Baldwin, Benn or D. Thomas?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Need a #5 WR with some upside. Would you take...

Jonathan Baldwin
17%
Arrelious Benn
58%
Demaryius Thomas
25%

Total votes: 24

fanclubber
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Baldwin, Benn or D. Thomas?

Postby fanclubber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 am

Help me decide which to grab as my #5 WR in a startup dynasty league.

This is NOT for the team in my signature, lol...
12 Team non-PPR, QB 6points Pass TD, Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Mallett
RB: Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Beanie Wells, Lamar Miller
WR: Calvin Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, A.J. Green, Mike Wallace, Dez Bryant, Mike Williams (TB), Stephen Hill,. Randy Moss, Andre Roberts
TE: Vernon Davis, Jermichael Finley, Jermaine Gresham, Jared Cook
K: Dan Bailey, Garrett Hartley, Lawrence Tynes
DEF: Packers, Bears, Giants

mxms344
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Baldwin, Benn or D. Thomas?

Postby mxms344 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 am

It depends on how much risk you can afford to take/want to take. I think Baldwin has the most talent/potential out of all of them, but he is a total head case. I would go with Arrelious, I think he is the safest bet.
10 team
2QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1K, 7D

QB- A.Rodgers, J.Flacco A.Luck, R.Fitzpatrick
WR- A.J. Green, M.Wallace, H.Nicks, V.Jax, A.Brown, S.Hill
RB- D.McFadden, R.Rice, R.Matthews, D.Martin, S.Ridley
TE- J.Finley, B. Pettigrew, D. Pitta
K- M. Bryant, J.Tucker

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 am

I actually think Benn has as much or more upside as the other two and is the safest bet.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 am

hosler427 wrote:I actually think Benn has as much or more upside as the other two and is the safest bet.
Me too. Benn is tremendously talented. I traded up last year to get him. Expect a slow start in 2011 but he will come on later as he fully recovers.

I do agree that considering him vs. Baldwin is about right on value. I would give a later first for Benn rather than pick Baldwin, but it's close.

Side note: DT has no business in this conversation.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:52 am

tstafford wrote:
hosler427 wrote:I actually think Benn has as much or more upside as the other two and is the safest bet.
Me too. Benn is tremendously talented. I traded up last year to get him. Expect a slow start in 2011 but he will come on later as he fully recovers.

I do agree that considering him vs. Baldwin is about right on value. I would give a later first for Benn rather than pick Baldwin, but it's close.

Side note: DT has no business in this conversation.
I don't think Baldwin does either :lol: :lol:

but I have never been a fan of his...

Warhawks
Starter
Starter

Postby Warhawks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:21 am

For me it is Benn hands down. I don't think Baldwin is more talented than Benn plus Benn isn't the head case Baldwin is. I loved Thomas coming out of college but I don't think he will ever be relevant now.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 am

Benn has no business being in this conversation to me, if we are talking about upside. He's a loafer who doesn't work overly hard and has no where near the upside of the other two. Benn should get beat out by Dez Briscoe if Briscoe is given a chance to do so by the end of the year. Voted Baldwin. Keep Benn if you want a WR5 that is pretty certain to still be a WR5 in two years. Sure the other gusy could flame out, but at least there is upside.

fanclubber
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby fanclubber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks guys.

I agree with most of what has been said. I think Baldwin's diva reputation is going to be a problem. It's one thing if you have Randy Moss type talent, but Baldwin doesn't. I like Benn's potential too, but as long as Mike Williams keeps out of trouble, Benn will be nothing more than a #2 in TB and one without deep speed. I see Benn as limited to a possession role, maybe projecting as a future Anquan Boldin type.

Demaryius Thomas interests me because when he was drafted, he was the total package in terms of athleticism. Don't know how much the injuries have taken from him, but coming out of school I would have ranked them 1) Thomas, 2) Benn, 3) Baldwin.

For 2011, I think it's clear that Benn is the best choice. Beyond, I don't know.

RB: Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Beanie Wells, Lamar Miller
WR: Calvin Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, A.J. Green, Mike Wallace, Dez Bryant, Mike Williams (TB), Stephen Hill,. Randy Moss, Andre Roberts

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Benn is the pick for me...Baldwin is what we thought he is :lol: and DThomas is plagued by injuries early in his career...I like the Tampa situation and Benn's upside much more than the other two
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Also voted Benn, but can't fault anyone too much for risking Baldwin.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

fanclubber
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby fanclubber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Benn definitely has the best QB of the three.

Warhawks
Starter
Starter

Postby Warhawks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:32 am

MR ROURKE wrote:Benn has no business being in this conversation to me, if we are talking about upside. He's a loafer who doesn't work overly hard and has no where near the upside of the other two. Benn should get beat out by Dez Briscoe if Briscoe is given a chance to do so by the end of the year. Voted Baldwin. Keep Benn if you want a WR5 that is pretty certain to still be a WR5 in two years. Sure the other gusy could flame out, but at least there is upside.
Benn a loafer who doesn't work overly hard?? I don't know if you have been paying attention or not but there is this guy by the name of Baldwin over in KC who doesn't want to listen and thinks he knows it all. He doesn't want to learn how to get off the jam at the line among other things.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:31 am

Warhawks wrote:
MR ROURKE wrote:Benn has no business being in this conversation to me, if we are talking about upside. He's a loafer who doesn't work overly hard and has no where near the upside of the other two. Benn should get beat out by Dez Briscoe if Briscoe is given a chance to do so by the end of the year. Voted Baldwin. Keep Benn if you want a WR5 that is pretty certain to still be a WR5 in two years. Sure the other gusy could flame out, but at least there is upside.
Benn a loafer who doesn't work overly hard?? I don't know if you have been paying attention or not but there is this guy by the name of Baldwin over in KC who doesn't want to listen and thinks he knows it all. He doesn't want to learn how to get off the jam at the line among other things.
Neither have great work ethics, but Baldwin has a lot more skill. People keep saying Benn is the safest, but he's not. My post was merely to state that Benn had work ethic problems just like Baldwin, but people are dogging Baldwin right now and ignoring that Benn is one too. People shouldn't be beating Baldwin up when Benn hasn't been known to be the model of work ethic. Just trying to keep things based in reality.

FantasyBandit
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FantasyBandit » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:36 am

Benn.

Baldwin is close but a tad behind.

As said earlier Demyrius shouldn't be mentioned along with the other 2...