My Offseason Review

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ruggermad
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

My Offseason Review

Postby ruggermad » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 am

I made a post in January at the end of last season to try and help identify a way forward for my team that had just got blown up the playoffs (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=196159). Note that a couple of trades predate this post but I have included them below.

Thought it would be interesting to look back as we are about to head into the 2029 season on 8 months of tinkering, trading and drafting.

This 12 team league is a 0.5 PPR (TE1PPR), 0.5PPFD, 6pt TD and starts QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, FLEX, SF

I ended the 2019 season with the following roster;

QB: Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, Jacoby Brissett, Tyrod Taylor, Duck Hodges, Matt Moore

RB: Nick Chubb, Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt, James White, Duke Johnson, Jalen Richard, Jalen Samuels, Jordan Wilkins, Jeff Wilson, Kenneth Dixon, Devine Ozigbo

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Adams, Mike Evans, AJ Green, Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, Quincy Enunwa

TE: Zach Ertz, Blake Jarwin, David Njoku

2020 picks: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.01, 2.03, 2.09, 3.06

Own picks through 2021, 2022

With the above squad I went 10-3, finishing second in my division. Ultimately in the playoffs I had terrible weeks 15 and 16 and finished fourth. I was keen to get rid of some of the pieces I didn’t like and revamp my team somewhat, and felt I had the draft capital to help me do that.

Here are my offseason moves;

Send: 2.03
Receive: Ryan Tannehill

Send: Melvin Gordon + 3.06
Receive: 1.10 + 2021 first (mid - late)

Send: Kareem Hunt + Jacoby Brissett + 1.10 + 2.09
Receive: Saquon Barkley

Send: Mike Evans + Mitchell Trubisky
Receive: Robert Woods + Dak Prescott

Send: Deshaun Watson
Receive: Russell Wilson + 1.12

Send: Ryan Tannehill + 1.08 + 2.01
Receive: Kyler Murray + 3.06

Send: Kyler Murray + 1.12
Receive: Alvin Kamara + 2021 first (early) + 2021 first (early) + 2021 second (early)

Send: Duke Johnson + 1.07 + 3.06
Receive: Allen Robinson + Jarvis Landry

Send: 1.06
Receive: Dallas Goedert + 1.08 + 3.09

Send: 1.05 + 2021 second (early)
Receive: 1.03

Send: Robert Woods + 2021 second (late)
Receive: Latavius Murray + 2021 first (early - mid)

Send: 3.06
Receive: Curtis Samuel

Send: Nick Chubb + 2021 third (late) + 2022 second
Receive: D.J. Moore + 2021 first (mid)

With the draft picks I had left I selected the following;

1.03 - Jonathan Taylor
1.08 - Justin Herbert

I also added a few UDFA post draft.

Following all of this, I’m feeling confident I can challenge for the championship. My roster heading into 2020 is now looking like this;

QB: Russel Wilson, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Tyrod Taylor

RB: Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Jonathan Taylor, Latavius Murray, James White, Bryce Love, Carlos Hyde, Devine Ozigbo

WR: Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, D.J. Moore, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Curtis Samuel, AJ Green, Greg Ward, Quez Watkins, John Hightower, Donovan Peoples Jones, Quintez Cephus, James Proche

TE: Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Blake Jarwin, David Njoku

2x projected early 2021 firsts
2x projected mid 2021 firsts
2x projected late 2021 firsts

2022 first
2022 third

Own picks through 2023

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: My Offseason Review

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:17 am

I really like your roster transition. The Gordon and Barkley trades are fantastic! Your QBs are a little light, but you have three starters which is big. You are built to win now and for a few years more. Nice work and good luck this year.

JamboMac
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JamboMac » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:20 am

Some of those trades are big wins! Well done. I love tinkering with rosters and went through some big overhauls myself this year. It's fun!
12 team - 1QB, PPR
QB- Mahomes, Geno, Dobbs
RB- Ekeler, Taylor, Z.White, B.Robinson, Mattison, Stevenson, Zeke
WR- Allen, Jefferson, Tyreek, AJ Brown, M.Thomas, Atwell
TE- McBride, Waller, J.Smith

12 team - SF, PPR, 0.25PPC, 1.5 TEP
QB - Allen, Lawrence, Jackson
RB - JT, Etienne, Hall, K.Williams, Gibbs, Dobbins
WR - Lamb, St Brown, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, JSN, Meyers
TE - Pitts, Engram, Freiermuth, Otton,

Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Edgy68 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:19 pm

I like that your roster is competitive AND you have 6 2021 1sts. Go win a title, then use those on your favorite rookies and trade some for plug and play vets. Nice spot to be in.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, D. Henry, M. Sanders, B. Hall, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson
WR AJ Brown, C. Ridley, J. Chase, C. Lamb, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo

samlarson
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby samlarson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 am

You are really have done some shopping with your offseason moves. Great work
If you want to get into the best university I recommend that you check some info from admission writer site

ruggermad
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ruggermad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:49 am

Another trade that squeezed in before the season...

