Rookie Draft Help! (UPDATE-3rd round pick)

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Edgy68
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Rookie Draft Help (Huge rebuilding year!)

Postby Edgy68 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am

I was going to advise against QB in a rebuild, because getting ascending assets like Dobbins at 1.03 and trading him next year if need be increases the value of your roster overall. Taking BPA does this, and you’ll be vying for the 1.01 next year to help the build.

But if I understand you correctly, you MUST have a starter in place for this season. Tua isn’t going to be the starter at first, so if you pick him you will need a starter still. Since you aren’t going to compete this season (and I like the idea of trading your older studs in season for young players + 2021 draft capital), I’d pay a 3rd for QBs like Rivers on their last legs. If you feel strongly about the way QBs are valued in your league, stand by your convictions and take Burrow at 1.10. Everyone is simply trying to get you to add the best possible value to your roster with every pick to keep the rebuild time to the shortest it can be.
Wasteland
12-team, PPR 25 roster 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1(RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson
RB J. Taylor, D. Henry, M. Sanders, B. Hall, T. Sermon, C. Patterson, P. Strong, K. Ingram, TDP, D. Achane, K. Miller, R. Johnson
WR AJ Brown, C. Ridley, J. Chase, C. Lamb, JSN, G. Pickens, K. Osborn, J. Meyers, A. Pierce, T. Scott
TE T. Kelce, D. Goedert, G. Dulcich, J. Woods
D/ST MIN, PIT, DEN

Panthers
12-team SF, .5 PPR 35 roster: 1QB, 1SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 2DB, 2LB, 2DL, 1FLEX
QB J. Burrow, A. Richardson, J. Winston, S. Howell
RB J. Mixon, E. Elliott, N. Chubb, J. Kelley, K. Harris, J. Ford
WR D. Hopkins, C. Godwin, T. Higgins, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Njigba, J. Mingo
TE T. Kelce, K. Pitts, Z. Ertz, D. Goedert, J. Ferguson
DB R. Grant, J. Simmons
DL D. Hunter, A. Highsmith, S. Hubbard
LB C. Mosley, A. Singleton, P. Queen, D. Deablo

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 am

Edgy68 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am I was going to advise against QB in a rebuild, because getting ascending assets like Dobbins at 1.03 and trading him next year if need be increases the value of your roster overall. Taking BPA does this, and you’ll be vying for the 1.01 next year to help the build.

But if I understand you correctly, you MUST have a starter in place for this season. Tua isn’t going to be the starter at first, so if you pick him you will need a starter still. Since you aren’t going to compete this season (and I like the idea of trading your older studs in season for young players + 2021 draft capital), I’d pay a 3rd for QBs like Rivers on their last legs. If you feel strongly about the way QBs are valued in your league, stand by your convictions and take Burrow at 1.10. Everyone is simply trying to get you to add the best possible value to your roster with every pick to keep the rebuild time to the shortest it can be.
Thanks! Appreciate the advise.

I have two pending trades right now that I think will go through...am hopeful and should know by tomorrow, based off the deadline I gave them because the draft starts on Monday.

1st Trade:
-I move down from 1.08 to 1.10 and receive a 2021 2nd round pick (most likely low end 2nd)

2nd Trade: (I will pull the trigger on the first trade once I know this trade goes through- they coincide)
-I receive Drew Lock
-I trade 2021 2nd and 3rd round pick (I would trade away the 2nd rounder I receive from the trade 1 and my own 3rd rounder next year

That would leave me with a QB that I like and the following draft picks the next 2 drafts in a 12 team league/5rounds
2020: 1.03, 1.07, 1.10, 2.01, 3.03, 4.03, 5.01
2021: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th

Thoughts?
Trying to go from worst to first, who wants to help!

12 team with IDP .5 ppr,: 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 4 Flex (WR/RB/TE).
Also includes IDP (2each) for DL, LB, DB and 1 kicker
Starts 15/ Bench is 25 deep with 3 practice squad spots for players yet to meet min criteria for career
Free agency has been locked since Superbowl and will start after the draft concludes

QB: Drew Lock, Brissett, Driskel, Allen, Blough, Finley
RB: Eckler, Gordon, Justin Jackson, Darrell Williams, McKissic, Brian Hill
WR: Hopkins, Deebo Samuel, Boykins, Valdez-Scantling, Allison, Snead, Sanu, Goodwin, Coutee, Agholor, Isabella, St. Brown, Ward, Chester Rodgers, Paul Richard
TE: Ian Thomas, Irv Smith, Ryan Griffin
DL: Trey Flowers, Justin Houston, Jonathon Allen
LB: Fred Warner, Matt Milano, Anthony Walker
DB: Budda Baker, Adrian Amos, Jessie Bates
K: Jake Elliott

2020- Dobbins, Jeudy, Reagor, Higgins, 3.03, 4.01, 5.01 (traded for Drew Lock also)
2021 1st, 1st, 2nd 4th, 5th

dynasty12
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dynasty12 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

adamzaff wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 am
Edgy68 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:32 am I was going to advise against QB in a rebuild, because getting ascending assets like Dobbins at 1.03 and trading him next year if need be increases the value of your roster overall. Taking BPA does this, and you’ll be vying for the 1.01 next year to help the build.

