Break that tie!

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Break that tie!

Postby knobhoosier » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Okay guys and gals...need some more advice please. We have a 10 member league who has voted on which draft style ( Serpentine or Straight) to use for this years draft on our league poll. We are tied at 50/50 with all 10 members voting. What's the best method for breaking this tie of this vote? Can't say coin flip unless we can witness it and that's hard to do as we have 1 member in China, and the rest of us scattered all around the states of Indiana and Kentucky. There is an online coin flip program, but no way of having everyone witness it as it happens. I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
10 Team .5pt PPR, Dynasty, Keeper Rookie Draft Only IDP League. League Est. 2014.
QB J. Allen, J. Garoppolo , D. Mills
RB: C. McCaffery, A. Kamara, J. Taylor, T. Allgeier, J.Williams, R. White, A.Jones, R. Stevenson
WR:C. Kupp, C. Sutton, M.Pittman, G. Davis, S.Moore,
TE: D. Knox, J. Woods, P. Hendershot
K: Y.Koo , C.York
DE: B. Burns, K.Paye
LB: Q.Walker, Z. Collins, T. Anderson
DB: M. Jones, K. Kohou, K. Hamilton, A. Winfield,

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Break that tie!

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Tough call here. Could you use a random number generator online and assign each option a range of numbers and whichever range the generator lands in, that option wins?

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 pm

I like it, but how do we convince each member that the generator was only ran 1 time? 50% of the owners are not gonna just trust the outcome.
10 Team .5pt PPR, Dynasty, Keeper Rookie Draft Only IDP League. League Est. 2014.
RB: C. McCaffery, A. Kamara, J. Taylor, T. Allgeier, J.Williams, R. White, A.Jones, R. Stevenson

srlarson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby srlarson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 pm

do an auction...only way to draft anyways!!
Empire 10 team 30man rosters QB, 2rb, 3Wr, TE, 2F, K (.5ppr RB's, ppr WR/TE)
redraft coming

Empire 12 team SF 30man rosters - QB, 2rb, 2wr, te, sf, Rb/Wr/Te flex, 2Rb/Wr Flex
(rb .5ppr, wr 1ppr, TE 1.5ppr) -
QB - Prescott, Cousins, M Jones, C. Rush
RB - JT, Chubb, J Cook, Hunt, Penny, Patterson, Foreman, Davis-Price, Henderson, Patterson
WR - Diggs, M Thomas, Gallup, K Phillips, Goodwin, Hollins, C Moore, raymond, reynolds, D robinson, J Watson
TE - Ertz, Brate, McBride, Akins, Gray

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Is this for a rookie-only draft or a startup?
Team 1: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '16 & '17 3rd, '20 2nd Place
REBUILD STARTED 2019
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex
Kyler,Stafford,Herbert
Zeke,Sanders,Swift,Moss,Robinson,Mattison,Gio
Cooper,Juju,AJB,Reagor,Ruggs,Mims,Kirk,Bateman,Moore
Kelce,Henry
2022: 2,3,4

Team 2: 12-Team 0.5 PPR '17 & '20 2nd Place
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex
Rodgers,Stafford
Zeke,Conner,Robinson,Dillon,CEvans,Mattison,Edmonds,Davis
Hopkins,Thomas,Woods,Cooks,Toney,MWilliams,
Kittle,Henry,Freier
2022:1,1,2,3,4

Team 3: 14-Team SF,PPR,0.25/rush '18 3rd Place, 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR TE Flex Flex Flex SFlex
Cousins,Kyler,Carr,Trask
Jacobs,Gibson,Robinson,LMurray,Ingram,Moss,Gio,SScott
Evans,Nuk,DJM,Boyd,Davis
Fant,Hooper,Gronk
2022:2,4
2023:1,1,2,3,4

Team 4: 12-TeamSF,0.5PPR,TE1PPR 2020 Champ :dance:
QB RB RB WR WR WR TE FLEX FLEX SFlex
Allen,Tanny,Cam,MacJones
Taylor,Akers,Montgomery,Gibson,Robinson,Harris,McKissic,SScott
DKM,Evans,Juju,Cooks,MWilliams,Trequan
Engram,Hurst,Gronk,Long

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:10 pm

knobhoosier wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 pm I like it, but how do we convince each member that the generator was only ran 1 time? 50% of the owners are not gonna just trust the outcome.
I think everyone can watch the generator live online with some of the sites. You can share the "room" code and run it at a specific time.

