Should I give up DK for a QB?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Should I give up DK for a QB?

Postby burntfire » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm

My QB situation is not great and my team is built well enough to win and knock me out of QB contention in the draft each year.

What would DK net me for a QB? Or should I just keep trying to hit on an unproven/veteran QB?
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Should I give up DK for a QB?

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:54 pm

I would hold Metcalf outside of an elite young QB option.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:07 pm

I think you need to take a step back and look at your team.

14 Team, 2 QB Dynasty League, 1 Point PPR
2QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 3 IR

Well looking at your league setups QBs are going to be at a premium. Like incredibly hard to get without giving up another qb. I mean it's not even a SF, it's a full blown 2qb. There will be weeks where teams will get a zero at this position just because they have 2 QBs rostered and one is on bye.

QB: Matt Ryan, Sam Darnold, Mitchell Trubisky, Jake Luton

Probably a below average group. Best case scenario I think you hope you have 3 starters but it could easily be 1 next year and fewer after that. You need to get some rookie QBs in this draft.

WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Will Fuller, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, Travis Fulgham
This is an impressive group in a 14 teamer. With your top 4 here you should be set for years to come whether you are rebuilding or completing. Wish you had sold fuller and Fulgham this season. Fuller may bounce back, indoubt Fulgham will. You definitely have the ability to move a player or two from this group if you want.

RB: Kareem Hunt, Josh Jacobs, Ronald Jones, Marlon Mack, Joshua Kelley, Boston Scott, Deejay Dallas

Not a bad group. Your top 3 I feel good about moving forward, the rest aren't worth much imo. I wouldn't mind investing in some backups here. Doubt you could get Chubb, but getting whatever backup is in Vegas next year and getting Vaughn should be worth it just to lock up production from those backfields at minimal cost.

TE: Robert Tonyan Dissley, David Njoku, Jace Sternberger, Drew Sample, Gerald Everett
Well you don't have one of the top 3 but having GB TEs, everett, and njoku seems like a good group. I'd love to have a kelce, waller, kittle here, but only 3 teams can.

2021 picks?
Honestly a lot of advice will depend on your picks that you have.

Overall: here is the thing, I like your team basically everywhere except for QB. And in your league this is the hardest position to fix. If I'm moving a metcalf I'm going to need a young stud QB in return, and I doubt you could get that. I think maybe you are looking at a Tua. Who I think is somewhere around qb 13-15 probably off the top of my head. I don't think you can get herbert or burrow. I don't think you could even get hurts right now.

If you were to move metcalf for a qb I wouldn't like your team as much and there is no guarantee that it would even be competitive.

Really with your team I want to sell your qbs and rbs and get significant draft capital for 2021 and 2022. If you already have 2021 capital I like your options more, if you don't I'm more inclined to blow up more stuff.

First thing I would consider: trade hunt and Ryan for a young qb and 2021 pick.

Edit: after stripes post below just wanted to add. You don't have to make the blowup decision now. It can wait and see what happens draft wise. I usually take a bit of time to just unwind from the season before attacking trades in the off season. This is especially true if trubisky can lead the bears to the playoff. If he does that I think it becomes harder to keep him from being a starter next year. Darnold also has a situation where the jets may not draft a new qb in the draft but instead build up the teams other positions or even if they do draft a QB that qb sits atleast in the beginning.
Last edited by abloom on Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Abloom did a good breakdown but I disagree with the blow up recommendation

I think people overestimate how good a team has to be to win it all--especially in leagues that large

I would try to make a push and move DK for a QB

That said: if the above comment is right and you can't get better than Tua then I pass and use 2021 picks to address the situation. If there is a dearth of that then maybe blow it up is the way

But not unless all those things check out

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Wow thank you everyone for the feedback. I must admit I haven't looked at the setup in my signature since I originally did it and it's mislabeled.

While it is a super flex it's not a 2 QB so technically only 1 QB requirement which is what I've done for most of the season since I recently acquired Trubisky and Darnold was hurt all season.

Also, unfortunately I sold my pick for Hunt and Landry this season which thankfully turned into Landry for Trubisky as he's starting to heat up. I'm banking on both of them taking a step next year.

I took over this team last year and only had Ryan to start with and have scratched and clawed to get it where it is. I was in full tank mode this season but my bench players kept winning so I was forced to compete.

I will see what the off season brings and if players move. I'm not quite ready to blow it up.

WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm

I’d put him on the block saying you’d want a young qb in the return package and see what happens. I’d be open to it if the offer is right but no need to force it.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:50 am

burntfire wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm Wow thank you everyone for the feedback. I must admit I haven't looked at the setup in my signature since I originally did it and it's mislabeled.

While it is a super flex it's not a 2 QB so technically only 1 QB requirement which is what I've done for most of the season since I recently acquired Trubisky and Darnold was hurt all season.

Also, unfortunately I sold my pick for Hunt and Landry this season which thankfully turned into Landry for Trubisky as he's starting to heat up. I'm banking on both of them taking a step next year.

I took over this team last year and only had Ryan to start with and have scratched and clawed to get it where it is. I was in full tank mode this season but my bench players kept winning so I was forced to compete.

I will see what the off season brings and if players move. I'm not quite ready to blow it up.
If that's the case with QBs and your picks im more inclined to attempt to compete in 2021 but hold your 2022 draft capital for now and be ready to blow it up if you stumbe out of the blocks.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:39 am

I would be willing to sell DK for a QB if I could land a top 10 QB with long term viability... Allen, murray, herbert, (lawrence). Doubt it happens.

You can compete with your roster in a 14 teamer, but someone is going to have 2 solid QBs which means you have to have positional advantage elsewhere.

Who has the 1.01? Is it someone with established QBs?

Are there any teams with 3+ starters?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 am

Even in a superflex, I think selling DK out of need is a mistake. Find the a team stuck in the middle with a boring veteran QB on his bench and go after him much cheaper.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:13 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:39 am I would be willing to sell DK for a QB if I could land a top 10 QB with long term viability... Allen, murray, herbert, (lawrence). Doubt it happens.

You can compete with your roster in a 14 teamer, but someone is going to have 2 solid QBs which means you have to have positional advantage elsewhere.

Who has the 1.01? Is it someone with established QBs?

Are there any teams with 3+ starters?
The guy with the 1.01 was who I was plan on targeting as he has Murray and Tua but he just sent Tua off for Barkley so Lawrence is an absolute lock.

Guy with the 1.02 has Watson but he also has the 1.03, 1.04, and 1.06. My thinking was to go after the 1.03 and get either Fields or Wilson. It would cost me Jacobs but I think I could survive.
murphysxm wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 am Even in a superflex, I think selling DK out of need is a mistake. Find the a team stuck in the middle with a boring veteran QB on his bench and go after him much cheaper.
That's been the plan a bit but people are expecting me to overpay. Had 1 guy ask for AJB for Brady... I laughed.