Rodgers SF trade. Did I screw up?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Re: Rodgers SF trade. Did I screw up?

Postby FantasyFoosball » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Wolfepack28 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am
It sounds like you view Rodgers around 3 first round picks then, correct? Where does that put Barkley and Mahomes? 6 first round picks?

I think we agree that Metcalf is a mid first value considering he’s done nothing to drop his value from where he was drafted.

I think we’re discounting Herndon altogether here in a TE premium league at 2 points per reception. With last year’s performance as a rookie, his value could rise to a late 1st value especially in this format with a couple good weeks once he hits the field.

Looking back, did I sell low? Absolutely. But I don’t see anyone paying 3 1st’s for Rodgers considering his age and the mixed feelings on him across the board. I mean, there’s arguments that Metcalf is worth more than a 1st at this point.

The players outside of Metcalf may not be sexy but I believe that I could recoup the same value selling each of these players individually in terms of picks as one would get for Rodgers. Or at least somewhat close.

I appreciate the feedback. I definitely should have shopped him a little more but it’ll be fun to revisit here in 6 weeks and see what it looks like
So you are making a classic mistake here. I'm guessing you are new to SF? First league? QB's have a much higher value. I'd take Mahomes over Barkley easily in a SF league, as most would.

Like I said, good luck, hope it works out.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah, you got fleeced
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:16 am

I don't think it is as far off as some have indicated, but I do agree that at face value this looks to have been selling short. You need each of these 'potential' based players to become starters for you and give you the better overall team. Metcalf has had a solid start and thankfully has Wilson to help drive his performance. Hopefully he becomes a WR2 for you. Herndon needs to be a TE1, which in 2PPC could give a positional advantage. Lastly, elite DE's can be difficult to acquire and score heavily, so you either need to get lucky (while potentially investing solid pick value) or pony up heavily for the already elite options (which most may not want to move, especially for aged veterans).

This is a long-term investment move, but could make you a better overall team sooner than later. Rodgers should have some solid low QB1 seasons left in him and QBs will always be valued highly, but it sounds like the unique scoring of your league could be overlooked in terms of overall player value and team impact. TE and DE both seem like they would be valued higher than some are taking into account...but you really took on all of the risk that they hit that mark. Perhaps you had to take the risk to get the breadth of upside options though. Have to wait and see on this one IMO.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:23 am

Samhain34
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Samhain34 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:20 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:16 am I don't think it is as far off as some have indicated, but I do agree that at face value this looks to have been selling short. You need each of these 'potential' based players to become starters for you and give you the better overall team. Metcalf has had a solid start and thankfully has Wilson to help drive his performance. Hopefully he becomes a WR2 for you. Herndon needs to be a TE1, which in 2PPC could give a positional advantage. Lastly, elite DE's can be difficult to acquire and score heavily, so you either need to get lucky (while potentially investing solid pick value) or pony up heavily for the already elite options (which most may not want to move, especially for aged veterans).

This is a long-term investment move, but could make you a better overall team sooner than later. Rodgers should have some solid low QB1 seasons left in him and QBs will always be valued highly, but it sounds like the unique scoring of your league could be overlooked in terms of overall player value and team impact. TE and DE both seem like they would be valued higher than some are taking into account...but you really took on all of the risk that they hit that mark. Perhaps you had to take the risk to get the breadth of upside options though. Have to wait and see on this one IMO.
I think this is the best take. Yeah, you undersold, but people are acting like this is end of days bad, and it's not. Do you need some luck here? Yes, but it's not like you shipped out Mahomes. Also, this depends quite a bit on your roster. Are you just loaded at QB? If yes, then that improves things for you. If you're left with Cousins and Trubisky, well... it's over. I'd like to see what your roster looks like before condemning you to the gallows for this move.