Thanks! Appreciate the advise.

I have two pending trades right now that I think will go through...am hopeful and should know by tomorrow, based off the deadline I gave them because the draft starts on Monday.

1st Trade:
-I move down from 1.08 to 1.10 and receive a 2021 2nd round pick (most likely low end 2nd)

2nd Trade: (I will pull the trigger on the first trade once I know this trade goes through- they coincide)
-I receive Drew Lock
-I trade 2021 2nd and 3rd round pick (I would trade away the 2nd rounder I receive from the trade 1 and my own 3rd rounder next year

That would leave me with a QB that I like and the following draft picks the next 2 drafts in a 12 team league/5rounds
2020: 1.03, 1.07, 1.10, 2.01, 3.03, 4.03, 5.01
2021: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th

Thoughts?
I think that is fair. You turn 1.8 into the QB you need while still maintaining the WR/RB swing at 1.10.

One thing to consider is, for me, there is a 7 player tier (Jeudy, Lamb, 5RBs). Could one of those 7 fall to 8? If one falls can you get more trade value out of 8 during the draft or by using the pick on the player who falls?

I personally don't care which WR I swing on after Lamb and Jeudy. Some will bust some won't. I'm too dumb to know the difference. But some people do care, you might value or covet a guy you can land at 8 more than 10, which I am sure you've considered.

Overall, I personally consider 10 and 8 equal picks if those 7 are gone, so turning 8 into Lock and one of the WRs is a good move in my book.

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Update:

I just acquired Drew Lock for a 2nd and 3rd round next year.

I have a handshake deal with someone else to move down from 1.08 to 1.10 if one of two players he wants fall to pick 8. Based off intel from others, I believe Cam Akers should fall (one of the two he wants there). If that is the case, I will trade back to 1.10 and then go BPA for 1.10 and 2.01 (13th overall) and have Drew Lock as my starting QB.

Starts 15/ Bench is 25 deep with 3 practice squad spots for players yet to meet min criteria for career
Free agency has been locked since Superbowl and will start after the draft concludes

WR: Hopkins, Deebo Samuel, Boykins, Valdez-Scantling, Allison, Snead, Sanu, Goodwin, Coutee, Agholor, Isabella, St. Brown, Ward, Chester Rodgers, Paul Richard

2020- Dobbins, Jeudy, Reagor, Higgins, 3.03, 4.01, 5.01 (traded for Drew Lock also)

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Sun May 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Much better than taking Burrow in the first. I like Lock too.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm

FantasyFoosball wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:39 pm Much better than taking Burrow in the first. I like Lock too.
Big ups to you for helping me see the light. Now I have a QB I am happy with and get 4 BPA's in first 13picks and only spent essentially a 2021 3rd rounder to get Lock.

My 3rd round pick will be 3.03 (27th overall), would you rather go Justin Herbert or Joshua Kelley?

Based off my team in the Signature (I have Eckler/Jackson) and now acquiring Lock?

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Sun May 24, 2020 3:10 pm

adamzaff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm
FantasyFoosball wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:39 pm Much better than taking Burrow in the first. I like Lock too.
Big ups to you for helping me see the light. Now I have a QB I am happy with and get 4 BPA's in first 13picks and only spent essentially a 2021 3rd rounder to get Lock.

My 3rd round pick will be 3.03 (27th overall), would you rather go Justin Herbert or Joshua Kelley?

Based off my team in the Signature (I have Eckler/Jackson) and now acquiring Lock?
I think that move to get Lock for so cheap will definitely make your team better, now that you can take BPA.

I like Kelley and would expect him to be gone by 3.03. I think Herbert would be good value there, but hard to say for sure without knowing who is available.
Team One:
.5 PPR/$200 budget

QB - Mahomes
K - Bass

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton

mmass
All Pro
All Pro

Postby mmass » Sun May 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Put Gordon, Hopkins, Eckler all on the block by the time you are ready to win the ship they will all be older.
I would definitely talk to 1.04 and 1.05 owner when it comes to Hopkins and see if he would move both for the stud.
Maybe even 1.04, 1.05 and his 2021 1st for Hopkins and Eckler.... depending on his roster it could make him and instant Championship
Contender and that is the way I would sell it.

