Chubb vs Dobbins

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Chubb vs Dobbins

Postby waynesworld1234 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 am

Offered JK Dobbins for my Nick Chubb straight up in a full PPR league. I'd like to think I'll be contending for the championship this year and prefer to have Chubb on my team who has proven far more than Dobbins imo. I just think I'll be kicking myself this time next year if I decline.

How close do you see their production being this year?

pmart33
MVP
MVP

Re: Chubb vs Dobbins

Postby pmart33 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am

Chubb is a safe mid range RB1. We saw last year that Hunt being in town doesn't take much away from Chubb's weekly upside. Dobbins is more of a high end RB2 for this year in my book. Lamar and Edwards stealing TD will have you pulling your hair out all year.

Deal with next year a year from now and roll with Chubb if you see yourself as a legit contender. When the Browns resign Chubb next offseason his value should remain relatively close to what it is now, despite the fact that he'll be 26 next offseason.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Ekeler Pollard Z. White
WR Lamb Deebo Dionte Puka M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR

QB Fields Watson Purdy Cousins
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren Stevenson Gibson
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 am

pmart33 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am When the Browns resign Chubb next offseason ...
I agree with everything except I think this should be "IF the Browns resign Chubb".

They have some big contracts coming up soon, with Mayfield, some DEF players, and I think a call on ODB, among others. The cap situation is okay for 2021, but next season could get dicey. Especially if Chubb pulls up to the table expecting CMC/Kamara/Zeke money $15M-$16M/yr.

Honestly, I don't think Cleveland will want to go to the $12M/yr territory of RBs like Henry/Cook/AJones. And Chubb isn't likely to accept being paid like Ekeler and Hunt. I'm not sure there's a middle ground both sides will be happy with. When the split hits the fan, I think Cleveland pays Hunt a little more to keep him and lets Chubb get his payday with another team.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am

Chubb is the safer and better option for a contending team. Most expect Dobbins to make a jump this year, but that is not a guarantee. Chubb is a known RB1 on a team that has shown they will give him the touches he needs week to week to continue with that role. Dobbins will certainly lose touches on the ground to Jackson and although I like him and think he makes a jump, Chubb is the safer play.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

pmart33 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am Chubb is a safe mid range RB1. We saw last year that Hunt being in town doesn't take much away from Chubb's weekly upside. Dobbins is more of a high end RB2 for this year in my book. Lamar and Edwards stealing TD will have you pulling your hair out all year.

Deal with next year a year from now and roll with Chubb if you see yourself as a legit contender. When the Browns resign Chubb next offseason his value should remain relatively close to what it is now, despite the fact that he'll be 26 next offseason.
And Hunt won't be stealing work from Chubb? He was an RB1 last year...

I'd have the same concerns for both Chubb and Dobbins losing receptions/TDs to Hunt and rushes/TD to Lamar

And no guarantee on Chubb re-signing (although I'm sure he'd be the RB1 on most teams), plus RB tend to start declining on 2nd contracts...

Dobbins definitely wins on age and I think is a better pass catcher for PPR. All that said, Chubb is the safer option for 21, but I wouldn't right off swapping to Dobbins.

I'm not sure I'd give my JK share for Chubb

pmart33
MVP
MVP

Postby pmart33 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:30 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am
pmart33 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am Chubb is a safe mid range RB1. We saw last year that Hunt being in town doesn't take much away from Chubb's weekly upside. Dobbins is more of a high end RB2 for this year in my book. Lamar and Edwards stealing TD will have you pulling your hair out all year.

I'd have the same concerns for both Chubb and Dobbins losing receptions/TDs to Hunt and rushes/TD to Lamar

And no guarantee on Chubb re-signing (although I'm sure he'd be the RB1 on most teams), plus RB tend to start declining on 2nd contracts...

Dobbins definitely wins on age and I think is a better pass catcher for PPR. All that said, Chubb is the safer option for 21, but I wouldn't right off swapping to Dobbins.

In theory I see what you're saying with Hunt stealing work from Chubb. But in actuality Chubb was also an RB1 last year despite missing 4 games and leaving another one in the first quarter. We saw him finish as an RB1 plenty of times last year with Hunt in the lineup.

I could see a rebuilding or retooling team not wanting to part with JK given the age gap, but for a win now team Chubb helps a win now team more. When I try to win now I really try to go for it.

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR

QB Hurts Love Cousins
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4

TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am

pmart33 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:30 am
Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

In theory I see what you're saying with Hunt stealing work from Chubb. But in actuality Chubb was also an RB1 last year despite missing 4 games and leaving another one in the first quarter. We saw him finish as an RB1 plenty of times last year with Hunt in the lineup.

I could see a rebuilding or retooling team not wanting to part with JK given the age gap, but for a win now team Chubb helps a win now team more. When I try to win now I really try to go for it.
Yeah not saying Chubb cant be an RB1 at all. I think he will be top 12 again. I also agree it probably comes down to competing vs rebuilding. I just would hate to give up the youth and have him leapfrog the older player in a year

pmart33
MVP
MVP

Postby pmart33 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 am
pmart33 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 am When the Browns resign Chubb next offseason ...
I agree with everything except I think this should be "IF the Browns resign Chubb".

They have some big contracts coming up soon, with Mayfield, some DEF players, and I think a call on ODB, among others. The cap situation is okay for 2021, but next season could get dicey. Especially if Chubb pulls up to the table expecting CMC/Kamara/Zeke money $15M-$16M/yr.

Honestly, I don't think Cleveland will want to go to the $12M/yr territory of RBs like Henry/Cook/AJones. And Chubb isn't likely to accept being paid like Ekeler and Hunt. I'm not sure there's a middle ground both sides will be happy with. When the split hits the fan, I think Cleveland pays Hunt a little more to keep him and lets Chubb get his payday with another team.
You are correct in that Cleveland does have some decisions to make regarding their roster after this season. We've seen other teams be in similar situations in the past, and they usually find ways to keep high profile RBs around, despite the narrative that paying a RB is bad business for an NFL team. In actuality highly productive backs get 2nd contracts from their current teams more often then they sign elsewhere.

If you look at how Hunt's deal is structured, they can move on from him for nothing after 2021, so they could use that money to keep Chubb, who is the focal point of their offense, and fill Hunt's slot in the draft either this year or next. Ultimately we're just speculating on what the future will hold, but barring a nasty injury, Chubb should maintain most of his current value beyond 2021.

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR

QB Hurts Love Cousins
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
TE Njoku Fant Hill

Team 4

TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

waynesworld1234
Starter
Starter

Postby waynesworld1234 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 am

Jigga94 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am Dobbins definitely wins on age and I think is a better pass catcher for PPR. All that said, Chubb is the safer option for 21, but I wouldn't right off swapping to Dobbins.
Pretty much my exact thinking as I am having trouble writing off Dobbins. Every dynasty ranking I can find has them within a couple spots of each other, so I think I'll just roll with Chubb. I'd rather lose not making the trade, than lose because I made the trade.

I traded Alvin Kamara last year and could have used his 17 TD's in the championship game :wall:

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:11 am

I agree with holding Chubb in order to make a hard push for 2021. Most dynasty rankings will have them close because of the age gap, but Chubb is the more proven and safer asset in the short term.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch