Too stay or not too stay?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Too stay or not too stay?

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:14 pm

So this is the first time I've ever noticed this cause it's the first time it has directly effected me. I like my team, I like the other owners, I like the commish and think they do a great job. However the playoff seeding has left a sour taste in my mouth. It almost makes me want to move on cause I think the determination for seeding is F'd up. I get my team had the lower score than Team Four in my division, however it also had a better record than 4 other teams that made the playoffs. I'm just curios what others think, am I way off base?

The team with the best record out of the two division will have the #1 seed and have a bye week. ( If there is a tie for best record between the two divisions the team with the most points in the season will receive the #1 seed). After the #1 seed is decided the top two teams in each division with the best record will be seeded 2-5 with divisional record as tie breaker. Seed 6 and 7 will be one team from each division that scored the most points overall and is not a team already seeded in the playoffs.

14 Team League ----- Every team listed made the playoffs but my team.

Division 1
Team One 10-3
Team Two 9-4
Team Three 9-4 (My team)
Team Four 7-6 (highest score not already in playoffs)

Division 2
Team One 10-3 (#1 team, highest score tie breaker for 1st)
Team Two 8-5
Team Three 8-5
Team Four 8-5 (highest score not already in playoffs)
Last edited by Never Veto1 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Too stay or not too stay?

Postby burntfire » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Am I missing something? Is there more than 2 divisions? I would think a 9-4 record would never miss the playoffs.

I kinda get it though.. I believe the intent is to prevent tanking?
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:33 pm

It does not make sense to me how you don't make the playoffs with the second best overall record (tied for). If you think this takes away from your overall enjoyment of the league, I could see stepping out. Dynasty is supposed to be fun and if something is too tough to get past and takes away your enjoyment, you will likely become less and less active in the league which hurts the league overall. As a commissioner, I would rather an owner tell me the issues and let me know he or she is thinking about moving on vs just not being active. There is such a negative perception of moving on from leagues in dynasty, but there are lots of people to replace you and take on an orphan. if you will not have fun anymore, move on or just live with the weird playoff settings.

tsarpepe
MVP
MVP

Postby tsarpepe » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:33 pm As a commissioner, I would rather an owner tell me the issues and let me know he or she is thinking about moving on vs just not being active.
This.

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:22 pm

More evidence for divisions being a bad idea.

I think there are two inconsistencies that bother me:

1) the tiebreaker for top two teams in each division being divisional record when the tiebreaker for the top seed and the bottom two seeds is total points.
2) The final two spots being one from each division instead of just the top two in points regardless of division

The more I think about it the second one just seems wrong. Total points has nothing to do with divisions or opponents. Presumably the intent of it is to get the best teams in the playoffs. If you scored more points than the 8-5 team from the other division that got in then I think you have a right to be pretty annoyed.

That said, you must have had some good fortune with your record considering you went 9-4 but lost out on points to a 7-6 team in your division.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:46 pm

timeEd32 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:22 pm That said, you must have had some good fortune with your record considering you went 9-4 but lost out on points to a 7-6 team in your division.
Yeah I had 2 really bad weeks in the middle of the year where my team only hit 70-75 pts. Through the other 11 weeks I averaged 125pts. So there's where 2 off my loses came and really skewed my point totals.

I do agree though, there were some times where I squeaked one by.
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

tom14cat14
Captain
Captain

Postby tom14cat14 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 pm

I bet I know commish because my 14 teamer is exact same playoffs. Last year I was the one that got screwed. I was 9-4 along with most of my division. The other division had 2 sub 500 records get in and I missed because of it.

Try to push for VP

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:08 am

Basically the division with best individual record in it gets more teams which makes no sense to me. (Theoretically could be backwards thinking if that team rolled to an easy top record because the division stinks!)

If the league is good and active I wouldn’t leave over this since it’s likely rare to get screwed doing it this way, but it’s a pretty dumb way of doing things.