Massive Overhaul for 2021

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Which version of my team would you prefer moving forward?

Originally Drafted Team (Strongly)
85%
Originally Drafted Team (Slightly)
12%
Current Overhauled team (Slightly)
3%
Current Overhauled team (Strongly)
No votes

Total votes: 34

CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Massive Overhaul for 2021

Postby CGW » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:52 am

I wouldn't wait to see if you are in the hunt to start making moves. Id start now knowing you aren't. By waiting, others will have likely beat you to the best deals early in the season.

Start shopping now, and be real about your roster. Those QBs won't win a SF league even if Mac Jones eventually turns into the next Tom Brady. Building depth is great, but keep trying to flip the value.

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:15 am

I don't understand how you traded Kyler and Cook and aren't swimming in 1st and 2nd round picks for 2021-2023. Or why you seem to be making moves to compete by building out mediocre depth.

This is a complete teardown of a roster, except you have less assets than you used to and little reason to tank without your picks.

It's hard to project drafts, but all signs point to 2023 being excellent. If I were you I would put Plan 2023 in motion immediately. First see if you can get your 2022 1st back because your goal should be to have the worst roster in the league by October. Then look to move just about anyone on your team for 2023 1sts/2nds. Trade 2022 picks that belong to others for more in 2023. Do not even think about trading your 2023 picks.

The arrow is pointing up for Mac. He's literally the only person on your roster I'd be looking to keep (barring a huge offer).

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:54 pm

Im enjoying the dialogue and feedback yall. I still think that there are many assumptions that I am sorting through to take away anything substantive and constructive. A huge one Im seeing across the board is that you cant win without a known stud QB in SF, no matter the format. However, last year (our inaugural season) our champion actually won with Kirk Cousins (11th) and Phillip Rivers (17th) as their ONLY QBs (which is why he traded me Cooper for Big Ben). So while having a sure fire stud is ideal, I think finding young, solid QBs for cheap is the way to go. I truly believe Darnold will surprise a bunch of ya'll and be better than many of you think. I see a top 10 season from him personally. And like I stated earlier, Tyrod is just a holdover until Mac takes the reigns. Who knows what that could bring. But for dang sure, he has built more hype than Herbert did this time last year. We dont know what the future will bring, but for Mac it has been looking really good.

Next thing - QBs in this league consist of only 2 of 12 total starters, 2 of which are TE's that get 1.5 PPR. Its more critical to have solid TEs and depth than it is QB's. This is why despite having Kyler and Rodgers, losing Jarwin and having Gronk starting off slow were what really killed me, along with injuries to my top 3 WRs last year. I cant stress enough how important it was for my roster to become deeper than top heavy. In a league where you start 12 players every week (144 league wide) with bye weeks and injuries over the course of the season, having an edge at the depth positions was where many OK teams really made their bread and butter. Great example: The 3rd highest scoring team last year made it to the playoffs with only Josh Allen and Bridgewater at QB mostly due to the fact that despite having McCaffrey and Carson injuries last year he also had Mike Davis and Gaskin filling in. The value of this boon has extended into this year, obviously, however, its likely that nobody expected him to do well looking at his roster this time last year with Josh Allen not having blossomed yet and Bridgewater, especially if you were to have foreseen injury to his best player - McCaffrey.

Overall Im enjoying this continued conversation because its clear that peoples ideas of how and when to rebuild are really different. The average age of my starting lineup with Tyrod Taylor is 25, and with Mac Jones its 24. Last year the average age of my starting lineup was 26. Its clear that I have ALREADY rebuilt. The question becomes do any of my newer, younger pieces increase in value moving forward? Im interested in hearing many of your opinions because I think individually a lot of people would say that they like my WRs, especially considering I have Chark, Juju and Landry as WRs 3, 4 and 5 with Boyd as a 6th :wtf: . But for some reason collectively that doesnt stand out to anyone and that is fascinating to me :think: . For me this solicitation of feedback is as much a challenging of norms, as it is a measure of peoples ability to provide insightful feedback. So far I have received a lot of insightful feedback, but I think much of it is rooted in assumptions that you can only win with bonafide studs and I disagree with that sentiment. In fact, I think it is impractical. I am really looking forward to seeing how going against the grain turns out and will keep yall updated on this experiment for sure. :thumbup: Appreciate yall! Im pumped for this season!!!
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

timeEd32
Role Player
Role Player

Postby timeEd32 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:22 am

having an edge at the depth positions was where many OK teams really made their bread and butter.
Based on this comment we may just have fundamentally different ideas about how to build a dynasty team. IMO there is no point in being an “OK team.”

