Thoughts on the Long Term Value of Running QB's

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Thoughts on the Long Term Value of Running QB's

Postby The.Big.Spank » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:03 am

Showing my age here when I ask this question, but....

Fifty years of watching football, my general observation of running quarterbacks is that after about the 3rd or 4th year in the pros they suck.

For every Randall Cunningham, there is 5 Vince Young's or Johnny Manzels. The running qb's that have long productive careers are the ones that abandon the run and become more of a pocker or scrambler while looking down field qb.

Mcnabb, Wilson, Steve Young, etc, were all guys that came in as dual threats, but after their rookie or second year, cut way back on running the football and became much better quarterbacks.

Running QB's tend to get hit, a lot, and that takes their legs away and just about any activity in any sport is wildly dependent on your wheels, so you end up with guys that did not develop their passing skills, now your legs have taken the pounding of a RB and you moment in the sun is gone because they did not adjust their game.

I bring this up of course because running qb's are all the rage right now, but I cannot help but feel selling the farm for Lamar Jackson is a big over reaction to this season.

Your thoughts?
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st

Team 3 SF, TEP, Start 11 ppr
QB: AR, Watson, Young, Levis
RB: ETN, Walker, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, Herbert, Warren, Kelley
WR: G. Wilson, Higgins, Godwin, Kirk, Bateman, Collins, Doubs, Chark, Shaheed,
TE: Schultz, I Smith, Bellinger, Parham, Fant, Likely, Granson,

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Thoughts on the Long Term Value of Running QB's

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:10 am

Time will tell. Jackson took a few hits last year, but for the most part was smart when running the football. His confidence could continue to grow and hopefully that does not lead to poor decisions on taking a lot of big hits. Jackson looks pretty special with his pure athletic ability and I think his passing will continue to develop. If he changes his game, not sure he would be nearly as effective. His passing his improved dramatically, but he could still make another jump there. If you can get Jackson at a price you can live with, I would 100% jump all over it. As you mentioned though, I would not sell the farm to add him. Jackson will likely never have this type of season again. Not saying he will not be a top 5 QB which is huge, but this is not sustainable. Mahomes injuries played a big part in his season, but he was nowhere near the QB he was in his previous season. Historic seasons do not come every year.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 am

This has always been my stance and I've pointed to history to base a lot of my decisions when it comes to player eval, longevity, etc. Its like paying a RB big money on a 2nd deal and thinking your guy is the exception to the norm. Spoiler alert: he probably isnt. Fandom by definition isn't rational. So you're going to get a lot of "this guy is different, havent seen anything quite like this" etc.

I would sell Lamar to the highest bidder this offseason. If you're logical you realize this will most likely be his best year in FF. Buying low and selling high is how you dominate your league.

The.Big.Spank
Legend
Legend

Postby The.Big.Spank » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:32 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:15 am This has always been my stance and I've pointed to history to base a lot of my decisions when it comes to player eval, longevity, etc. Its like paying a RB big money on a 2nd deal and thinking your guy is the exception to the norm. Spoiler alert: he probably isnt. Fandom by definition isn't rational. So you're going to get a lot of "this guy is different, havent seen anything quite like this" etc.

I would sell Lamar to the highest bidder this offseason. If you're logical you realize this will most likely be his best year in FF. Buying low and selling high is how you dominate your league.
YES, thank you. I also think defenses will catch up. Martindale put in a system unlike any other in the NFL. I can see defenses adjusting next year, and like you said, still a QB you want, but this year was over the top.
Team 1: 16 Team
QB's: Fields, Wentz,
RB: D. Harris, D. Montgomery, Kendre M.
WR: Chase, AJ Brown, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Waller, J. Woods, Dulich, Mayer

Team 2: 12 Team SF 1ppr, Start 10
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Watson
RB: Hall, Walker, Javonte, Pacheco, K Mitchell, Dobbins
WR: Godwin, JSN, Pittman, Pickens, Toney, DP Jones, S Moore
TE: Andrews, Fant, Likely
(2024) 1.03, 2.03, 3.03
(2025) Top 3 1st, my 1st