Rebuild Underway - Advice Needed

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
joekuhns11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Rebuild Underway - Advice Needed

Postby joekuhns11 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:26 am

So I did a complete rebuild midway through 2020 season. It's hard for me to do a complete rebuild because I'm too competitive. So I am trying to do a rebuild while also trying to actually compete.

New Acquisitions: Melvin Gordon, OBJ, Hunter Henry - Traded away two 2nds and a 1st in 2024 for all of these guys. These were my moves to just try to fill a semi contending team.

As you can tell, I'm weak at QB while Watson gets his problem figured out. I'm semi weak everywhere else but I at least have pieces to play with.

Draft Time I have 1.01, 1.03, 1.05 so I'll fill out my team there a bit too as well as the 2.03.

Here is where I need help.
1. Do I trade my 1st next year for Tua and Will Fuller
2. Do I keep my 1st next year and use my 2.03 to draft somebody like Jameis Winston or a rookie this year?
- - I know Jameis isn't a great QB, but he puts up solid fantasy numbers.
Team #1 (Finished 2nd)
QB - Watson
RB - Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Mixon
WR - Tyreek, Chase, Jayden Reed, Godwin, Cooper
TE - Goedert, Kmet
2024 Picks: 1.01, 1.05, 1.07, 1.10

Team #2 (Finished 1st)
QB - Tua, Pickett
RB - Hall, Barkley, K. Walker, James Cook
WR - Chase, D. Smith, D. Adams, Hopkins, Jameson Williams
TE - Laporta
2024 Picks: None

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Rebuild Underway - Advice Needed

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am

First off, I would be looking to hold your 1st next year and find another cheap option at QB if needed. Watson is probably going to miss time, but there is still lots to play out and a long time before you set a starting lineup. I would not force anything in the draft based on this. With Winston being on waivers, I would assume this is a 1 QB league also.

Having three of the top 5 picks is big and should help you to start filling some holes. You are likely a year or two out anyway is why I would hold your 1st next year. If this is a 1 QB league, you will get some really solid prospects to start building around and I would lean two of the top WR's and the best RB remaining if Harris or Etienne are options. If any options come up to add 1st round picks next year, I would be looking to go that route too depending on price.

Good luck and enjoy the retool!

joekuhns11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekuhns11 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 am

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am First off, I would be looking to hold your 1st next year and find another cheap option at QB if needed. Watson is probably going to miss time, but there is still lots to play out and a long time before you set a starting lineup. I would not force anything in the draft based on this. With Winston being on waivers, I would assume this is a 1 QB league also.

Having three of the top 5 picks is big and should help you to start filling some holes. You are likely a year or two out anyway is why I would hold your 1st next year. If this is a 1 QB league, you will get some really solid prospects to start building around and I would lean two of the top WR's and the best RB remaining if Harris or Etienne are options. If any options come up to add 1st round picks next year, I would be looking to go that route too depending on price.

I'm planning on going Chase, Smith @ 1 & 3 and then Harris, Etienne, Williams @ 5 depending on who is there.
Team #1 (Finished 2nd)
QB - Watson
TE - Goedert, Kmet

Team #2 (Finished 1st)
QB - Tua, Pickett
TE - Laporta

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am

joekuhns11 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 am
Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 am First off, I would be looking to hold your 1st next year and find another cheap option at QB if needed. Watson is probably going to miss time, but there is still lots to play out and a long time before you set a starting lineup. I would not force anything in the draft based on this. With Winston being on waivers, I would assume this is a 1 QB league also.

I'm planning on going Chase, Smith @ 1 & 3 and then Harris, Etienne, Williams @ 5 depending on who is there.
This would be my strategy as well as long as Harris or Etienne drop to the 1.05. Chase and Smith are great prospects to build around.

joekuhns11
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekuhns11 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am

This would be my strategy as well as long as Harris or Etienne drop to the 1.05. Chase and Smith are great prospects to build around.
You think I'd be smarter going with Chase, Harris/Etienne @ 3 and the whoever is left @ 5 between Waddle/Smith?
Team #1 (Finished 2nd)
QB - Watson
TE - Goedert, Kmet

Team #2 (Finished 1st)
QB - Tua, Pickett
TE - Laporta

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:09 pm

joekuhns11 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Gator Sens wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am

You think I'd be smarter going with Chase, Harris/Etienne @ 3 and the whoever is left @ 5 between Waddle/Smith?
I prefer Smith and Chase to either RB, but I think you would have a better shot at Smith dropping then the RB's. Chase/RB/Smith in that order is probably the safest bet. This could shuffle a bit post landing spots though in theory.

jwb32
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jwb32 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm

That roster is not competitive. I would draft BPA the entire way and focus on 2022/2023. I would not worry about QB at this point. And I know you just bought them, but I'd look to move OBJ and Melvin Gordon the first change you get.
TEAM 1: 12 team league. 1.0 PPR WR/TE 0.5 PPR RB
Start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 2Flex, 1TE, 1DST
QBs- Lamar, Wentz
RBs- Javonte,Sanders, Michel,Howard,JJackson,JWilson
WRs- DJM,McLaurin,Higgins,DeVonta Smith,Jeudy, OBJ,Bateman,Treadwell,Crowder
TEs- Fant, Muth,Irv Smith

TEAM 2: 12 team league. 0.1 ppc 0.5 ppr. TE 1 ppr
Start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 2Flex, 1TE,
QBs-Watson, Davis, Huntley
RBs- Javonte,Akers, ETN,Gore,Dallas
WRs- McClaurin,DJM,Godwin,Diontae,MarquiseBr, Mooney,Van Jefferson,Collins,Atwell
TEs- Hock, Kmet,Trautman,AlbertO
1.04, 2.04, 4.04

TEAM 3: 12 team league. 0.5 ppr, 0.5/fd
Start 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 2Flex, 1TE,
QBs- Lamar,Stafford
RBs- JT, Fournette, DHarris,Chuba,Collins,Gaskin,DHarris,Penny,Murray, Snell
WRs- Chase, DJM, Allen, Bateman, Julio, ElijahM, Mims, Crowder
TEs- Waller, Morneau,Njoku
2022 1st, 2nd (2), 3rd (2)

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Ugh, why would you trade future picks for guys like Melvin Gordon and OBJ? I love OBJ more than anyone, but those aren’t moves you make when rebuilding. You need to commit. This “wanting to compete” is just going to make your team worse. Embrace the rebuild and lean into it full tilt. You are better off doing that, than trying to compete, finishing in the middle of the pack, and having a worse team moving forward because of it.
1) no don’t do this! Hold your pick, do a true rebuild, and reap the benefit of a top 3 pick next year
2) stop worrying so much about QB in 1QB. By the time you are ready to compete you will know a lot more about the availability/situation of Watson. And Darnold can be a gap filler in the meantime. Worry about replacing Watson down the line, if you actually do have to replace him.