Is this team now looking like a contender for 2021? And was it worth it?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this team now looking like a contender for 2021? And was it worth it?

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:19 pm

Team 1 in Sig

8 Team 2 QB 0.5 PPR
Start 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 3 FLEX, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K

At the beginning of the offseason when I asked the consensus seemed to be that it was a middle of the pack team (and I agreed):

Since then I made a few moves:

Gave: Daniel Jones+early 3rd
Got: Matthew Stafford (just days before his trade request went public)

Gave: Gabriel Davis+late 3rd+2022 2nd
Got: Julio Jones

Gave: Diontae Johnson+pick 11
Got: Pick 6+2022 3rd*--intended to get the best non Lawrence QB on the board (leaning Wilson right now but not decided)

Gave: Michael Gallup+2022 4th
Got: Melvin Gordon

Gave: Denzel Mims+Michael Pittman Jr
Got: Allen Robinson

Leaving my current team with this (starters in bold):

QB: Stafford, Burrow, Tannehill
RB: JT, Swift, CEH, Dobbins, Damien Harris, Melvin Gordon, Cohen, Pollard
WR: Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, McLaurin, DJ Moore, Julio, Allen Robinson, Sutton, Jeudy, DJ Chark, Bryan Edwards
TE: Kittle, Hockenson, Gesicki, Trautman

Picks
2021: 1.6
2022: 3 1sts, 1 2nd, 4 3rds, 2 4ths
2023: 2 1sts, 3 2nds, 2 3rd, 3 4ths

Currently have like 5 dead roster spots that I'm waiting until after the draft to fill but wondering
a. if I should be buying 2021 picks right now (knowing they will be expensive) rather than just rolling with 1.6 (a QB) or be fine hoarding all my future assets

b. If I should be looking to sell Hockenson to help my team elsewhere for this upcoming season knowing I have Kittle at TE. Been shopping Gesicki and only gotten interest from two owners. Hock would definitely get a lot more.

Thoughts?

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Is this team now looking like a contender for 2021? And was it worth it?

Postby sloth8u » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 pm

It's an 8 team league...every team should look like a contender.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm

Team is looking great now!

qb: stafford, burrow, tannehill

I think QB is deep enough, but could be upgraded. 8 teams, so studs over everyone. I'd be knocking on the Mahomes owner's door. Burrow/Stafford + 1.6 + future 1st (or 2) might get something started??

I also remember taking about Trevor. If he falls, I'd see if you can trade up using 1.06 and/or future draft capital.

4 of the 5 sophomore RB. Love it.

WR: Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, McLaurin, DJ Moore, Julio, Allen Robinson, Sutton, Jeudy, DJ Chark, Bryan Edwards

2 studs, 2 high end WR2, 2 aging alpha WR, and 2 denver bronco WR lol not bad. +Chark

TE1 and a solid backup or 2.

Picks

I'd be staying put pretty much everywhere unless you can get a QB upgrade. If you could jump into the early first with a future pick (or 2) plus AROB and other depth, I'd be all over that.

It's a good enough team though you could just stay out, draft BPA at 1.06 and be a contender for this year and have all those future 1sts appreciatong in value. Great job

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 pm

sloth8u wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 pm It's an 8 team league...every team should look like a contender.
True which is why I emphasize 8 team league. It wasn't supposed to be that way but two owners dropping the day of the startup because "they didn't know enough" and another two being awful owners for 1.5 years and leaving depleted orphans made it even more top heavy (at least for the time being)

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 pm

It may 8 teams, but it's still a top team in that league. You couldnt get all that value in a startup

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm Team is looking great now!

qb: stafford, burrow, tannehill

I think QB is deep enough, but could be upgraded. 8 teams, so studs over everyone. I'd be knocking on the Mahomes owner's door. Burrow/Stafford + 1.6 + future 1st (or 2) might get something started??

I also remember taking about Trevor. If he falls, I'd see if you can trade up using 1.06 and/or future draft capital.

4 of the 5 sophomore RB. Love it.

2 studs, 2 high end WR2, 2 aging alpha WR, and 2 denver bronco WR lol not bad. +Chark

TE1 and a solid backup or 2.

Picks

I'd be staying put pretty much everywhere unless you can get a QB upgrade. If you could jump into the early first with a future pick (or 2) plus AROB and other depth, I'd be all over that.

It's a good enough team though you could just stay out, draft BPA at 1.06 and be a contender for this year and have all those future 1sts appreciatong in value. Great job
The Mahomes owner is also a Chiefs fan and in a redraft owner we played in last year picked him late 1st in 1QB. I am sure there is a price but it's well above the listed value. Something like Burrow and 4 firsts might do it--not much less

Of the stud young QBs Allen is also probably off limits, the team with Lamar and Dak is all in and not selling them. The team with Herbet has no QB2 and is desperate to be adding one not selling.

I guess Watson is available lol. One of Russ or Kyler could be too--haven't explored that opportunity much yet though

I have actually looked at the Lawrence angle since you mentioned it. The guy at 4 is 100% taking him if there and would probably take him at 1 if he had that pick. Already values Lawrence over guys like Dak and Lamar

I think 6+one 2022 1st for pick 3 on the clock would be my best shot but the guy at 3 will only do it if Chase is off the board. And frankly I'm a bit hesitant too--not because I don't like Lawrence but from my trade up last year for JT I know that trade ups are hard to win even when the guy you want is great (the picks I gave up would probably have been used on Dobbins and one of Akers/Jefferson--plus an additional pick this year that'll get a Bateman or Javonte type if I had held them)

But it certainly is interesting mostly because like you said Lawrence is a safe asset and can probably have use as soon as next year

Would you be dangling Hockenson as trade bait fir a title run this year or be fine holding him as a backup? Or be using picks from future years to trade into the 2nd/3rd if say a high end WR falls because of destination?

I think I've bought enough older veterans for the time being

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Solid looking group. An elite QB would go a long way, but hopefully Burrow comes back healthy and puts up big numbers. Your young RB core has big upside and if they make a jump, look out! Great WR core again with lots of upside and move to grow. I would shop Hockenson in case a good deal can be had. Never hurts to shop.

Too bad a couple owners dropped out, but you are working with what it is now and have transformed your build into a contender.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:00 am

Mahomes sounds unreasonable to get. Herbert though is an interesting one. You say he has no QB2, so why not offer him 2 QB (plus 1st possibly) for Herbert?

I'd be looking to jump 1.04 and get Lawrence. It just ends up sounding cheap for Lawrence in 2QB no matter how you slice it

Hock is a fine sell if it helps you elsewhere. I'd also be looking to sell any older guys you done need as much. They will only decline in value

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:14 pm

Don't be sold at qb with 1.06 - Best Player Available is the mantra. I'd rather use that pick, or the player you select, in a package for another stud qb.

Otherwise, looks very solid, and even if you sit pat and take a qb at 1.06, you are a contender.

Good luck!
-oo-
Both teams 16 tm 1/3 ppr idp
QB, RB, 2WR, TE, 2Flex, K, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2 Flex

Phoenix Park Suns
QB - Hurts, Darnold, Minshew, Zappe, O'Connell
RB - Ekeler, Conner, Edwards, Strong, McLaughlin, Brooks, Prince
WR - Adams, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Zay Jones, M. Thomas, Downs
TE - Goedert, Bellinger
PK - Sanders
DL - Garrett, Paye, Madubuike, Judon
LB - Franklin, Mosley, Edmunds, J. Davis, Bernard, Jack, Mapu, Vander Esch