Latavius Murray or Matt Breida/Jerick McKinnon?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
surgebird2
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Latavius Murray or Matt Breida/Jerick McKinnon?

Postby surgebird2 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 am

pmart33 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:47 am
Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm Is Murray's situation really better than Breida's though? We know for a fact he's going to play second fiddle to Kamara. He'll get about 5-7 carries per game and maybe some goal-line work, but his ceiling is pretty capped. At worst, Breida is in a timeshare with Coleman and gets the same amount of carries (if not more) as Murray. But instead of goal-line work, catches a few passes per game making him more consistent then relying on TDs. That's probably his floor, with a chance of outplaying Coleman and being the main guy in a timeshare. I don't know, neither guy really excites me, but I like Breida's situation better.
Mark Ingram touched the ball 18 times per game in 2017 and 13 times per game in 2018. The Saints have always limited Kamara's work load some to keep him fresh throughout the year. By all accounts, Murray is filling into the Ingram role, so there's no reason he can't have stand alone value this season the way Ingram had the last 2 years. And if Kamara were to ever go down, Murray would become a top 10 back the remainder of the season. If you're a contender this year I love Murray.
x2 Murray has some good upside this year, but people keep blowing him off saying he won't get work. What history do we have to support the idea that Kamara is the only one who will get a sustainable workload? Give me Murray easily if you're a contender, and even if you're not, it'd still be a toss up for me.
Team 1
12 Team PPR TEP Superflex, 30 Man Roster (No 2024 Picks)
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE Flex, 1 Superflex
QB: Herbert, Hurts, Purdy, Murray, O'Connell, Lock, Wentz, Mullens (IR)
RB: Taylor, Gibbs, Jav. Williams, Spears, R. Dowdle, K. Mitchell, Rivers (IR), Brooks (IR)
WR: Diggs, Aiyuk, D. Smith, M. Brown, Jam. Williams, D. Douglas, E. Moore, Mims, Toney, Tillman, Tucker
TE: Pitts, Ferguson, Njoku, Musgrave, Bellinger

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am

Goddard wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm Is Murray's situation really better than Breida's though? We know for a fact he's going to play second fiddle to Kamara. He'll get about 5-7 carries per game and maybe some goal-line work, but his ceiling is pretty capped. At worst, Breida is in a timeshare with Coleman and gets the same amount of carries (if not more) as Murray. But instead of goal-line work, catches a few passes per game making him more consistent then relying on TDs. That's probably his floor, with a chance of outplaying Coleman and being the main guy in a timeshare. I don't know, neither guy really excites me, but I like Breida's situation better.
Mark Ingram touched the ball 18 times per game in 2017 and 13 times per game in 2018. The Saints have always limited Kamara's work load some to keep him fresh throughout the year. By all accounts, Murray is filling into the Ingram role, so there's no reason he can't have stand alone value this season the way Ingram had the last 2 years. And if Kamara were to ever go down, Murray would become a top 10 back the remainder of the season. If you're a contender this year I love Murray.
Ingram was actually a talented RB and has had some good years in the past. Murray isn't on the same level as him and wouldn't expect him to duplicate Ingram's production. Yes, if Kamara goes down, Murray's value goes up some, but he had that similar opportunity a couple of years ago when Cook went down and didn't really impress much. Same can be said if Coleman gets hurt for Breida. Breida was a very good RB last year and would go back to providing similar numbers.

EAGLES
MVP
MVP

Postby EAGLES » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am

I like both players. Breida played through injuries and still put up good numbers. I’d probably lean Murray due to the team he’s tied to.

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:49 am

I'd MUCH rather have Breida.
The stats don't lie.
The tape doesn't lie.
The analytics don't lie.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

pmart33
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pmart33 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am

Goddard wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am
Ingram was actually a talented RB and has had some good years in the past. Murray isn't on the same level as him and wouldn't expect him to duplicate Ingram's production. Yes, if Kamara goes down, Murray's value goes up some, but he had that similar opportunity a couple of years ago when Cook went down and didn't really impress much. Same can be said if Coleman gets hurt for Breida. Breida was a very good RB last year and would go back to providing similar numbers.
I think our disconnect here is how we feel about Murray vs. Ingram. I'll say Ingram is the better of the 2 players in a vacuum, but he's also had the benefit of playing in the Saints offense (never worst than top 10 in PPG) his entire career. Murray is capable player, and I don't see a reason why he can't take on a similar amount of touches to what Ingram has seen the past 2 years.
For Podcasts, Blogs and more please visit:
https://www.sundaysurefire.com/

Team 1
12 Team .5 PPR
Starters 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex-WR/RB/TE

QB Hurts Love Cousins
RB CMC Stevenson Ekeler Mostert Spiller
WR Hill Puka Aiyuk Diggs
TE Kelce

Team 2
12 Team PPR SF TE Prem
Starters 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex-WR/RB/TE