Send: Jonathan Taylor, Jarvis Landry, Bryce Love
Receive: Deshaun Watson, D’Andre Swift

Really reluctant to let Taylor go but this seemed too good to refuse right?

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:57 am

Well then. Impressive off season. Like your team a lot more now than before. There are some trades that I think you lost value, but you then made trades with the pieces you received and easily netted more value. Very nice trading. Just for fun breaking down your trades:
Send: 2.03
Receive: Ryan Tannehill
Nice value, like really nice value. I sent Tannehill and a 2021 3rd from team B for team B's 2021 1st and 2021 2nd. I'm not sure if Tannehill will be able to maintain his 2019 performance, but he is certainly startable. Definitely a WIN in my mind.
Send: Melvin Gordon + 3.06
Receive: 1.10 + 2021 first (mid - late)
HUGE WIN. Who knows what melvin gordon will be, and a 3rd round pick is a dart throw. You managed to get 2 1sts for Gordon and you have the expectation of the 2021 being mid-late. If for some reason that team suffers injuries and suddenly its a higher pick you win even more.
Send: Kareem Hunt + Jacoby Brissett + 1.10 + 2.09
Receive: Saquon Barkley
Love it. I'm guessing this trade was made before rivers signed. Even if Brissett was a starter I would still take the Barkley side. I do like Hunt, but giving the 1.10 and Hunt for Barkley is a no brainer. WIN

Send: Mike Evans + Mitchell Trubisky
Receive: Robert Woods + Dak Prescott
Well when I first saw this trade I was drawn to Evans and Woods, and was very disappointed. I think Evans will be great with Brady. Then I saw the HUGE upgrade from Trubisky to Dak. Again a huge win!

Send: Deshaun Watson
Receive: Russell Wilson + 1.12
This is one of the trades that I think you actually lost value. I know crazy to say and I love Wilson, but the seahawks are a run first team. Who knows what houston will be, but the years that Watson gives you I think are more important than the 1.12. I think you lost value but it wasn't much value.
Send: Ryan Tannehill + 1.08 + 2.01
Receive: Kyler Murray + 3.06
LOVE IT! big win imo. Kyler may be drafted in the first round of SF startups, and that may be overpriced imo, but there is no way he should really fall out of the first 2 rounds. So this is a 2nd round startup pick for the 1.08, 2.01 and Tannehill. Value is a huge win here.
Send: Kyler Murray + 1.12
Receive: Alvin Kamara + 2021 first (early) + 2021 first (early) + 2021 second (early)
And you move the 1.12 from a trade I didn't love and Kyler from a trade I really loved to get Kamara and a couple 1sts. I think this is good value. Kyler's ceiling is high high high, and maybe in a couple years the value looks different, but getting Kamara is great, and is a known value (a top 4 RB). Pairing him with Barkley is awesome, and you still have Wilson and Dak as your starters (top 6 QBs imo) WIN
Send: Duke Johnson + 1.07 + 3.06
Receive: Allen Robinson + Jarvis Landry
Wow! Just wow, getting two undervalued WRs for Duke and the 1.07. Great value, really boosts your WR group and all you do is sacrifice a potential WR (I assume Juedy/Lamb at 1.07) WIN
Send: 1.06
Receive: Dallas Goedert + 1.08 + 3.09
I think this is fine. I get that you have Ertz, but I don't think that TEs outside of the top 4 (Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, Ertz) are that valuable. I think I would have preferred to stick at 1.06 but again if you lost I don't think you lost a huge amount of value.
Send: 1.05 + 2021 second (early)
Receive: 1.03
LOVE IT!
Send: Robert Woods + 2021 second (late)
Receive: Latavius Murray + 2021 first (early - mid)
Getting Murray is solid, also the first is great, especially if it also ends up being early.
Send: 3.06
Receive: Curtis Samuel
I think this is probably the going value for Samuel
Send: Nick Chubb + 2021 third (late) + 2022 second
Receive: D.J. Moore + 2021 first (mid)
HOT DAMN! Love it!
With the draft picks I had left I selected the following;

1.03 - Jonathan Taylor
1.08 - Justin Herbert
Could you post the first round of the draft? I think I would have rathered going with a QB at 1.03 and then a RB/WR at 1.08, but...
Send: Jonathan Taylor, Jarvis Landry, Bryce Love
Receive: Deshaun Watson, D’Andre Swift
But you suddenly pulled this master trade off. Just amazing. WOW! just wow. The fact that you made this trade all of a sudden reverses my earlier opinions about your previous Watson trade and your drafting of JT.