For a rebuild WR's are far more valuable than RB's with that said you are in a prime spot to take one of the top RB's and though I don't love Taking Lamb at 1.03 it is prob more beneficial to your squad at the moment than Dobbins.

with that said I would prob go
1.03 Lamb
1.07 Reagor Jefferson
1.08 Reager Jefferson
2.01 Burrow, Tua, Mims,

build for the future.
Superflex Format Q(SF)RWWFFTDK 12 Team PPR
SF1 - Yr 2
Goff Ryan Darnold Dalton
CMC Cohen Hines McFarland Peterson
Hopkins Adams Boyd Jeffery Shepard Boykins Higgins Quntez Duverney
Andrews Waller

SF2 - Yr 7 - 2019 Champ
Wentz Dak Goff Grier Brisset
Cook Mixon Hyde Mattison Edmonds Boone
M.Thomas Sutton Edelman J.Landry
Kittle Goedart Higbee

SF3 - Yr 4
Watson Burrow Goff Foles
Barkley Ja.Williams
Hopkins Evans Sutton Lamb Shepard VSM K.Harmon
Higbee Smith Howard

SF4 - Orphan Year 2
Dak Jones Taylor Brisset Eason Hurts
Taylor CEH Edmonds Dobbins
Boyd Ridley Mclaurin Lamb Reagor Harry Bryan Perriman Hurd
Andrews Goedart

2020 2 1st & 2nd

Deep Format - QQRRWWWTTFFDDKK 10 team PPR
Deep 2 Yr 5
Brady Stafford Lock Dalton Brissett
CMC Mixon Taylor Dillon DJ Hyde
Evans Hopkins Julio Edelman Gallup D.Jackson Mimz Claypool Boykin
Engram Gesicki Fant Herndon Dissly

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm

FantasyFoosball wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:10 pm

I think that move to get Lock for so cheap will definitely make your team better, now that you can take BPA.

I like Kelley and would expect him to be gone by 3.03. I think Herbert would be good value there, but hard to say for sure without knowing who is available.
Followup question, do you still take BPA available in round 3-5 or target team needs then more? Backup to your stud back or possibly the next best QB to have another possible QB?

Opposed to maybe a better player you have ranked or maybe someone who slipped?

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Sun May 24, 2020 3:32 pm

adamzaff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Followup question, do you still take BPA available in round 3-5 or target team needs then more? Backup to your stud back or possibly the next best QB to have another possible QB?

It depends on the state of my team, and whether I'm contending or rebuilding, and how far along into a rebuild I am. For your team, I would be taking BPA with each of your picks and trying to acquire as much talent as possible.
Team One:
.5 PPR/$200 budget

QB - Mahomes
K - Bass

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:36 pm

FantasyFoosball wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:32 pm

It depends on the state of my team, and whether I'm contending or rebuilding, and how far along into a rebuild I am. For your team, I would be taking BPA with each of your picks and trying to acquire as much talent as possible.
Thanks!

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 pm

You aren't contending don't ever draft backups IMO, after 3 you are slinging darts looking for a lotto hit. When I get into late rounds I look less at Best player and more at best sleeper. A Preston Williams or UDFA, Arian Foster or Antonio Gates for instance. If you feel strong someone is a bust, grab the guy who gets his job in your mind. Swing for the fences you can grab backups in FA after NFL rosters shakedown before the seasons starts.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm

mmass wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:16 pm Put Gordon, Hopkins, Eckler all on the block by the time you are ready to win the ship they will all be older.
I would definitely talk to 1.04 and 1.05 owner when it comes to Hopkins and see if he would move both for the stud.
Maybe even 1.04, 1.05 and his 2021 1st for Hopkins and Eckler.... depending on his roster it could make him and instant Championship
Contender and that is the way I would sell it.

For a rebuild WR's are far more valuable than RB's with that said you are in a prime spot to take one of the top RB's and though I don't love Taking Lamb at 1.03 it is prob more beneficial to your squad at the moment than Dobbins.

with that said I would prob go
1.03 Lamb
1.07 Reagor Jefferson
1.08 Reager Jefferson
2.01 Burrow, Tua, Mims,

build for the future.
Thanks, I know it was a long thread but some action took place. I reached out to every team in top 15picks overall (including 1.04/1/05) and offered trades. I got one bite to move back from 1.08 to 1.10 and that is locked in.

I also traded for Drew Lock as well. Plan is to go Dobbins at 1.03 and BPA at 1.07,1.08, 2.01 and not take a qb with any of those picks. As well as I have a trade in place to move down from 1.08 to 1.10 if Cam Akers or Jeudy falls (I believe Akers will) and then I receive a 2021 2nd for that trade.

I sold heavy already last year and everyone is aware Dhop is available if the price is right and I plan on shopping him as well as Eckler/Gordon through the season to contenders if the price is right.

Next year I have great draft capital as well. Rebuild in full motion and lots of help from everyone here as well.

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 pm You aren't contending don't ever draft backups IMO, after 3 you are slinging darts looking for a lotto hit. When I get into late rounds I look less at Best player and more at best sleeper. A Preston Williams or UDFA, Arian Foster or Antonio Gates for instance. If you feel strong someone is a bust, grab the guy who gets his job in your mind. Swing for the fences you can grab backups in FA after NFL rosters shakedown before the seasons starts.
Thanks!

adamzaff
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby adamzaff » Sun May 24, 2020 3:47 pm

FantasyFoosball wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:32 pm

With acquiring Drew Lock, I plan on not taking Burrow or Tua unless they fell deep in the 2nd round (poss move up) or to my 3rd round pick (which they won't). Basically plan on leaving him and Tua alone and going BPA for WR/RB for my picks in rounds 1/2.

Would you agree or do you think it's still worth taking Burrow or Tua with 2.01 or possibly a trade up if they fall late 2nd?