Drop Watson? (1QB salary/contract league)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Drop Watson? (1QB salary/contract league)

Postby M-Dub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Team 3 in sig. I have Watson on a 1-year/$28 contract. Salary cap is $450. Cap hit for cutting a player is 40% of his salary multiplied by the number of years remaining on his contract, so I could free up $16.80 in cap space (and a roster spot) by dropping him. It’s not a windfall by any stretch, but every dollar helps.

If I hold him through the end of his contract, he becomes an RFA, which means he’ll be placed in the 2022 FA auction to establish his new salary, but I have the right to match the winning bid. If I drop him and he clears waivers, he becomes a $1 salary player for this year and will be a UFA in the 2022 auction (so no matching rights for me or anyone else).

Obviously, I’d try to trade him for anything I could get before I drop him outright, but I don’t see him having much, if any, trade value in this setting. If anything, I’d probably have to give someone the 3.10 or some FAAB just to take his full salary off my hands.

I’m just wondering if the matching rights in 2022 are even worth eating his entire salary this year if he doesn’t play. I’m leaning towards no. I could also hold him for a while and see how things shake out, but opening up that cap space prior to our 2021 FA auction would be preferable.

Currently, my plan is to try to snag at least one, and possibly even two, of the top 5 rookie QBs in our rookie draft. I have picks 2.07, 3.01 and 3.10. There are also a few interesting QBs available in the auction. Stafford and Big Ben are RFAs. UFAs include Fitzmagic, Cousins, Carr and Winston/Hill.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Drop Watson? (1QB salary/contract league)

Postby abloom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Unless you desperately need the cash, he's a hold right now
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:15 pm

I'm starting to wonder if Watson plays at all this season based on the bridge he burned with the only team that appears to want him/that he already plays for and all the legal issues. I'm not versed at all in salary leagues and if you are going to drop him, seems like any return is better than nothing. I would explore every option in the market before dropping him. Seems like in SF, there has to be a deal out there somewhere, but that is a ton of salary to bring in on a risk. Seems like a team fully rebuilding might take him on and resign him next year once this all plays out on the gamble. I do think he is back in the NFL by the kickoff of the 2022 season at the latest.

As is, I would rather hold than drop him outside of the moral issue...

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm

He has to be a hold for me until I know more, especially in a SF
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:43 pm

In a regular dynasty format where you can keep a guy forever, I agree that he’s a hold, even in 1QB. In this league, I’m not sure it’s worth it though. If I drop him, I highly doubt anyone picks him up at his current salary, so I could potentially free up the cap space and still re-sign him next offseason if I’m so inclined. I’m not in a hurry to make a decision on this. I more just wanted to see what you guys thought about the strategy.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

DynastyDynasty
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDynasty » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:50 pm

I like your idea of sending something with him to get some value out of him. Obviously you don't want to overpay just to unload him. But, if the piece added to him to unload him isn't too much in your mind, then you can be completely free of his contract and have the roster spot, and maybe even get a little something something back.
Let's say for example you offer Watson & 3.10 to someone for a late 2nd. If they counter for their 3rd, boom. You move up a little and you unload the contract.
That may not work. But, it would be better than dropping him outright and eating cap. If it came down to dropping him, I'd do that over holding him to be a RFA in 2022. Not worth it to me when I'm pretty sure he's not playing football in 2021.
12 Team, PPR, TE Premium, IDP, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 3Flex, 1DL, 1LB, 1DB, 1Flex
QB-Mahomes,Ryan,Roeth
RB-McCaffrey,Kamara,J.Wilson,Jam.Williams,Hines,S.Perine,Hubbard
WR-Hill,Ridley,Golladay,Thielen,Godwin,Boyd,Hardman,Campbell,Coutee,Patrick
TE-Kittle,Pitts,Dwelley,Butler,Reyes
DL-Hunter,Ogbah,Graham,Q.Williams,Paye
LB-Leonard,Wagner,David,Reddick,Morrow,D.Davis,Thompson,W.Gay,Mosley
DB-Curl,Ryan,Clark,Phillips
2021 Draft-1.03=K. Pitts,2.03=A.Thielen+,2.05=C.Hubbard,3.06=K.Paye,3.07,4.07,&5.03=D. Leonard
Championships-2018 & 2020

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:22 pm

I feel like you have to be able to trade him+ to someone and take on less of a hit then 40%. Matching rights are nice but likely isnt that big of a deal considering you are just matching market value anyways, wouldn’t factor that in much. I’d start by offering him around and see if anyone wants him basically for free.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:33 pm

I think you could get a rebuilder to at least deal you a 3rd and take salary... If not, and you need the money, I could see dropping but would also offer him for free before I drop.

HughHoney
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby HughHoney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:48 am

I’m in a somewhat similar situation. My league is SF with a $400 cap. I have Watson with 1 year left at $26 with a 20% cap hit to drop. Could also RFA next year but won’t because I’ll have better options. For now Watson is a hold until I see how things play out for a while. Will reassess before the UFA auction and decide if I could better use the funds. One key difference is if I drop during the season he goes into the FA pool and can be picked up for a new blind bid. That owner then has the option to assign a contract at the end of the year (i.e. someone could get a cheap long-term deal if things play out right). If I drop before the UFA he’ll just go into that pool to bid on then. I plan to just ride things out until it looks apparent that he’ll miss most or all of this season.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am

In your situation, I would drop him. I agree that he’ll play again, probably by 2022, but think he will probably miss this season. I just wouldn’t want that big cap charge to deal with for someone that has this situation hanging over his head.

greenbird
Starter
Starter

Postby greenbird » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:51 am

Drop him