Need honest feedback on my 2-7 team

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Crouchy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Need honest feedback on my 2-7 team

Postby Crouchy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:55 am

Took over a team to play my first ever dynasty season so I am learning as I go - Am I deluded in thinking this team could contend next year or is this a multi year rebuild? My team has underperformed this year and I have had some injuries as has everyone of course. I am 5th place in points with the most points against with a 2-7 record.

10 team 0.5ppr. 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE
Note - in my league the top 6 make the playoffs and the bottom 4 play off for the first pick, so I can't totally tank.

QB - Newton, Goff, Stafford
RB - Henry, Ekeler, Montgomery, Akers, Duke Johnson, Ingram, Hasty, D.Evans, McNichols, B.Love,
WR - Beckham, Chark, Parker, Reagor, Aiyuk, Mooney, Slayton, Cephus, Peoples Jones, Marcus Johnson, P.Campbell, Guyton, M.Callaway, Boykin
TE - Kittle, Engram, Harrison Bryant, Njoku, Sample,
Picks - Two 1st Rounders, two 2nd rounders

Trades so far - Fournette for Ingram and a second (before season)
-Sent JuJu and a third for Slayton, Melvin Gordon and an early/mid first. Then flipped Gordon for Akers.
- Waller and Keelan Cole for Kittle (after the injury)

Thoughts - QB - Quite weak. The Dak owner is interested in trading him but he doesn't want a QB back. He has interest in Akers and Chark (but I think I need to keep him). Is Akers for Dak a good trade for me if I can get it done? I will be left with 4 QBs then. Alternative would be to try and get one of the top QBs in the draft. Maybe Fields with a second round pick?

At RB - The big issue is whether to keep Henry. If I am really looking towards 2022 then he doesn't fit. I've put him out there but only received underwhelming offers so far so maybe am stuck with him. I like Montgomery for his consistency, but perhaps his upside isn't good enough in a 10 team league. Akers I am really on the fence whether to go forward with him. I would hope to get Etienne or Harris.

WR - A good young group but no studs. OBJ was injured at around the time I planned to try and trade him. I expect I can get at least one or two WRs in the draft from the deep class. I've put Parker on the tradeblock.

TE - set for next season. Will drop one or two of these at some point. Hoping still for the Njoku trade. I may try to get one or the top TEs in the draft to set up to move on from Kittle in the future.

Potential trades. Barkley is a nogo. Tried hard to get Sutton but I couldn't make it happen. I am trying to snag Penny from Seattle. Any other players I should try and look at that might fit with my team? Do I need to trade Henry at all costs. Is Montgomery worth holding?

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Need honest feedback on my 2-7 team

Postby Gator Sens » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:11 am

I would hold Aiyuk, Reagor and Kittle but making everyone else available for the right price. Your team is not bad necessarily, but I think it's a bit rough long term. Henry has a handful of elite years left, but his value will start to drop due to RB age and miles. I would look to sell him at his peak and move Ekeler after a good healthy week. Wait for the right deals and dont rush anything or give players away. Worse comes to worse, you can move players early next year.

jomaed
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jomaed » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:56 am

2022 is the year Id be eying. Try selling anyone that wont help you then. Load you on your WRs and picks.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:08 am

10 team 0.5ppr. 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE
Note - in my league the top 6 make the playoffs and the bottom 4 play off for the first pick, so I can't totally tank.
>well on the plus side you still would get a top 4 pick. but yeah I hear ya.

QB - Newton, Goff, Stafford
I guess you can keep 3, I have a hard time starting Newton. Goff and stafford would start based on matchup. Overall perfectly fine group to have in 10 team.

RB - Henry, Ekeler, Montgomery, Akers, Duke Johnson, Ingram, Hasty, D.Evans, McNichols, B.Love,
Again anohter perfectly fine group. Henry's value in a 0.5 ppr is certainly higher than 1ppr. And you will at some point get Ekler back. Monty, while underwhelming, does seem to put up a decent floor, and Akers i think will be fine next year. Duke should get a little more work next week (I think) assuming DJ is out. I wouldn't mind getting some more talent here, but its again a perfectly fine group.

WR - Beckham, Chark, Parker, Reagor, Aiyuk, Mooney, Slayton, Cephus, Peoples Jones, Marcus Johnson, P.Campbell, Guyton, M.Callaway, Boykin
ah I think i see the problem. Yup definitely need some WR investment. I think Chark will be fine, especially if Jax brings in a new QB next year. Reagor and Aiyuk will probably be fine too. Mooney and Slayton are nice bench options to have. I think I'd look to sell Parker now, especially with the preston williams injury. I dont think he helps your team much.

TE - Kittle, Engram, Harrison Bryant, Njoku, Sample,
You have kittle you're set. Engram has been coming on strong. Good group.

Picks - Two 1st Rounders, two 2nd rounders
Great pieces

Overall:
You know, I think you've been a little unlucky this year. I don't think you necessarily would have won everything if kittle, OBJ and Ekeler remained healthy, but I don't think you'd be sitting at 2-7 either. And you have some nice promising players in Akers, Aiyuk, and Reagor. I think certainly being 10th in record and 5th in poitns scored, really shows you that you have a fringe playoff team that is underperforming, and given the league setup that actually isn't so bad and infact benefits you. I'm guessing that the top 4 teams for scoring are all playoff teams right now? That means that come toilet bowl time, you may have the team with the most points scored.

Like i said above, i think the only move i look to make is moving Parker to a competing team for their (late) first, or package him with one of your seconds (preferably the later one) to a fringe playoff team for their 1st (mid-late). Otherwise I think i'm fine keeping him to help win the toilet bowl.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, Fields, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens, wilson
T: Kelce, Goedert, Thomas, woods
D: cle, nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson, Browning, Rudolph, Zappe
R: Swift, Walker, Dobbins, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen, Nuk, Tre tucker, C Samuel,
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2023/ ... =0009&O=01

Crouchy
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Crouchy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks for the responses. Especially abloom. I will bear those in mind and be open to trades but not push it and undervalue my players. I am still sad I didn't get to trade OBJ before he got hurt. I guess I was a bit unlucky, but also probably not quite good enough. The Toilet Bowl and probably picking Etienne will be a decent consolation if I can manage it!