Looking for advice on a complete rebuild

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
kuaggie
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Looking for advice on a complete rebuild

Postby kuaggie » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 am

League is 12 team, .5 ppr, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX (te,wr,rb)/K/D

I have a bottom 3 team (although the league is top-heavy so I could finish anywhere from 5th-12th). I'm trying to rebuild, but I feel stuck: 2 of the 4 owners that look to be real competitors this upcoming season are really difficult trade partners and the other 2 are super strong at WR (so I'm struggling to figure out what to offer).

Which players would you look to trade away? Has anyone had any luck rebuilding via a method other than trading with top contenders? My current thoughts are trying to move mahomes to lock in last place, or trying to move mclaurin (for a haul) & parker (to at least get something back)

Relevant players on my roster (12 team, .5 ppr):

QB: Mahomes, Carr

RB: Gore, Ballage, Michel, James White, Boston Scott

WR: Sutton, McLaurin, Deebo, Devante Parker, Anthony Miller, Shenault Jr., Shepard

TE: OJ Howard, Jarwin

K: Koo

D: pats d, 9ers d

I have 1.03, 2.02, 2.06, 3.02, 3.07 this year

2022 I have all my picks plus what will likely be a late 1st and late 3rd

Thanks so much to anyone willing to offer their thoughts
12 Team - .5 PPR (4 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX(WR/RB/TE), 1DST

Mahomes/Wentz/Mills
Breece Hall/KWIII/D. Foreman/Zamir White/Pacheco/T Davis-Price
Sutton/Pittman/D. Smith/Pickens/Rondale Moore/Doubs/Toney/McKenzie/Shenault
Kmet/J. Woods/B. Jordan
Patriots

2x 2023 1st, 2x2023 2nd, 2x 2024 1st, 2x 2024 2nd

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Looking for advice on a complete rebuild

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am

Welcome to the community first off!

Really tough place to be given your overall build and how difficult it sounds to trade in your league.

I would look to hold Mahomes despite the value he may bring in even in a 1 QB league. This is one position at least you do not have to worry about.

There is not really any value in your RB core, but I would certainly make them all available in case you can even come out with a future pick or two.

I would be looking to hold McLaurin and maybe Shenault, but in a full rebuild I would make all your WR's available as well but only move for the right price. Sutton, McLaurin, Samuel and Shenualt should all bring in a fair amount of interest, but its all about the return.

This looks like a multiple year full rebuild that will take a lot of patience and the right moves. I would not force anything and essentially make everyone available to your league. Your best bet might be trying to land multiple 1st round picks in 2022 as those 1sts will be much cheaper than 2021 picks. Take your time and try to find the best value even if it takes weeks to nail down a deal. There is no hurry with this build and enjoy the ride! Finally, hold all your picks!

pmart33
MVP
MVP

Re: Looking for advice on a complete rebuild

Postby pmart33 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 am

You're in an interesting spot for sure. I think a rebuild is the right call for this team, credit to you for seeing that. Conducting that self evaluation can be hard for some.

QB - I'd be open to moving Mahomes in a 1QB league, but be careful doing so, as selling him off really just creates another void on your roster that you'll have to fill going forward. He is arguably your best asset, so if you're dealing him it needs to be for a big return.

RB - This group is rough. Those guys aren't worth much, so I'd roll into the season with them and hope that Sony or White play well for a stretch so that you can bail on them for some type of return. Other than that I'd see what the Miles Sanders owner is willing to give your for Boston Scott. If you can get a late 2nd or a future 2nd for him I'd probably make that move.

WR - There is some potential here. Of this group Parker is the only one I'd be actively shopping right now. I'd be willing to move him for any 1st this year or next in your situation. Others may disagree with that call, but he's been so inconsistent in his career that I'd be willing to let that be another team's problem if I were in a rebuild. Hold Sutton and Deebo and let their value rebound as they come back from injury then shop them in season to contenders. Shenault and Miller are young players with potential, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to move either of them at their current market values. Shepard is... well Shepard. I'd ship him out for a late 2nd or even an early 3rd if you could.

TE - Another rough group. I can't imagine you can't get much for either player, so probably best to hold and hope that OJ looks serviceable enough this year to land in a better spot in 2022. In your situation this is the position group that I'd prioritize last. It's hard to find a productive TE, and if you're not competitive it isn't worth spending what it'll take to get an established one.

K/Def - These positions are mostly crap shoots, but if you can swap one of the defenses you have for another one (even if they're a bad one right now) and pick up some draft pick value or a young player I'd do it.

Overall just do your best to maximize value in every deal that you make. Everyone is available for the right price! If you're close to making a deal ask the other owner to toss in a future 3rd or a favorable pick swap to sweeten the pot for you a little. I know you said that the top owners in your league are tough to deal with, but I'd imagine that as the season gets going and some other teams start winning games that the trade market will open up some. Sorry for the long winded response, but keep in mind that things change quickly in football, so with some good decisions you could be back in contention in a year or 2. Good Luck!
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE