Are 25 year old RBs are bad investments in startups??

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Nimrod
Role Player
Role Player

Are 25 year old RBs are bad investments in startups??

Postby Nimrod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 am

A few weeks ago this site posted an article about when to sell your RBs. i will post the link below. Data from the last 5+ years has shown that the likelihood of a RB having an RB1 season over the age of 26 are slim, less than 20%. Also RBs that got their second contract were far less likely to maintain the production of their rookie deal for more than a year. The odds aren't ever in your favor!

So it makes we wonder, is it really the best decision to invest in a running back early in a startup that is close to that age? I think of all the startups going on these days and RBs that go in round 1 and 2. I did a startup last summer and RBs that went in round 1 and 2 that were close to 26 or 26 were many. Lev Bell, Gurley, Melvin Gordon, David Johnson to name a few. Id guess all those owners regret taking those players so early a year later as the majority of their fantasy production is likely behind them, not in front of them.

So I am curious where people are at on this years RBs quickly approaching that eerie number age 26?

RBs that will be 25 or 26 this season: Zeke, Fournette, Gurley, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Kamara

Are these type of RBs a poor round 1 or round 2 startup investment, considering the startup shapes your team for years to come? Is it time to sell now for the highest possible return?

I think the answer, is yes.

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2020 ... ing-backs/
Team 1

12 team PPR QB 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex TE DST

QB: Kyler, Cousins, Trubisky
RB: CEH, Hines, Cohen, Evans, Perine,
WR: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Allen Robinson, Gallup, Harry, Kirk
TE: Herndon, Njoku, Doyle

2021 picks 2nd, 4rd,

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Are 25 year old RBs are bad investments in startups??

Postby abloom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:09 am

I mean I personally say yes because I'd rather build a dynasty around WRs.

Planning to build a dynasty around older RBs is a bad idea, but building a win now team around them is a good idea.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:14 am

It seems that 26 is the new 30 for RBs. Would love to see some graphs with total rushing yards by age every year.

Out of your list there are only a couple there that I'd invest an early round pick in a startup. I agree they are generally risky.

I honestly think something was missed in the new CBA but I can't articulate it. RB seems like the riskiest position these days to ever see a second contract.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am

Do I think taking a player like Zeke or Kamara or Cook in the 2nd round of a startup is a bad investment? No, lol. But if you do, you better be building your team to "win now". I think if you are taking older RB's early on in startups, and then take a bunch of rookies with the rest of your picks.... you're doing it wrong.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am

Yes they are. Im in a start up right now that's in the 20th round superflex. I've taken 1 RB and that was devonta Freeman in the 19th I prefer to trade for my starters when the dust settles. The average RB also only starts a couple years, with a 20-30% turnover at the position each and every year people who draft Kenyan Drake, Chris Carson, Aaron Jones, Marlon Mack, Damian Williams, or Raheem mostert are likely to be dissapointed like James Connor drafters last season. Same thing if a RB has peaked it's value imo I move him for a WR. I've sold all my dalvin cook and fournette shares this off season. There value is high right now and can only go down. I think by transferring your assets to a strong WR core and pick and choosing your buy low RBs is the best way to consistently have a great team
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

CurtisMyFavMartin
Starter
Starter

Postby CurtisMyFavMartin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am Do I think taking a player like Zeke or Kamara or Cook in the 2nd round of a startup is a bad investment? No, lol. But if you do, you better be building your team to "win now". I think if you are taking older RB's early on in startups, and then take a bunch of rookies with the rest of your picks.... you're doing it wrong.
I don't see how that strategy is 'wrong'. If you can form a solid lineup with the likes of Henry/Bell and then draft guys like Dobbins or Akers and mixing it up, I think that's pretty sound.

Also to the OP, thanks for sharing this article...I'm definitely gonna start utilizing this strat.
Controlled Chaos 12 Team PPR SFLEX~EST. 2015
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX 1SFLEX

2018+2019 CHAMPION
QB Murray/Stafford
RB Bijan, Gibbs, Zeke
WR DJ Moore, Pittman, JSN, Flowers, Addison, Downs, Lazard
TE Hockenson, Schultz, Knox, Irv Smith

4 2024 1sts
3 2024 2nds
2 2025 1sts

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:46 am

CurtisMyFavMartin wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am
FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am Do I think taking a player like Zeke or Kamara or Cook in the 2nd round of a startup is a bad investment? No, lol. But if you do, you better be building your team to "win now". I think if you are taking older RB's early on in startups, and then take a bunch of rookies with the rest of your picks.... you're doing it wrong.
I don't see how that strategy is 'wrong'. If you can form a solid lineup with the likes of Henry/Bell and then draft guys like Dobbins or Akers and mixing it up, I think that's pretty sound.

Also to the OP, thanks for sharing this article...I'm definitely gonna start utilizing this strat.
I'm not talking about just at the RB position. I'm talking about the whole roster. If you draft Henry/Bell, and then guys like McLaurin and Deebo and Fant and Akers... etc. Then you're doing it wrong.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am

totally depends on the goals of the owner. if you wanna try to win right away and then rebuild if needed then getting those RBs can be a smart move. If you wanna try to draft RB and aim to compete in 3 years then the smart thing is load up on WR, TE, and QB and focus on getting RB later. top WR and TE have more longevity and stability usually as compared to RB.

WR is very deep though, and TE is pretty bland after the top couple guys, so I usually aim for those workhorse rb i think will have longevity early in drafts, but each draft is different.
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:07 am

FantasyFoosball wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:46 am
CurtisMyFavMartin wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am

I'm not talking about just at the RB position. I'm talking about the whole roster. If you draft Henry/Bell, and then guys like McLaurin and Deebo and Fant and Akers... etc. Then you're doing it wrong.
y tho?
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 am

I certainly wouldn't be turned off from drafting those players completely in a start up, but you need to know that if you take an RB who is 25-26 that they likely don't have a long shelf life going forward. They can, however, carry your team in the short term, and will carry value as a result. If you're in "win now mode" these players will be very valuable to you. If you fall out of contention, you can always sell the player to a contender and recoup value, as these types of players are always more valuable during the season.

The only scenario where they can really plummet in value right away is if they get hurt or significantly under perform for you in year 1.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Kyler A-Rich
RB Dobbins Hull
WR Flowers London C. Watson Mingo
TE McBride Musgrave Mayer Fant

1.01 1.03
4 2025 1sts
5 2026 1sts

Team 3
12 Team PPR SF
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Burrow Purdy Howell
RB Taylor Hall Kyren Pollard Z. White Dowdle
WR Lamb Puka Deebo Dionte M. Williams Zay Jones
TE Njoku Fant Hill
2.01 2.08

Team 4
12 Team .5 PPR SF TE Prem 1 PPR
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Purdy Cousins Watson Levis Fields
RB Bijan Gibbs Barkley Walker Kyren
WR Lamb Hill Kupp Dell Diontae E. Moore Mims Pierce
TE Hockenson Goedert

3 2025 1sts
4 2026 1sts

bigbuck22
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigbuck22 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am

JOHNNY_COCKTAIL wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:02 am Yes they are. Im in a start up right now that's in the 20th round superflex. I've taken 1 RB and that was devonta Freeman in the 19th I prefer to trade for my starters when the dust settles. The average RB also only starts a couple years, with a 20-30% turnover at the position each and every year people who draft Kenyan Drake, Chris Carson, Aaron Jones, Marlon Mack, Damian Williams, or Raheem mostert are likely to be dissapointed like James Connor drafters last season. Same thing if a RB has peaked it's value imo I move him for a WR. I've sold all my dalvin cook and fournette shares this off season. There value is high right now and can only go down. I think by transferring your assets to a strong WR core and pick and choosing your buy low RBs is the best way to consistently have a great team
I tend to agree with this for the most part. RBs short shelf life is ther main reason. The only shift away from this is the elite RBs to which there might be 5. Even then, selling at the right time is important. I'm in that boat w Zeke right now. Idk if I should wait one more year or not as I'm built to contend for the next few yrs.

Nimrod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Nimrod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:02 am

Man I love this chatter and and debate! I personally think this very issue of how to value RBs in their 3rd-4th year in the league is one of the biggest questions each dynasty owner has to answer for themselves.

To your point, no, if Kamara, Cook, or Zeke we’re available at any point in round 2 of a 12 team startup, I would not call them a bad pick. If you love RBs and want to win now, take your guy, knowing they many only have 2-3 years left at the top of the RB landscape.

However I would ask this, how many startups or mocks have you seen where Kamara, Cook and Zeke slid into round 2 of a 12 team startup? I have seen 0.

They always go within the first 12 picks that I have seen.

If there was a world where I take Cooper/Godwin Tier, get Kamara in the 2nd and snake around to take someone in the Ridley or Sutton tier in the 3rd, I think that would be a fantastic 3 rounds. I just don’t see that happening.
Team 1

12 team PPR QB 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex TE DST

QB: Kyler, Cousins, Trubisky
RB: CEH, Hines, Cohen, Evans, Perine,
WR: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Allen Robinson, Gallup, Harry, Kirk
TE: Herndon, Njoku, Doyle

2021 picks 2nd, 4rd,

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:17 am

BigBawseRoss wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am totally depends on the goals of the owner. if you wanna try to win right away and then rebuild if needed then getting those RBs can be a smart move. If you wanna try to draft RB and aim to compete in 3 years then the smart thing is load up on WR, TE, and QB and focus on getting RB later. top WR and TE have more longevity and stability usually as compared to RB.

WR is very deep though, and TE is pretty bland after the top couple guys, so I usually aim for those workhorse rb i think will have longevity early in drafts, but each draft is different.
Good thoughts here Ross. Even in a startup, depends on year 1 goals.

boobam13
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby boobam13 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:54 am

I'd rather take the for sure thing for a year or 2 than invest in a guy who hasn't played a snap in the NFL - even if after this first or second year you can sell off a guy on name you got your wins from him and then sell him off for players or future picks - thats just me though

you can really capitalize on teams buying youth in a start up
teams should really be thinking in terms of 2 or 3 year windows at most
12Team/PPR/1QB-2RB-2WR-1TE-1FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2013 and 2017 Champion*
53 Man Rosters - Active (46) Practice Squad (7) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

12Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3FLEX-1K-1DL-2LB-2DB-2DEF FLEX 2019 Champion*
53 Man Rosters - Active (46) Practice Squad (7) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DL-
LB-
DB-

16 Team/PPR/1QB-1RB-1WR-1TE-3 FLEX RB/WR/TE- 1DEF Orphan Team
20 Man Rosters - Active (18) Practice Squad (2) IR
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-

makemeasandwich
Captain
Captain

Postby makemeasandwich » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:35 pm

If you wait until after rounds 3-4 in a SF startup to draft RB's, you're relegated to very poor assets in the RB department(Drake, Carson, Ekeler, Connor types). If you get your RB's early, you can draft much better "older" WR assets such as Thielen, Woods, Parker, etc that have more staying power than late round RB's. The trick with RB's is to sell a year early than a year late.