Thoughts on 2 Blockbusters

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Thoughts on 2 Blockbusters

Postby SteelersX6 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 am

Team 2 in signature. Initial build via 2 team dispersal. Made 2 recent trades to personalize my team. Just looking for some feedback.

Trade 1
Gave: Akers, Sutton
Received: Metcalf, 2021 Pick 1.11

Trade 2
Gave: 2021 Pick 1.01, 2021 Pick 1.11, Fournette
Received: Swift, Pick 1.06

In the first trade, giving up Akers crippled an already tenuous RB situation but I am a DK guy and, pairing him with Hill gives me the best 1-2 punch at WR in the league. He's a top 5 WR and only 23 so I felt it was worth it. I also subscribe to the theory of building a dynasty team with stud WRs because they are less volatile and retain value longer.

In the second trade, it was tough parting with the 1.01 but I landed a replacement for Akers (one I have ranked slightly ahead of Akers) and moved up from 1.11 to 1.06. That will still allow me to add a top end rookie QB, or give me the flexibility to add a top rookie RB or Pitts/Chase if one of my guys doesn't fall or something happens to improve my current QB situation (like Jimmy G. getting traded to New England).

It was a big decision allowing Trevor Lawrence to slip away but I have never been a guy to draft a QB high in one QB formats and I don't need a top end QB in superflex. I personally think the QB2 in superflex is the more important QB because that's where you get the advantage in that format. If you don't need a top tier QB in one QB leagues, why do you need one in superflex? I've never understood people in two QB leagues who draft Mahomes or Murray in the 1st round, then wait and draft Lock or Bridgewater in the 6th. I'd rather have 2 above average guys like Stafford and Tannehill.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR
QB: Wilson, Ryan, Lock
RB: Barkley/Taylor/Cohen/Hines/Pollard
WR: Adams/Diggs/Ridley/Sutton/G. Davis/Slayton/Duvernay/Van Jefferson
TE: Waller/I. Smith/Trautman/Bryant
Picks: 2.01, (2) 2022 1sts and (1) 2022 2nd

12 Team/1 Point PPR/Superflex (Built via 2 Team Dispersal this year)
QB: Stafford, Jones, Garoppalo, Taylor, Rudolph
RB: Swift, D. Harris, J. Wilson, White, Michel
WR: Hill, Metcalf, Smith-Schuster Mooney, Slayton, Campbell, Perriman, Boykin
TE: Gesicki, Ebron, Jarwin, Arnold

Picks: 1.05, 3.02, 4.09, 2022 1st and 2nd

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Thoughts on 2 Blockbusters

Postby BucBuc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am

Im not a fan of either trade you did Akers for DK is pretty even and probably leaning Akers side but give me sutton over the 1.11. Swift is nice and all but you gave up T-law when you are looking depleted at qb.. essentially give me

Akers T-law Sutton over
DK Swift
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 am

BucBuc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am Im not a fan of either trade you did Akers for DK is pretty even and probably leaning Akers side but give me sutton over the 1.11. Swift is nice and all but you gave up T-law when you are looking depleted at qb.. essentially give me

Akers T-law Sutton over
DK Swift
I get where you are coming from but you also have to factor in the player I will get at 1.06. It looks better like this.

Akers/TLaw/Sutton
vs
Swift/DK/Fields, Lance, Wilson (or Harris, Pitts, Chase)
Last edited by SteelersX6 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 am

I dont mind trade #1, but I think Metcalf is a great piece long term. I would have held for Lawrence in trade #2 in SF for sure.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am

Both trades are fine, not great not bad. I do disagree about not needing top end QBs, but everyone has their own strategies. My issue with lower tier QBs is that you will end up constantly having to scramble to find replacements when they inevitably lose their jobs every few years. The Mahommes, Murrays, Allens etc have job security for a decade+ barring weird injuries. That's worth something.

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BucBuc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:39 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 am
BucBuc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am Im not a fan of either trade you did Akers for DK is pretty even and probably leaning Akers side but give me sutton over the 1.11. Swift is nice and all but you gave up T-law when you are looking depleted at qb.. essentially give me

Akers T-law Sutton over
DK Swift
I get where you are coming from but you also have to factor in the player I will get at 1.06. It looks better like this.

Akers/TLaw/Sutton
vs
Swift/DK/Fields, Lance, Wilson (or Harris, Pitts, Chase)
I hear ya but I'm not a Swift guy and if you don't land a solid qb at 1.06 your gonna wish you kept T-law. It can work out hopefully a nice qb falls to 1.06
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:42 am

I like the first deal a lot. I’m much higher on DK than Akers. I don’t like the second deal. Would have needed quite a bit more to deal the 1.01 in SF.

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:43 am

Gator Sens wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 am I dont mind trade #1, but I think Metcalf is a great piece long term. I would have held for Lawrence in trade #2 in SF for sure.
Definitely wasn't an easy decision but getting a second year stud RB and still being in position to get a young QB like Fields, Lance, or Wilson tipped the scales. I get that Lawrence could be the next Mahomes for fantasy in a few years but Lance, Wilson or Fields could be the next Russell Wilson and I'd be okay with that. The way the draft is set, three of the top 5 teams are pretty sound at QB and I know at least two are very needy at RB and will likely not pass on the position. I'm almost certain at least one of those guys will be there.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am

Trade 1 seems fine, but I think you then overpayed for Swift to make up that RB ground on trade 2.

Maybe trade #2 will work out. But I'm pretty sure you lost value there (as in you could have traded for more).
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am

CGW wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am Both trades are fine, not great not bad. I do disagree about not needing top end QBs, but everyone has their own strategies. My issue with lower tier QBs is that you will end up constantly having to scramble to find replacements when they inevitably lose their jobs every few years. The Mahommes, Murrays, Allens etc have job security for a decade+ barring weird injuries. That's worth something.
Definitely agree that you don't want "lower tier" QBs. Mahommes and Murray have job security for years but so do the Staffords and Wilsons of the NFL. I truly believe Stafford will thrive in LA and will give me a solid option for the next 4 or 5 years. The way the draft order is set up, I am almost certain Wilson, Fields, or Lance will fall. At least 2 teams ahead of me are set at QB (and the third is in pretty good shape) and are very needy at other positions. I wouldn't have made the deal if it was completely sacrificing QB.
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

SStory93
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SStory93 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:50 am
CGW wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:38 am Both trades are fine, not great not bad. I do disagree about not needing top end QBs, but everyone has their own strategies. My issue with lower tier QBs is that you will end up constantly having to scramble to find replacements when they inevitably lose their jobs every few years. The Mahommes, Murrays, Allens etc have job security for a decade+ barring weird injuries. That's worth something.
Definitely agree that you don't want "lower tier" QBs. Mahommes and Murray have job security for years but so do the Staffords and Wilsons of the NFL. I truly believe Stafford will thrive in LA and will give me a solid option for the next 4 or 5 years. The way the draft order is set up, I am almost certain Wilson, Fields, or Lance will fall. At least 2 teams ahead of me are set at QB (and the third is in pretty good shape) and are very needy at other positions. I wouldn't have made the deal if it was completely sacrificing QB.
I think your trades were fair across the board. Just looking at your QB’s Jones could blossom to a top tier QB2 and you have a serviceable backup, at least this year, in Taylor. I don’t see the Watson case clearing up anytime soon. You like DK and was able to pull the trade, good for you. You like Swift more than Akers, which is what most of the “Rankers on DLF” state as well, good for you. Cherry on top you get to select at least one (Fields, Wilson, ETN, Pitts, Chase). You didn’t hit any home runs on these trades. But you got guys you liked and honestly made sound decisions. Also agree with your strategy on WRs being the foundation of your dynasty. Metcalf is def one if not the top WR for that.
12 Team PPR 2 Flex

QB: Hurts | Watson | Cousins
RB: Hall | Achane | Ekeler| Chubb | Kamara
WR: Hill | AJ Brown | Chase | Aiyuk
TE: Njoku | Waller

🏆: 2023

12 Team PPR SuperFlex IDP

QB: Hurts | Fields | Mayfield
RB: Bijan | Saquon | Ford
WR: Chase | Jefferson | AJ Brown | Metcalf | Puka | Collins
TE: Pitts | Freieemuth
DL: T. Watt
LB: White
DB: Adams | Kearse | Stingley

🏆: 2023

SteelersX6
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SteelersX6 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 am

abloom wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am Trade 1 seems fine, but I think you then overpayed for Swift to make up that RB ground on trade 2.

Maybe trade #2 will work out. But I'm pretty sure you lost value there (as in you could have traded for more).
Not that I put all my faith in trade calculators but it did say that I won the deal by a small margin (and it was set for a two QB league). I get why some people are gonna say that trade wasn't great because of the Lawrence hype but I will probably be pretty happy with whatever QB I get at 1.06 (two teams almost certain to pass on QB in the top 5 of the draft and very possibly three). I had the 1.01 pick on the block for a month and did not get any "can't pass" offers. I guess only time will tell if I made a good deal!
AFFA TEAM
12 Team/1 Point PPR

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am

SteelersX6 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 am
abloom wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am Trade 1 seems fine, but I think you then overpayed for Swift to make up that RB ground on trade 2.

Not that I put all my faith in trade calculators but it did say that I won the deal by a small margin (and it was set for a two QB league). I get why some people are gonna say that trade wasn't great because of the Lawrence hype but I will probably be pretty happy with whatever QB I get at 1.06 (two teams almost certain to pass on QB in the top 5 of the draft and very possibly three). I had the 1.01 pick on the block for a month and did not get any "can't pass" offers. I guess only time will tell if I made a good deal!
If two teams ahead of you don’t need a QB, they may trade down though to a team that does need a QB.
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 am

Trade 1 is fair value, although I personally would of held on to Sutton & Akers.

Trade 2 is brutal imo. 1.1 should of fetched Swift + 1.6 alone, you shouldn't of needed to add to that.

I also would like to play devils advocate regarding your views on QB's in SF. Would you not agree that two stud QB's in SF would be a massive advantage over opponents? I drafted Herbert last year towards the end of round 1, and he ended up taking over Stafford's QB2 job on my team in a matter of weeks. I traded Stafford to a dude who has been in the basement for 2 seasons now, you know who his top QB is now? - Stafford. Stafford was effectively my QB3, and I am always making a deep playoff run. QB production has a direct correlation to team success in both my SF leagues. No one has won a championship with middle of the road QB play such as Stafford & Lock...

Just because owners in your league load up on guys like Mahomes and Murray early on, only to wait a long time to get their QB2 doesn't mean that needs to be your philosphy.

If you're not a fan of Trevor that's one thing, but to not get proper value for 1.1 is a whole other animal.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

Trade 1: Great!
Trade 2: Mehh. 1.01 gets you Corvette's this year and instead you traded it in for an Impala.