Kicker method for Rookie draft

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Kicker method for Rookie draft

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm

On one hand I get all the hate for this drafting method, on the other... it’s really not that bad, at all. Not something I’d come up with, but it’s not like it’s unfair or as utterly stupid as everyone is saying, imo.

Maybe I’m the one misunderstanding, but I think what OP is pretty clearly saying is, there are no kickers. Drafting a kicker just denotes what pick you get. That’s it. The questions about drafting multiple kickers, the posts about “I hate kickers in dynasty” are confusing me.

That it’s a snake draft for rookies, likewise isn’t a big deal, in a startup. In fact I can come up with arguments *for* it. 1.01 is still the most valuable, by a good bit. It’s much much less of a steep value curve since it’s snake. That’s it. If you don’t personally like it, that’s fine. I don’t see how it’s inherently stupid.

Now to the actual question. I’d simply have my big board include rookies, and adjust as follows: say your 1.01 is Swift. Wherever you rank him in your big board, add 2.12 to that and bump him up. Say Burrow is your 1.12. Add 2.01 to that and bump him up. If it’s round 5 and the highest value on your board is Swift+2.12? Take your kicker here. I would also consider the strategy of drafting a kicker last (like you should any time there’s actual kickers lol), since you get some value (1.12,2.01) for nothing. Hope that’s clear enough haha

I would absolutely not follow a “run” in this case. Worst case scenario there is you get picks 12,13, big deal.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm

honcho55 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm On one hand I get all the hate for this drafting method, on the other... it’s really not that bad, at all. Not something I’d come up with, but it’s not like it’s unfair or as utterly stupid as everyone is saying, imo.

Maybe I’m the one misunderstanding, but I think what OP is pretty clearly saying is, there are no kickers. Drafting a kicker just denotes what pick you get. That’s it. The questions about drafting multiple kickers, the posts about “I hate kickers in dynasty” are confusing me.

That it’s a snake draft for rookies, likewise isn’t a big deal, in a startup. In fact I can come up with arguments *for* it. 1.01 is still the most valuable, by a good bit. It’s much much less of a steep value curve since it’s snake. That’s it. If you don’t personally like it, that’s fine. I don’t see how it’s inherently stupid.

Now to the actual question. I’d simply have my big board include rookies, and adjust as follows: say your 1.01 is Swift. Wherever you rank him in your big board, add 2.12 to that and bump him up. Say Burrow is your 1.12. Add 2.01 to that and bump him up. If it’s round 5 and the highest value on your board is Swift+2.12? Take your kicker here. I would also consider the strategy of drafting a kicker last (like you should any time there’s actual kickers lol), since you get some value (1.12,2.01) for nothing. Hope that’s clear enough haha

I would absolutely not follow a “run” in this case. Worst case scenario there is you get picks 12,13, big deal.
Disagree. Having multiple draft spots (4) for one pick is a pretty bad idea, IMO. It's 4 players for one pick. Personally at a certain point, I'd start drafting all kickers, if you can get the entire 2020 class, pretty much, you might have a hell of a team, but that's besides the point. Having 4 rounds of picks for 1 pick in the startup is not a good idea. If you can only take 1 kicker, that's also stupid. What happens if you don't want to draft any rookie? I still have some questions, but you should be able to draft as many rookies or as little as you want in a startup. If you can draft as many as you'd like, you are getting a group of players for 1 startup pick, also stupid, IMO. It's like drafting Kamara, and you get DeAndre Washington, Nelson Agholor, and Darrell Henderson along with him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 pm
honcho55 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm On one hand I get all the hate for this drafting method, on the other... it’s really not that bad, at all. Not something I’d come up with, but it’s not like it’s unfair or as utterly stupid as everyone is saying, imo.

Disagree. Having multiple draft spots (4) for one pick is a pretty bad idea, IMO. It's 4 players for one pick. Personally at a certain point, I'd start drafting all kickers, if you can get the entire 2020 class, pretty much, you might have a hell of a team, but that's besides the point. Having 4 rounds of picks for 1 pick in the startup is not a good idea. If you can only take 1 kicker, that's also stupid. What happens if you don't want to draft any rookie? I still have some questions, but you should be able to draft as many rookies or as little as you want in a startup. If you can draft as many as you'd like, you are getting a group of players for 1 startup pick, also stupid, IMO. It's like drafting Kamara, and you get DeAndre Washington, Nelson Agholor, and Darrell Henderson along with him.
Again, maybe it’s me misunderstanding and not everyone else with this take, but it’s a placeholder. Pick one kicker. Get your draft slot. Nothing about drafting multiple kickers.

It’s the exact same as other leagues I’ve seen where you draft your linear draft slot (1.01, 2.01 etc). It’s still multiple rookies per. Maybe should say again, this isn’t something I’d pick, I jus don’t see it as some grandly stupid/unfair divergence is all.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

repkllrs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby repkllrs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:26 pm

4th round if less than 4 kickers have already been drafted, otherwise wait until the end.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Abe Lincoln

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:33 pm

honcho55 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Again, maybe it’s me misunderstanding and not everyone else with this take, but it’s a placeholder. Pick one kicker. Get your draft slot. Nothing about drafting multiple kickers.

It’s the exact same as other leagues I’ve seen where you draft your linear draft slot (1.01, 2.01 etc). It’s still multiple rookies per. Maybe should say again, this isn’t something I’d pick, I jus don’t see it as some grandly stupid/unfair divergence is all.
I suppose, but then why have kickers? The idea is a bad one, regardless, IMO. Single pick slots only, and you can pick as many or as little as you want. You shouldn't be required, or limited to 4 rookie picks in a startup. It really limits people.

Mtt33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Mtt33 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:36 pm

honcho55 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Agreed, people are really misunderstanding this. I don’t love it but it’s not as bad as people are saying.
You can only draft one “kicker” which determines your draft slot. I wouldn’t draft it as others are saying as slotting in the 1.1 into your ranks and taking your kicker there because you can just take a guy you like almost as much, wait until end of draft and still end up with 1.12 and 2.1 instead. Tough to say how much I’d drop the 1.1 in my ranks in these rules though. I may just wait until the end if the picks start going early.

I also don’t agree that snake is so bad for rookie draft startup year if you are drafting the picks this way. Subsequent years obviously can’t snake rookie drafts but startup I don’t see why not.

Riverad98
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Riverad98 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 am

I’m not a fan of it but I was out voted. It really isn’t that bad, though. You can only take one kicker so everyone will have 4 rookie picks. Kickers are dropped after the draft. Since it is a start up, the snake method makes sense. In every other start up I have been in, the initial rookie draft has been a snake draft and then we switched it in year two. I’m not interested in taking a rookie QB so I’m definitely not taking the first kicker. I don’t know if there will be a run on kickers once the first one goes. I’m okay with taking a late pick, if I have to, so I won’t chase it but if I get the chance to get a top seven pick where I can take a top RB or WR, then I’ll definitely do that.

The crazy thing is that teams are trading rookie draft picks without knowing what pick they have. We are in round 3 and no one has taken a kicker yet.

Tripwired
Captain
Captain

Postby Tripwired » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:55 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 am This is a terribly dumb way to assign rookie picks, but if you can't get it changed before the draft begins, I'd basically draft your kicker wherever you value the rookie 1.01, so like late 2nd / early 3rd round of the startup?
This is the most logical way to deal with this situation. If you value Jeudy, Taylor, Swift, or etc in the late 2nd or early 3rd round in startup and that's the range of players you're wanting to pick from then you'll likely have to take the kicker/draft pick slot at that point. Of course, this could be interesting because I could think of at least one boner in my leagues that would reach way early just to secure the top pick. That's going to push value down the board for everyone just like when someone takes a QB way early in a redraft 1qb league. I just laugh and take the value they left behind. This is slightly different since it's equating to a Jeudy, Taylor, Swift or etc. It really depends on how much you like specific rookies, and how bad you want to lock in that rookie pick. It's weird, but you'll have to figure it out as you go. I predict small runs will occur in specific pockets of the draft.
Do you know the snake draft order and what pick you have?
10 team Dynasty league with 6pts for all TDs. 
QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex (WRT), TE, K, & DST
League established: 2010
League champ: 2013, 2014, 2015(runner-up), 2016, 2017(runner-up), 2018, 2021
QB- Burrow, Lawrence, Lance
RB- Kamara, Swift, Javonte, Saquon, JK, Akers, E. Mitchell, Penny
WR- Jefferson, Chase, DK, Tee, Diontae, Pittman, Bateman, Rondale
TE- Pitts, Knox, Freiermuth
DST - Chi

10 team PPR Dynasty with 6pts for all TDs. 
QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex (WRT), TE, K, & DST
League established: 2019
QB- Wilson, Lawrence, Lance
RB- Taylor, Swift, CEH, E. Mitchell, Sermon, AJ Dillon, Stevenson, Penny, Patterson
WR- Jefferson, Chase, DJM, Diontae, OBJ, Palmer, Marshall, Rondale
TE- Hockenson, Irv Smith, Kmet, Trautman
Dst - TB, Mia

Riverad98
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Riverad98 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 pm

The first kicker was just taken at the 4.5 spot. I pick again at 4.11 and 5.2. It will be interesting to see if it starts a run or if other teams wait. The guy who got the 1.01 Rookie pick had actually traded his 2nd and 3rd round rookie picks already so that ended up being the 2.12 and 3.1 rookie picks that he traded.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Riverad98 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 pm The first kicker was just taken at the 4.5 spot. I pick again at 4.11 and 5.2. It will be interesting to see if it starts a run or if other teams wait. The guy who got the 1.01 Rookie pick had actually traded his 2nd and 3rd round rookie picks already so that ended up being the 2.12 and 3.1 rookie picks that he traded.
I think to get the 1.02 at the end of the 4th in a SF is good value. You will get your shot at the top non QB, which normally would be gone in round 2 of 1 QB startups.

Riverad98
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Riverad98 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 pm

The first two rookie picks have been taken, with QBs like Rodgers and Wentz still on the board.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Wentz. How is he still there in a SF? He's a steal right now, late 4th or early 5th you're in? No brainer for me.