2020 NFL Supplemental Draft Potential Issue

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: 2020 NFL Supplemental Draft Potential Issue

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:13 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:37 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:33 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:51 pm If you're really concerned about this becoming a reality, just delay your draft. That's the most logical thing to do.
We put it to a vote and did just that, but lost an owner over it.
You lost an owner over that? Wow. I would think that owner was looking for a reason to leave if that's the case.
Yep. Was a friend of mine, too. Our bylaws state the two commissioners would entertain all ideas, in terms of changes, but decide which ones are put to a vote. His idea was entertained, but we didn't feel had a strong enough argument to include it in the vote. The vote was pretty lopsided in favour of postponing the draft. He decided he did not care for that part of the bylaws, and quit. I didn't agree with the way he went about it, but he's entitled to his opinion, and will remain a friend of mine. We've been friends for a long time, and he's got a lot going on in his life, it was probably best for all parties, in the end.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:05 pm

I would just have the 2020 rookie draft as planned and cross that bridge if/when you get to it. No reason to delay your rookie draft due to a very hypothetical situation. The NFL is moving forward as planned, so I'd think dynasty leagues should follow suit.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm

chalorpas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:53 pm I feel like the best option would be still including all the supplemental draft players in the 2021 rookie draft. They would have already gone through their rookie season by that point but how can you include them with the 2020 class? It hyper-inflates the 2020 draft picks and devalues any 2021 draft picks, as that entire class would be depleted.
Somebody in my league suggested this and at first it sounded reasonable. But what if Etienne goes off and is rookie of the year? Just seems like delaying the 2020 rookie draft till after the supplemental is the best course of action.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:22 pm

pokerface40 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm
chalorpas wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:53 pm I feel like the best option would be still including all the supplemental draft players in the 2021 rookie draft. They would have already gone through their rookie season by that point but how can you include them with the 2020 class? It hyper-inflates the 2020 draft picks and devalues any 2021 draft picks, as that entire class would be depleted.
Somebody in my league suggested this and at first it sounded reasonable. But what if Etienne goes off and is rookie of the year? Just seems like delaying the 2020 rookie draft till after the supplemental is the best course of action.
Bad idea. You have the hindsight bias. It creates a two tiered rookie draft. They aren't rookie players, and they shouldn't be part of a rookie draft. They would be FA's if you hold the rookie draft ahead of time, and in other years, despite the outlier situation this year, would be part of the FA pool, as all supplemental players would be normally. You either need to delay your draft until after the supplemental draft, or have a supplemental draft in your league in 2020 after your rookie draft if it comes to fruition. I heard the podcast "Commission Impossible" discussed this as a solution, but have not listened to it, yet.

Having BB doesn't work, because having twelve people bid the max amount on Etienne is a nightmare tie breaker that will destroy a league, and having a rookie draft where non rookies are involved in 2021 presents massive problems with the ability of seeing the guys play already. Plus it allows people who have traded away 2021 picks access to these players. Having a supplemental draft where you have to use your 2021 picks, just like the NFL, would be the best solution, if you don't delay your draft IMO. They will only enter if there is no 2021 college season, so a supplemental draft is the way to go, if you proceed with your rookie draft prior.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick