UPDATE: I went full rebuild - I now have 5 1st's in this Draft (2021) Results

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

UPDATE: I went full rebuild - I now have 5 1st's in this Draft (2021) Results

Postby NFL_Hunt » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Long term lurker, very casual poster...

I am not sure if this belongs in the Dynasty team advice or here, because it seemed more of a discussion on overall strategy vs. should I draft someone here or there.

So after starting out strong and winning year 1 and year 3, I competed a few years after and then began to age. I finally bit the bullet this past season and traded more than I ever had to stock up on future picks. I should have probably started at minimum 3 years sooner, but sometimes we grow to attached to players and don't bite the bullet soon enough in dynasty.

During those years, I focused primarily on shoring up a weak defense that made me "not final material" and I believe I've got a great corp there to perform, so I see most of my picks being O focused. (Is this wrong?)

We are starting year 10 this year of my personal friend group dynasty and my most important league. I now appear to be at a major crossroads that may decide the next decade of success due to the amount of firepower I have in this upcoming draft. I mainly would love to know what would you do here with this set of picks or strategy you would employ with such a large number of them.

My team is updated and in my signature and you can see it is pretty depleted. I had a ton of aging assets that I sold off starting week 3 through trading deadline before playoffs and also nickeled and dimed some JAGS to get deals done. Alot of my deals went to competing teams (that did better than anticipated in playoffs, but still could offer great building blocks)

Is it odd during a rebuild to have such a large amount of 1st round picks? (in what some are considering a weak draft)
Do I need to consider more the possibility of moving picks later/into future picks?
Am I missing something on what would be a good strategy approaching this draft I am not considering?

I do have my own mocks I have done, and I don't want to post who I have in each slot, because I would like some honest feedback and discussion on if my pre-conceived notions are potentially wrong or right :D

----- (Just making everyone aware, I also have the 15th and 16th to consider here, but don't anticipate feedback)

Thanks all who look or throw feedback! I appreciate it and look forward to the discussion!

UPDATE - Drafted 8/16/21

For those who commented on the other post that lead here, the 1.2 trade didn't work out for CMC/1.06 as the owner got cold feet after a few days of discussions.

1.1 - Chase
1.2 - Najee Harris - (Going to try to flip him early)

1.3 - Williams
1.4 ETN
1.5 Pitts (wish i had taken him at 1.2, but alas, my deal fell through for this 1.5 as he "got a offer he couldn't refuse. I don't blame him. Deal was OBJ, 1.9, and 2022 1st. we had agreed on my 1.12 and 1.10)
1.6 Lawrence (This owner wanted pitts so bad, he took lawrence to spite me, he was the CMC trade guy)
1.7 - Michael Carter (WTF)
1.8 - Trey Lance
1.9 - Devonta Smith I thought this was great value since I basically only have Chase now (I traded into this spot - GAVE UP YEAR 1.14; YEAR 2021 DRAFT PICK 2.09; YEAR 2022 ROUND 1 DRAFT PICK)
1.10 - Waddle (See Above)
1.11 - Trey Sermon
1.12 - (Traded this pick for Jerry Jeudy) - Owner selected Justin Fields
1.13 - Zach Wilson
1.14 - Mike Parsons - LB
1.15 (compensatory pick) - Mac Jones
2.1 - Rashod Bateman
2.2 - Elijah Moore
Last edited by NFL_Hunt on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 League Champ 2014 League Champ

14 Team Dynasty, 1QB (4-pt TD pass) (1pt Per 10 Yards Passing), PPR, Big Play IDP, 30-Man Roster- FCFS Waivers, 4 Rd (R) Draft, 4 man Taxi

2024 Picks: 2 3rds
2025 Picks: 3, 4

Start 1 -QB - Mahomes, Minshew
Start 2 - RB - Bijan, Taylor, R. White, Mattison Fournette
Start 3 - WR - Chase, Waddle, D. Smith, Olave, E. Moore, J. Reynolds, Atwell
Start 1 - TE - Andrews, T. Hill

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 2 LB - S. Leonard, T. Edmunds, D. Lloyd, P. Queen, K. White
Start 2 S - B. Baker, V. Bell, K. Hamilton
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: I went full rebuild - I now have 5 1st's in this Draft (2021)

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Wrong forum.

Try Dynasty Team Advice.

That's where people ask questions specifically about their teams. Probably why nobody else responded to your post after 113 views. Best of luck!
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:49 am

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm Wrong forum.

Try Dynasty Team Advice.

That's where people ask questions specifically about their teams. Probably why nobody else responded to your post after 113 views. Best of luck!
#This

NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NFL_Hunt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 am

Thanks! Just noticed it was moved here!

14 Team Dynasty, 1QB (4-pt TD pass) (1pt Per 10 Yards Passing), PPR, Big Play IDP, 30-Man Roster- FCFS Waivers, 4 Rd (R) Draft, 4 man Taxi

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 am

With going full rebuild, I would be going BPA. It's a boring answer, but it maximizes your value both in the draft and on the market if you look to trade. Your team has holes at each position and that makes BPA even safer. My only other philosophy, would be leaning WR if each player available is in the same tier. RBs dont have as long of shelf life, so I would be less concerned about that position until you are closer to competing. Just my way of thinking though. I would also move Barkley for the right price to help more long term. Good luck and enjoy!

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 am

*EDIT* - For point 1 I originally recommended favorite RB, but due to lack of shelf life & the fact this is TE premium which I glazed over previously, this makes Pitts the easy decision at 2 for me.

I've never played IDP so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it looks like QB is somewhat of a need as you only have Baker rostered.

You also don't have a single startable WR rostered.

Based on this, here are my moves if I owned this team:

1. Draft Chase at 1 and Pitts at 2.

2. I think there should be some decent WR prospects available at 1.10,1.12 and 1.14. Go BPA here regardless. Taking a QB with one of these picks would also be a highly recommended decision.

3. I would consider the possibility of moving Barkley over the next 6 months. The reason being I don't think you will be competitive for a few seasons, at which time he will be of little value due to age. I would ideally move him for a young blue chip WR + picks. He should command a haul, but again, I don't play IDP so I'm not sure what his value really is there.
Last edited by Dirty Mike&the Boys on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

BucBuc
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BucBuc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 am

I normally wouldn't but starting off the draft Chase and Pitts sounds like a great idea in a full rebuild TE premium
TEAM 1
12 Team Half PPR Superflex ..1Qb , 2Rb, 3Wr,1 Te, 2Flex 1Superflex 1Def
QBs: Dak,Goff, Burrow
RBS: Bijan,Pacheco,D.Harris,Fournette,GibsonDillon,Penny, Darell Williams,Chestnut,Ty Chandler,M
Ingram, Goodson, K.Ingram
WR:Lamb,Tee,DJM,AJB, Boyd
TE Goedert,
DEF Eagles, Broncos,

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Chase and Pitts for me too

But I'd only look to use one of the later firsts on a Marshall or Bateman type WR or Lawrence before potentially trading out of the pick for a 2022 1st+ or 2023 1st+

It's not popular but it's better for a rebuild to take a shot on a higher pick next year/in 2023 than a 4th tier player this year (unless someone falls)

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm

With so many 2021 picks, another thing to consider is to trade out of certain spots for 2022 1st round picks. Maybe trading some of those picks after 1.10 might end up netting some earlier picks in 2022.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NFL_Hunt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Dirty Mike&the Boys wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 am *EDIT* - For point 1 I originally recommended favorite RB, but due to lack of shelf life & the fact this is TE premium which I glazed over previously, this makes Pitts the easy decision at 2 for me.

I've never played IDP so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it looks like QB is somewhat of a need as you only have Baker rostered.

You also don't have a single startable WR rostered.

Based on this, here are my moves if I owned this team:

1. Draft Chase at 1 and Pitts at 2.

2. I think there should be some decent WR prospects available at 1.10,1.12 and 1.14. Go BPA here regardless. Taking a QB with one of these picks would also be a highly recommended decision.

3. I would consider the possibility of moving Barkley over the next 6 months. The reason being I don't think you will be competitive for a few seasons, at which time he will be of little value due to age. I would ideally move him for a young blue chip WR + picks. He should command a haul, but again, I don't play IDP so I'm not sure what his value really is there.
BucBuc wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 am I normally wouldn't but starting off the draft Chase and Pitts sounds like a great idea in a full rebuild TE premium
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 pm Chase and Pitts for me too

But I'd only look to use one of the later firsts on a Marshall or Bateman type WR or Lawrence before potentially trading out of the pick for a 2022 1st+ or 2023 1st+

It's not popular but it's better for a rebuild to take a shot on a higher pick next year/in 2023 than a 4th tier player this year (unless someone falls)

Sounds like you guys are in the same vein as me. I had chase and pitts as my 1 and 2. Thanks for that feedback!

The other interesting thing is how much should i consider Lawrence at the 1.2? vs. waiting for the 1.10 and hope I get him to fall. I just know there are 1 or 2 other QB needy teams before me that would throw a wrench in it. (How far of a gap is there with Lawrence vs. the field, no pun intended lol) QB scores 6 pts for TD pass and also 1 point per 10 yards pass. So I am not sure how much to take that into account. Is he the cornerstone at the position for me for years to come or does Skill position need to come first and foremost all the time?

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NFL_Hunt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 am With going full rebuild, I would be going BPA. It's a boring answer, but it maximizes your value both in the draft and on the market if you look to trade. Your team has holes at each position and that makes BPA even safer. My only other philosophy, would be leaning WR if each player available is in the same tier. RBs dont have as long of shelf life, so I would be less concerned about that position until you are closer to competing. Just my way of thinking though. I would also move Barkley for the right price to help more long term. Good luck and enjoy!
I definitely have drafted that way over the course of this league, sometimes doing well, but it has also hurt me. I never really had high picks due to competing or making playoffs, so it would always be tier 2-3 guys and a bust or two thrown in there. I guess with the volume, the likelihood to hit is more in my favor.

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NFL_Hunt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 pm

Anteaters wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm With so many 2021 picks, another thing to consider is to trade out of certain spots for 2022 1st round picks. Maybe trading some of those picks after 1.10 might end up netting some earlier picks in 2022.
Great point, do you think I should consider packaging them or with later 2nds and potentially moving up in this draft, say for a Lawrence due to scoring rules I talked about in earlier post? Or do you think the value to accrue larger amounts of picks later outweighs that?

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

NFL_Hunt
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NFL_Hunt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 pm

A lot of owners value RB extremely high in this league, (due to all of them coming from re-draft leagues they played for years in before dynasty, so that old habit hasn't been broken in 10 years!) Barkley would definitely command a premium as others have pointed out.

The IDP scoring was set up so you can win a championship with D. as long as you have a middling/decent offense and it has happened at least 3 times over 10 years. However, it is usually a handful of owners who focus their time with IDP due to some players become "un-acquirable" such as a A. Donald or Watt in his prime. We have had several D players go in the first round (Mostly LB and like 1 DE, a saftey or 2) over the years. RIP to the owner who drafted E.Ansah with the 1.5

Start 1 DT - G. Jarret
Start 1 DE - N. Bosa,
Start 1 CB - N. Hobbs

Taxi -
1. Kincaid
2. J. McGlaughlin
3. D. Sanders
4. S. Brown

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 pm

Congrats on getting some input here. This is a pretty active board!

My league also values RB highly, and you generally need early picks to land a stud. Not saying it's right, but since we're non-PPR and really TD heavy, stud RB's are important. However, players also value QB's as everyone wants a "set-and-forget" option at the position since that asset could work 10-years for your team.

So while a lot of people discuss how QB's go late in Round 1, or start coming off the board early in round 2, the QB deficient teams generally don't hesitate to take the most popular signal callers with their first round picks.

Given that you're riding Baker, I think I'd look to add an upgrade there. I don't hate Mayfield, just don't love him either. Lawrence is considered about as can't-miss as it gets at QB, and while that's no guarantee, I'd feel better about the position if you paired Baker with him moving forward.

If you came out of the draft with Chase/Lawrence at 1.01-1.02 there's really nothing wrong with that haul. I know this runs counter to how many people operate their teams, but I think it could set you up for years of success.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

remy420
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby remy420 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Debated posting last night before bed, but wanted to take the day to think about it.

First off, I too believe you should go Chase/Pitts at 1 and 2. There isn't enough of a step down for me from Lawrence to say Fields or Jones as there is Pitts to everyone. That said, if it were me, I would try packaging 2 of those other picks and try moving up to (ideally) 1.5. At that position you would ensure one of the top 2 backs or Lawrence. I might also try moving ahead with 2 of the other picks if I felt very strongly about Waddle or Smith too. Even then, if you were to miss out on Lawrence and get "stuck" with Harris or ETN and a WR, you'd still have an early 2 to take a QB. I also wouldn't trade Barkley until sometime mid season when you could possibly get a greater haul by someone who may be a borderline playoff team.
MC Dynasty League
The Highlanders
Champions 2006
12 teams, 30-man rosters
1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1 Flex (RB,WR), 1TE, 1K, 1Def, 1DL, 1LB, 1CB, 1S
QB:Newton, Rivers, Tua
RB:Gordon, Lindsey, Hunt, Kerryon, Mattison, Dobbins, Love
WR:A.J. Green, Julio, Diggs, Kupp, Hardman, P. Williams
TE:Hooper, Smith
K:Gould, Gonzalez
Def:Car, Chi
DL:Watt, N Bosa