin
TE: Gesicki, Ebron, Jarwin, Arnold

Picks: 1.05, 3.02, 4.09, 2022 1st and 2nd

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Thielen for Mooney Trade

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am

If Mooney hits this could be a good deal long term, but I think you sold low here. Thielens age drops his value, but I think you could have received more in season.

dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Postby dvpkwys » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am

Not enough for me to move Thielen, a contender would have given more IMO. Mooney is ok, nothing great for me with the QB in Chicago.
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:17 am

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am If Mooney hits this could be a good deal long term, but I think you sold low here. Thielens age drops his value, but I think you could have received more in season.
I thought about that but was actively trying to add Mooney and wanted to get him before his price goes up. Definitely a bit of a gamble but, I am in two leagues where you can't even get a second rounder for Thielen. I agree I may have been able to get more if a contender loses a WR mid season but the opportunity to add a young WR with upside was too tempting,

Plus, the 3.02 in a two QB superflex league, where position players get pushed down the board, is likely gonna net me a decent prospect, especially if I can add something small to it to move into the 2nd round (Brevin Jordon, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, or a decent WR prospect in a very deep class).
Last edited by SteelersX6 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 am

Feels like you left some value on the table here to be honest. Those picks don't do much for me and while Mooney is interesting, Thielen is coming off a WR1 season and nothing around him has really changed.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Ekeler Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am

Odds are thielen puts up a few more productive seasons. Hes worth a little more than mooney currently, but that could change quick if mooney does take a step.

For a contender id be holding Thielen. In a rebuild Mooney might be about as much as you could expect in return for Theilen these days.

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:30 am

dvpkwys wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am Not enough for me to move Thielen, a contender would have given more IMO. Mooney is ok, nothing great for me with the QB in Chicago.
He is only going into his second year and Dalton won't be their QB forever. Whether they actually make the right decision on who his replacement will be is definitely up in the air but, I'm willing to take the chance on a dude who got 600 yards and 4 TDs with a terrible QB. Plus, I don't think A-Rob is back in Chicago next year, which makes Mooney the potential #2, even if they draft another WR.

I wouldn't have done it straight up but the 3.02 pick pushed it over the edge. I know that doesn't seem like much but I'm pretty sure I can flip it to get into the 2nd round. I have a guy who offered me the 2.11 for Parris Campbell. If I add the 3.02 to him, I may be able to get his 2.05. This may be the best draft in years to have the 2.05, IMO.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:30 am
dvpkwys wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am Not enough for me to move Thielen, a contender would have given more IMO. Mooney is ok, nothing great for me with the QB in Chicago.
He is only going into his second year and Dalton won't be their QB forever. Whether they actually make the right decision on who his replacement will be is definitely up in the air but, I'm willing to take the chance on a dude who got 600 yards and 4 TDs with a terrible QB. Plus, I don't think A-Rob is back in Chicago next year, which makes Mooney the potential #2, even if they draft another WR.

I wouldn't have done it straight up but the 3.02 pick pushed it over the edge. I know that doesn't seem like much but I'm pretty sure I can flip it to get into the 2nd round. I have a guy who offered me the 2.11 for Parris Campbell. If I add the 3.02 to him, I may be able to get his 2.05. This may be the best draft in years to have the 2.05, IMO.
I agree with your long term logic on Chicago. I see the bears being middle of the pack in the division and the staff/team looking much different in '22 as a result. It remains to be seen what that means for Mooney, but I doubt Dalton, ARob, or even Nagy are back for another season.

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 am

CGW wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am Odds are thielen puts up a few more productive seasons. Hes worth a little more than mooney currently, but that could change quick if mooney does take a step.

For a contender id be holding Thielen. In a rebuild Mooney might be about as much as you could expect in return for Theilen these days.
I agree Thielen will produce more than Mooney over the next few seasons but I don't see myself as a contender for at least a year or two. I'm not in complete rebuild mode but the team was build via dispersal and you have to take a few gambles to turn a team like that into a contender, IMO. Saying Thielen is worth this or that and actually getting those things is a different story.