If your team is OK with a lot of promising young players, a good amount of picks, etc then that’s one thing. But I see this team’s ceiling as currently built as just OK and it’s a long road to something competitive. That’s not a great place to be.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:24 am

Cam Newton released :thumbup: Mac Jones!!

Sony Michel traded :thumbup: Damien Harris!!

things just keep getting better.

Anyone that looks at this trio of RBs and says that they would rather have the Cook side is crazy. :eh:
Cook (26 yrs old) —-> Jacobs (23 yrs old)
Lamar Miller—-> D. Harris (NE)
Tevin Coleman —-> Fournette
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:29 am

The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:24 am Cam Newton released :thumbup: Mac Jones!!

Anyone that looks at this trio of RBs and says that they would rather have the Cook side is crazy. :eh:
The mac news is great for you, but that part was never an issue.

Not sure why you compare the 3 RBs vs the other 3 RBs. You are getting poor feedback because you sold several studs at major discounts.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am

I think what most of us keep saying here is you overpaid and most of us feel we could have gotten comparable depth for far less than you and kept some studs on the roster at the same time. We don't play your league and only have the obvious tools and info on the net available to us but its all we ever have. Good luck and I will still take you up on that Best ball weekly for your before and after rosters.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:40 am

CGW wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:29 am
The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:24 am Cam Newton released :thumbup: Mac Jones!!

The mac news is great for you, but that part was never an issue.

Not sure why you compare the 3 RBs vs the other 3 RBs. You are getting poor feedback because you sold several studs at major discounts.
This. We aren't saying that rebuilding is a bad idea. We are saying that when you move studs and you don't want to post the trades because you know you sold short, that's not effective rebuilding. You moved Kyler, Cook and Rodgers and ended up not having a single guy in the top 4 rounds of ADP to show for it. I personally love building around depth but that's just bad trading. The Newton and Michel news really saved your team so you can at least field a competitive starting lineup.
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 am

I love how you keep bringing up your own thread to try and show us you didn't make a mistake. Most of your trades were awful then and are still awful now. Sorry not sorry!
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:53 am

McCafsteez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 am I love how you keep bringing up your own thread to try and show us you didn't make a mistake. Most of your trades were awful then and are still awful now. Sorry not sorry!
:shock: :shock:
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:19 pm

McCafsteez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:49 am I love how you keep bringing up your own thread to try and show us you didn't make a mistake. Most of your trades were awful then and are still awful now. Sorry not sorry!
:lol:
Its always interesting when strangers feel like they possess the ability to explain, with confidence, how someone else thinks. I think if we all stuck to speaking for ourselves the world would be a better place. :D

Anyhow, to my intentions, since you asked. My goal is to actually instigate dialogue and discourse around my teams journey to rebuilding. The reason being is that I think its interesting to hear peoples perspectives on rebuilding and how they approach it. I was willing to use my journey as a real life example to get this feedback, whereas if I had just asked without any context it could become very general and not as helpful, or entertaining for me. While I understand that some trades may not have been ideal in a given moment, that was not the question. The question was, has the team improved? Or, even more specifically, in what ways has it improved, or not?

Like I have stated before, its pretty obvious to point out what got "worse". But what is most interesting is how nobody thinks the team got better in anyway. I think thats where the discourse for me comes in. Its not about mistakes or not, ego or not. Its simply about observing and discussing the journey.... I think people are getting so wrapped up in the fact that my team is not a clear powerhouse, but not realizing that this is year 2 of a dynasty league with very deep rosters (40 players).....no team is a powerhouse right now and depth is super important. I think its kind of cool to document the journey, have people weigh in their opinions, and then see where the chips fall so we can discuss where each of us may have gone wrong, including myself.

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:19 pm
Its always interesting when strangers feel like they possess the ability to explain, with confidence, how someone else thinks. I think if we all stuck to speaking for ourselves the world would be a better place. :D

Anyhow, to my intentions, since you asked. My goal is to actually instigate dialogue and discourse around my teams journey to rebuilding. The reason being is that I think its interesting to hear peoples perspectives on rebuilding and how they approach it. I was willing to use my journey as a real life example to get this feedback, whereas if I had just asked without any context it could become very general and not as helpful, or entertaining for me. While I understand that some trades may not have been ideal in a given moment, that was not the question. The question was, has the team improved? Or, even more specifically, in what ways has it improved, or not?

Like I have stated before, its pretty obvious to point out what got "worse". But what is most interesting is how nobody thinks the team got better in anyway. I think thats where the discourse for me comes in. Its not about mistakes or not, ego or not. Its simply about observing and discussing the journey.... I think people are getting so wrapped up in the fact that my team is not a clear powerhouse, but not realizing that this is year 2 of a dynasty league with very deep rosters (40 players).....no team is a powerhouse right now and depth is super important. I think its kind of cool to document the journey, have people weigh in their opinions, and then see where the chips fall so we can discuss where each of us may have gone wrong, including myself.
I’m just being an bleep because I see this thread pop up every so often with “updates”. A 40 man roster league is incredibly deep. May I ask what some of the best waiver pick ups have been so far throughout the leagues existence? I feel like even most 3rd string RBs are rostered.

To get back to the topic. This is your roster. You make the moves you feel are best. That’s the beauty of FF is that the moves are yours to make.
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

stpilots98
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stpilots98 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:55 pm

This team is far from being competitive with you lacking any top end players. I don't see any position where you have an advantage over any random team. You have some depth, which is nice, but not going to help you be a championship team. I definitely agree with the consensus here and I would start retooling with picks in '23. Take the long term approach and start building a powerhouse. Jacobs and Cooper should be put on the block immediately. Having a top pick this coming draft (Which should be a decent QB one) in a two QB league is priority!
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

QB - Fields, Howell, Levis, Rodgers
RB - Montgomery, Dillon, Achane, Ford, Foreman Spears, De. Johnson, Ch. Brown
WR - Di Johnson, Olave, DJM, JSN, Addison, Dell, E. Moore, R. Moore, Pierce, Osborne, Atwell, Reynolds
TE - Kincaid, Hudson

1.01, 1.09, 1.10

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex, SF

QB - Hurts, Fields, Howell, Bridgewater, Wentz, Hoyer
RB - Barkley, Mixon, Dillon, Spears, Foreman, CEH, Murray, Strong
WR - Jefferson, Higgins, Allen, R. Moore, Palmer, MVS, Patrick, Reynolds, Woods, Osborne, Campbell, Raymond
TE - Musgrave, I. Smith, Henry, Washington

2nd

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex, SF

QB - Carr, Garoppolo, Levis, Trubisky, Darnold, Trask, Wentz, Walker
RB - Robinson, Achane, R. Jones, CEH, Kelley, Mitchell, Mason
WR - Adams, Higgins, Wilson, DJM, Brown, Cooks, Boyd, MVS, R. Moore, Boutte
TE - Kinkaid, Knox, Conklin

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm

McCafsteez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 pm

I’m just being an bleep because I see this thread pop up every so often with “updates”. A 40 man roster league is incredibly deep. May I ask what some of the best waiver pick ups have been so far throughout the leagues existence? I feel like even most 3rd string RBs are rostered.

To get back to the topic. This is your roster. You make the moves you feel are best. That’s the beauty of FF is that the moves are yours to make.
2020 Waivers of note
Mason Rudolph, JRob, Tony Jones Jr, Deonte Harris, Mo Alie Cox, Keelan Cole, Salvon Ahmed, McKissic, Rashard Higgins, Richard Rodgers, Fulgham, Zaccheus, Alex Collins,

2021 Waivers to date
Book, Heinecke, Tony Jones again, Noah Gray, Tommy Tremble, Stracham, Mekhi Sargent

Yea, its tough because most players that are "deep sleepers" on this forum are already rostered in this league. So unless you are light years ahead of the curve it gets really tough.

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm
McCafsteez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 pm

2020 Waivers of note
Mason Rudolph, JRob, Tony Jones Jr, Deonte Harris, Mo Alie Cox, Keelan Cole, Salvon Ahmed, McKissic, Rashard Higgins, Richard Rodgers, Fulgham, Zaccheus, Alex Collins,

2021 Waivers to date
Book, Heinecke, Tony Jones again, Noah Gray, Tommy Tremble, Stracham, Mekhi Sargent

Yea, its tough because most players that are "deep sleepers" on this forum are already rostered in this league. So unless you are light years ahead of the curve it gets really tough.
To be fair, until you raise your hand and admit mistakes with past transactions, you are not gong to get a lot of support here. If you ask for advice you have to hear it