A Superflex Life Volume V

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

A Superflex Life Volume V

Postby yellowdart2448 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 am

I'm sure many read the article but I wanted to mention this and see if others find this true as well... In a Superflex league, the only thing I will mention is that these hypothetical trade scenarios (from the article) sound good on paper, and I do believe the value assessment is correct, but typically the owners you are trading QBs to have a QB issue because they don’t understand the value of QB. I’m in a 10 team SF league where I have Watson, Ryan, Jones, and Bridgewater (have Trubisky too… argh!). Another owner has Rodgers, Fitpatrick and Foles. He asked me if I would be willing to trade Jones. I said sure, and asked for Chark and his 1.10 this year. Not even getting a QB back which I know would be bad for me and he still said no chance and was on the fence with Chark straight up. I then casually said Chark and his 2.10 and he said no though I wouldn’t have done that anyways. My point is that though Jones in theory has a lot of value, when you trade with a QB needy team, they don’t understand that value. The only people who understand the value are already set at QB. I'm just curious how others feel about that. It won't deter me from going QB heavy in start up leagues but I think it's important enough to understand that if half the league or more don't feel the same way, you're going to have a really hard time ever getting true value for QBs in superflex leagues. Then you end up with three solid QBs on your bench. I've seen QB needy owners go as far as not starting a QB in the superflex for multiple weeks if they had an injury just to prove their point.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Re: A Superflex Life Volume V

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:24 am

This is an annoying factor and I'm currently dealing with the same issue. Your trades will all tend to happen in season unfortunately and makes it hard to contend if you aren't going into the season already set.

I'm thinking it will just take alot of patience because as time goes by all your draft picks will be spent on non QB's where everyone else will be overdrafting the Justin Herberts of the world(nothing against him, but if a team is desperate they will reach)
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

Postby yellowdart2448 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:36 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:24 am This is an annoying factor and I'm currently dealing with the same issue. Your trades will all tend to happen in season unfortunately and makes it hard to contend if you aren't going into the season already set.

I'm thinking it will just take alot of patience because as time goes by all your draft picks will be spent on non QB's where everyone else will be overdrafting the Justin Herberts of the world(nothing against him, but if a team is desperate they will reach)
Agreed though I run into situations in rookie drafts where people let QBs slide when they shouldn't. Sure Herbert might be a bust but the Chargers drafted him high so he will get every chance to succeed. I've seen him slide to the end of the 1st in a 12 team league. The chances that Herbert becomes more valuable than say Jefferson or Reagor is pretty high. Sometimes, even when you don't need a QB, taking the BPA value wise and flipping them for a profit later is the wise move. Of course getting a profit goes back to my original comment lol.

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 am

By year 3 and later in a SF dynasty league those owners that didn't value the QB position initially will either have figured it out over time, or will likely struggle as a result. Having Fitz and Foles as his number 2 and 3 QBs and having no urgency to acquire another QB is whistling past the graveyard IMO. Sometimes it just takes time for owners to realize how different a SF league is compared to 1QB.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill
2.01 2.08

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re:

Postby Gator Sens » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:44 am

pmart33 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 am By year 3 and later in a SF dynasty league those owners that didn't value the QB position initially will either have figured it out over time, or will likely struggle as a result. Having Fitz and Foles as his number 2 and 3 QBs and having no urgency to acquire another QB is whistling past the graveyard IMO. Sometimes it just takes time for owners to realize how different a SF league is compared to 1QB.
Good thoughts, time can run out quickly in SF depending on a QB core.

repkllrs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby repkllrs » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Just walk away from those owners, and wish them good luck. They will come back to you eventually.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Abe Lincoln

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm

I think that, unintentionally, this thread shows that it's US who is not getting it. Look, I'm the guy who always values and overpays for QBs. But it's not that other owners don't get it and will come to me eventually. Rather, it's that other owners don't value QBs the same way. Saying that they'll all wise up and come knocking later actually entirely dismisses that they simply have a different perspective.

There's a guy in my league who had 5 starting QBs going into the draft (same league as Team 1 in sig.). He then traded up to draft a couple more rookie QBs. He keeps saying that eventually everyone is going to come to him for a QB. But he's been saying that for years. Instead, teams who devalue QBs go to other teams who devalue QBs and make trades that way.

I'm not saying that we should all jump off the QB bandwagon. Again, I'm driving it in most of my leagues! But we also shouldn't be so stuck in our own opinions that we presume that everyone else will eventually see things the same way.

(And, yes, I have seen teams with elite QBs and with garbage QBs win.)
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

yellowdart2448
Starter
Starter

Postby yellowdart2448 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm

:oops:
moishetreats wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm I think that, unintentionally, this thread shows that it's US who is not getting it. Look, I'm the guy who always values and overpays for QBs. But it's not that other owners don't get it and will come to me eventually. Rather, it's that other owners don't value QBs the same way. Saying that they'll all wise up and come knocking later actually entirely dismisses that they simply have a different perspective.

There's a guy in my league who had 5 starting QBs going into the draft (same league as Team 1 in sig.). He then traded up to draft a couple more rookie QBs. He keeps saying that eventually everyone is going to come to him for a QB. But he's been saying that for years. Instead, teams who devalue QBs go to other teams who devalue QBs and make trades that way.

I'm not saying that we should all jump off the QB bandwagon. Again, I'm driving it in most of my leagues! But we also shouldn't be so stuck in our own opinions that we presume that everyone else will eventually see things the same way.

Good point. Typically the league is split and like you said... QB needy teams just trade with each other at a discount.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:39 pm

moishetreats wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 pm I think that, unintentionally, this thread shows that it's US who is not getting it. Look, I'm the guy who always values and overpays for QBs. But it's not that other owners don't get it and will come to me eventually. Rather, it's that other owners don't value QBs the same way. Saying that they'll all wise up and come knocking later actually entirely dismisses that they simply have a different perspective.

I agree. Knowing the perception of your league is very important. If you understand what your leaguemates prefer you can use this to your advantage. If they are super hyped about rookies all the time it might be worth your time to hold your picks until the draft and trade your picks for proven studs.If you know they value vets more you can stock up on breakout candidates for cheap. If they value QBs poorly it will likely create a scarcity at RB or WR, so it might be worth your while to draft those positions instead and then flip them for the elite QB who is underpriced.

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

I disagree that owners that don’t value qb will eventually be willing to give up massive prices for elite QBs. More realistically they will continue to try and trade for cheaper QBs, there is a growing belief that elite QBs aren’t necessary in SF, having 2 decent QBs is what’s important. So, to a contender, why give up your chance to win to trade for Wilson or better when you can patch it up with brees/roeth, etc.