Plus, if I turn that 3.02 pick into a 2nd rounder (or even if I don't and draft a player there), I'll get two cracks at getting someone who will have an impact long after Thielen is out of the league. It was a gamble for sure, but it would also be a gamble to hold onto a 31 year old WR and hope to get something better from a contender in season. Every team I offered Thielen to up until this trade said they had no interest in him, and I wasn't asking for the moon. Maybe I could have done better but I'm probably higher on Mooney's potential that most. I guess if people put the same value on players, fantasy football wouldn't be very much fun.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:53 am

CGW wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am Odds are thielen puts up a few more productive seasons. Hes worth a little more than mooney currently, but that could change quick if mooney does take a step.

I agree Thielen will produce more than Mooney over the next few seasons but I don't see myself as a contender for at least a year or two. I'm not in complete rebuild mode but the team was build via dispersal and you have to take a few gambles to turn a team like that into a contender, IMO. Saying Thielen is worth this or that and actually finding a team to give you those things is a different story.

Plus, if I turn that 3.02 pick into a 2nd rounder (or even if I don't and draft a player there), I'll get two cracks at getting someone who will have an impact long after Thielen is out of the league. It was a gamble for sure, but it would also be a gamble to hold onto a 31 year old WR and hope to get something better from a contender down the line. Every team I offered Thielen to up until this trade said they had no interest in him, and I wasn't asking for the moon. Maybe I could have done better but I'm probably higher on Mooney's potential that most. I guess if people put the same value on players, fantasy football wouldn't be very much fun.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am

I'm in a similar spot in a SF league where I'm selling off veterans for young players and picks. I sold Thielen a few days ago for the following return:

Gave: Thielen, 3.07, 3.10
Got: Ruggs, 2022 1st

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR

QB Hurts Love Cousins
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Ekeler Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 am

CGW wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 am
SteelersX6 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:30 am

I agree with your long term logic on Chicago. I see the bears being middle of the pack in the division and the staff/team looking much different in '22 as a result. It remains to be seen what that means for Mooney, but I doubt Dalton, ARob, or even Nagy are back for another season.
Dalton and A-Rob not being back certainly seems like it would be a good thing for Mooney.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 am

pmart33 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am I'm in a similar spot in a SF league where I'm selling off veterans for young players and picks. I sold Thielen a few days ago for the following return:

Damn, wish I was in that league! I offered him to every team in my league with a pick in the top 4 of the 2nd round and got ZERO takers.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:17 am
Gator Sens wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 am If Mooney hits this could be a good deal long term, but I think you sold low here. Thielens age drops his value, but I think you could have received more in season.
I thought about that but was actively trying to add Mooney and wanted to get him before his price goes up. Definitely a bit of a gamble but, I am in two leagues where you can't even get a second rounder for Thielen. I agree I may have been able to get more if a contender loses a WR mid season but the opportunity to add a young WR with upside was too tempting,

Plus, the 3.02 in a two QB superflex league, where position players get pushed down the board, is likely gonna net me a decent prospect, especially if I can add something small to it to move into the 2nd round (Brevin Jordon, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, or a decent WR prospect in a very deep class).
Locking up your guy is always fun in dynasty. Based on my league Thielens price is low so perhaps there is no better deal to find. This could take a year or two to play out. As of now, I think you lost some value but Mooney and the picks could hit and this looks much different in a couple years. Thielens value will continue to drop also.

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:13 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:01 am
pmart33 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am I'm in a similar spot in a SF league where I'm selling off veterans for young players and picks. I sold Thielen a few days ago for the following return:

Damn, wish I was in that league! I offered him to every team in my league with a pick in the top 4 of the 2nd round and got ZERO takers.
The window to buy 2021 1sts and even early 2nds is closed. You'll probably have better luck targeting future picks at this point. Even if it means holding Thielen until closer to the start of the season.

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR

QB Hurts Love Cousins
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem