Team Direction/Trade Question (POLL)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

POLL

Rebuild
20%
Stay the Course
20%
Go All In
60%

Total votes: 5

Z$$$
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Team Direction/Trade Question (POLL)

Postby Z$$$ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Team 1 in sig.

I’m at a pitchfork in the road and need help.

I can’t win enough to make money and can’t lose enough to get high draft picks with this team. I also can’t decide which way I want to go with it. Do I try to combine my 2 2021 1st for another RB? Do I try to sell Adams for younger player(s)/pick(s)? Do I stay the course and just pick BPA this year?

All in: 2 teams picking in the top 5 this year have young teams, but one has A Jones and the other has Zeke. Been wavering if I should go after one of those with my 1st...

Rebuild: Another team that is a top contender each year has Akers, whom I’d love to grab, and pick 1.10. Been thinking he may be interested in Adams.

These are just a few scenarios that I’ve been pondering the past few weeks.

Please let me know which path to take:

Left: Rebuild
Straight: Stay the Course
Right: Go All In

Thanks!
12 Team 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 5IDP
QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Achane, Gibson, Dillon, Sanders
WR: Jefferson, Lamb, G Wilson, Rice, Burks
TE: Goedert, Likely, Musgraves
2024 Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11

16 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Stafford, Fields
RB: Gibbs, Singletary, Dallas, Juszczyk
WR: Lamb, Burks, G Wilson, JSN, Q Johnson, Hardman, Goodwin
TE: Dulcich, Albert O, Gray, Granson

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Team Direction/Trade Question (POLL)

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:00 pm

Tough place to be for sure...You have some solid pieces in place based on the format but also not enough high end assets based on the format. I can see how you are stuck in the middle of the league. I don't view your team as an out and out contender which leaves you in a tough spot. I would shop CMC and Adams and only move them if you can get a haul that helps you now and long term. Long term looks to be the biggest issue with this team based on some of your high end assets likely approaching the value cliff. Again, I would shop CMC and Adams and see if it's worth moving them. If not, obviously hold and reevaluate mid season once you know how your season is going and could possibly move for better packages in season. I would be leaning retooling here but I don't think it's that simple on the surface.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Too funny that as I was thinking this over and started reading the first response, I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think you need a full rebuild, but I think you should consider a rebuild-on-the-fly. JAllen, Gibson, TMac, Sutton and Hock are good building blocks that fit in a rebuild. CMC and DAdams are great pieces on a contender, but could also land you another 1.07 non-championship season which isn't very helpful.

Instead of hoping for a lucky season of true contention only to fall frustratingly short, I'd look to move CMC and Adams after the NFL draft but before your fantasy draft. Target teams with high 2021 picks. If you can turn these two into two top5 2021 picks and 2 younger NFL players (or 2022 1st round picks), you should be all set next season. Assume you hit on 50% of your 2021 1st round picks, that will give you an improved base for the next 5 years.

Another tactic to consider is to trade CMC and Adams for younger players. Maybe CMC for Akers+Chark, and Adams for Swift+Diontae. Maybe not those exact players, but I could see some contenders being willing to do those deals.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 pm

I’m not sure what everyone is expecting a team to look like to have a chance to win? You have the #1 player at rb and wr that already makes you strong in a fairly shallow format. You have a high decent #2 rb, some good WRs, a top 3 qb, and a top 5-6 TE. If you can sell those picks for a good rb you’re a strong contender, even if there’s some super team in the league.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Mtt33 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 pm I’m not sure what everyone is expecting a team to look like to have a chance to win? You have the #1 player at rb and wr that already makes you strong in a fairly shallow format. You have a high decent #2 rb, some good WRs, a top 3 qb, and a top 5-6 TE. If you can sell those picks for a good rb you’re a strong contender, even if there’s some super team in the league.
I'm thinking that in a 10-team league, there are at least two much stronger teams. Maybe a team with Mahomes, 2 top 6 WR, 2 top 7 RB, and a killer DEF.