Like i said, you had a lot of amazing trades, and even the ones that you may have lost value, I think you moved further pieces to be even better. Ultimately the only trade I didn't like was the move from 1.06 to 1.08.

Now looking at your team:

QB: Watson, Russel Wilson, Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert, Tyrod Taylor
I guess in my above assesment I forgot you had Tyrod also. Really like this group. I think you have 3 of the top 6 QBs in Wilson, Dak, and Watson

RB: Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Swift, Latavius Murray, James White, Carlos Hyde, Devine Ozigbo
Barkley and Kamara are your 1/2, again you have 2 of the top 4 RBs. You have Swift who should contribute later this season and start in 2021. Murray provides you with insurance for Kamara. White is a great PPR back.

WR: Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, D.J. Moore, Allen Robinson, Curtis Samuel, AJ Green, Greg Ward, Quez Watkins, John Hightower, Donovan Peoples Jones, Quintez Cephus, James Proche
Nuk and DJM are a great 1/2. I'm not super high on Adams but he should see a ton of targets this year. A Rob is a great WR4. The rest are a bunch of hopefulls. I would be happy to sell any of them for picks if they suddenly improve their value. One exception is AJG who I will keep if he does well.

TE: Zach Ertz, Dallas Goedert, Blake Jarwin, David Njoku
Ertz is great. Goedert is fine. Jarwin and Njoku for TE3/4 is wonderful.

2x projected early 2021 firsts
2x projected mid 2021 firsts
2x projected late 2021 firsts

2022 first
2022 third

Own picks through 2023

WOW! great picks. so 6 of 12 2021 1sts. thats great. Gives you plenty of ammo to buy players in season for a push.

Overall: I think you have set yourself up to be a true dynasty. Very impressive off season. I think you will be a force for years to come.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

ruggermad
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ruggermad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:30 am

Awesome breakdown - appreciate the efforts. I’m pleased with how it turned out too.

I try and forget about our rookie draft. It was held the weekend after the NFL Draft and I needed a QB3 as I only had Wilson and Dak at that point. As you’ll see there’s one major faller that I can’t get out of my head...

1.01 - Joe Burrow
1.02 - Tua Tagovailoa
1.03 - Jonathan Taylor
1.04 - CEH
1.05 - Cam Akers
1.06 - D’Andre Swift
1.07 - JK Dobbins
1.08 - Justin Herbert
1.09 - Ke’Shawn Vaughn
1.10 - Henry Ruggs
1.11 - Jerry Jeudy
1.12 - Justin Jefferson

You’ll notice Lamb is missing. He went at 2.01. I tried to trade for every pick after my 1.08 but no one would budge. Given I’ve since traded for Watson I’m kicking myself for not taking Lamb

cptjonesb
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby cptjonesb » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 am

I want to be in a league with the guys you play with as they just keep handing you huge trade wins.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:39 am

ruggermad wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:30 am Awesome breakdown - appreciate the efforts. I’m pleased with how it turned out too.

I try and forget about our rookie draft. It was held the weekend after the NFL Draft and I needed a QB3 as I only had Wilson and Dak at that point. As you’ll see there’s one major faller that I can’t get out of my head...

1.01 - Joe Burrow
1.02 - Tua Tagovailoa
1.03 - Jonathan Taylor
1.04 - CEH
1.05 - Cam Akers
1.06 - D’Andre Swift
1.07 - JK Dobbins
1.08 - Justin Herbert
1.09 - Ke’Shawn Vaughn
1.10 - Henry Ruggs
1.11 - Jerry Jeudy
1.12 - Justin Jefferson

You’ll notice Lamb is missing. He went at 2.01. I tried to trade for every pick after my 1.08 but no one would budge. Given I’ve since traded for Watson I’m kicking myself for not taking Lamb
Damn, yea image if you had grabbed Juedy at 1.08 and pulled off a trade to get Lamb. Would have been amazing after the Watson trade. Regardless you're set it hurts a little but your firsts can grab you young WR targets.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07