The OP definitely has a strong team. With a couple of breaks (a breakout season by Gibson or TMac and Hock) he could make the finals. OTOH, if Allen regresses and Gibson and TMac both settle into good but not great fantasy players, the team could be good but not good enough. If I owned his team, I wouldn't feel bad about it.

In a 10-team league, I know there are other teams with solid depth at several positions that can withstand a bad season by one of its studs. I'm not sure this team can. If Allen regresses to a QB10 season, he won't carry fantasy teams like he did last year. Allen will be a cog in a machine and not the engine that drives the machine - and there's no guarantee Ryan will be any better than QB10. If CMC posts a RB10 season and Gibson remains around RB9-11, there is no other RB that could possibly step up on this roster. There's more depth at WR, but nothing exciting at TE.

And don't forget this league starts 2Flex. For now, he could go with 2WR, but if something happens to Kupp/Sutton, he'll have trouble fielding two good Flex players. As comprised now, this team needs a flawless injuryless season from all players to be a true contender. He could go all-in with Zeke or AJones, and I think he'd have a good shot this year, and maybe next. Maybe next. But sitting at the start of the 2022 season with Zeke, Adams, CMC possibly all at low-value would be a risk.

I like this roster, but I worry that if he has a disappointing season in 2021, it might be difficult to get the same kind of value for CMC+Adams after the 2021 season as he could now. I don't think there is a wrong decision, either rebuild-on-the-fly or go all in. It's just a matter of risk tolerance and roster maintenance.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Z$$$
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Z$$$ » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 am

Gator Sens wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:00 pm Tough place to be for sure...You have some solid pieces in place based on the format but also not enough high end assets based on the format. I can see how you are stuck in the middle of the league. I don't view your team as an out and out contender which leaves you in a tough spot. I would shop CMC and Adams and only move them if you can get a haul that helps you now and long term. Long term looks to be the biggest issue with this team based on some of your high end assets likely approaching the value cliff. Again, I would shop CMC and Adams and see if it's worth moving them. If not, obviously hold and reevaluate mid season once you know how your season is going and could possibly move for better packages in season. I would be leaning retooling here but I don't think it's that simple on the surface.
Would offering Adams FOR Akers & 1.10 be enough of a return? Having 1.06, 1.09 & 1.10 wouldn’t put me in a good place for the top RBs, Akers takes care of that, but would give me more shots at some decent WR prospects.
12 Team 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 5IDP
QB: Rodgers, Love
RB: Achane, Gibson, Dillon, Sanders
WR: Jefferson, Lamb, G Wilson, Rice, Burks
TE: Goedert, Likely, Musgraves
2024 Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11

16 Team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Stafford, Fields
RB: Gibbs, Singletary, Dallas, Juszczyk
WR: Lamb, Burks, G Wilson, JSN, Q Johnson, Hardman, Goodwin
TE: Dulcich, Albert O, Gray, Granson

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 am

It's a nice team, but it is 10 teams so there's probably some juggernauts. However, I'm staying put unless you get overpays for Adams/CMC. I'd look to see what 6 and 9 could land you as I'm not in love with anyone in 1QB at those picks

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:53 am

Z$$$ wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 am
Gator Sens wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:00 pm Tough place to be for sure...You have some solid pieces in place based on the format but also not enough high end assets based on the format. I can see how you are stuck in the middle of the league. I don't view your team as an out and out contender which leaves you in a tough spot. I would shop CMC and Adams and only move them if you can get a haul that helps you now and long term. Long term looks to be the biggest issue with this team based on some of your high end assets likely approaching the value cliff. Again, I would shop CMC and Adams and see if it's worth moving them. If not, obviously hold and reevaluate mid season once you know how your season is going and could possibly move for better packages in season. I would be leaning retooling here but I don't think it's that simple on the surface.
Would offering Adams FOR Akers & 1.10 be enough of a return? Having 1.06, 1.09 & 1.10 wouldn’t put me in a good place for the top RBs, Akers takes care of that, but would give me more shots at some decent WR prospects.
Getting Akers is a nice piece if you are looking at going the retooling route, but I would want an earlier 1st still on top.