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:40 am

snaps06 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 pm Is this for a rookie-only draft or a startup?
Rookie Only Draft

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:41 am

Gator Sens wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:10 pm
knobhoosier wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 pm I like it, but how do we convince each member that the generator was only ran 1 time? 50% of the owners are not gonna just trust the outcome.
I think everyone can watch the generator live online with some of the sites. You can share the "room" code and run it at a specific time.
Thanks Gator...that will be the plan then.

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am

knobhoosier wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:40 am
snaps06 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 pm Is this for a rookie-only draft or a startup?
Rookie Only Draft
I'd say just explain that serpentine drafts should never be used in rookie only drafts. The purpose of a rookie draft is to hopefully give the bad teams the best chance to improve their roster, and while the first pick is nice, that team should not have to wait until pick 20 for their second choice. This shouldn't really even be a debate, and I can't believe the vote is actually tied. Logically, a straight draft is the only way to do a rookie draft, especially if picks have already been traded or first round slots assigned. My guess is that the teams that finished in the top half of last season (or hold lower first round draft slots) voted for it to be serpentine, and the teams that finished in the bottom half voted for it to be straight. It sounds like a ploy by better teams to give themselves a better shot of staying dominant.

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm

snaps06 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am
Rookie Only Draft
I'd say just explain that serpentine drafts should never be used in rookie only drafts. The purpose of a rookie draft is to hopefully give the bad teams the best chance to improve their roster, and while the first pick is nice, that team should not have to wait until pick 20 for their second choice. This shouldn't really even be a debate, and I can't believe the vote is actually tied. Logically, a straight draft is the only way to do a rookie draft, especially if picks have already been traded or first round slots assigned. My guess is that the teams that finished in the top half of last season (or hold lower first round draft slots) voted for it to be serpentine, and the teams that finished in the bottom half voted for it to be straight. It sounds like a ploy by better teams to give themselves a better shot of staying dominant.
I appreciate the opinion. However, I have to disagree. Here's why. This league was established in 2014 as a Rookie Only Dynasty League. Meaning that only Rookies can be drafted and kept year after year. You can keep as many as you want at the end of the season and replenish next draft with Rookies only again and dropping the duds that didn't work out. We started the league with the Serpentine Draft since we were all starting with empty rosters. Kept the Serpentine for 1 more year. Then we started to see separation of teams in year 3 so we switched over to the Straight Draft to make an attempt at giving the weaker teams an added bonus in the draft. So, we have now done 2016,17 and 18 in the straight draft. Those weaker teams have loaded up on the top picks for 3 years in a row. One thing we know for sure is we will always have a top 5 and a bottom 5 no matter how we draft. But...the idea is to have as many as teams as possible competing for a legitimate shot at the Championship. This past season we had 8 out of 10 teams that had a legitimate shot at playing for the Championship. We have great parity in the league now. This is the reason we felt it needed to be put up to a vote. One idea that's come up since I first posted this topic is to alternate every other year between Serpentine and Straight That may allow us to continue our league parity. Which to me sounds like a fair compromise.

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:40 pm

knobhoosier wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Rookie Only Draft
I appreciate the opinion. However, I have to disagree. Here's why. This league was established in 2014 as a Rookie Only Dynasty League. Meaning that only Rookies can be drafted and kept year after year. You can keep as many as you want at the end of the season and replenish next draft with Rookies only again and dropping the duds that didn't work out. We started the league with the Serpentine Draft since we were all starting with empty rosters. Kept the Serpentine for 1 more year. Then we started to see separation of teams in year 3 so we switched over to the Straight Draft to make an attempt at giving the weaker teams an added bonus in the draft. So, we have now done 2016,17 and 18 in the straight draft. Those weaker teams have loaded up on the top picks for 3 years in a row. One thing we know for sure is we will always have a top 5 and a bottom 5 no matter how we draft. But...the idea is to have as many as teams as possible competing for a legitimate shot at the Championship. This past season we had 8 out of 10 teams that had a legitimate shot at playing for the Championship. We have great parity in the league now. This is the reason we felt it needed to be put up to a vote. One idea that's come up since I first posted this topic is to alternate every other year between Serpentine and Straight That may allow us to continue our league parity. Which to me sounds like a fair compromise.
Gotcha. I would definitely make sure to post any important league details in the future when asking a question, like the fact that it is a rookie-only dynasty league. Now that I think of it, my guess is you were the one asking for advice on rookie kickers in another post.

When I first read the question, my biggest question was "Why on Earth would you have a serpentine rookie draft?" Haha. Now it makes much more sense.

I think the idea of alternating each year makes a lot of sense, that way if you are allowed to trade future picks, you have a better idea of where it should end up (e.g. a 2nd round pick from a good team is better than a 2nd from a bad team).

Gronk
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Gronk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Rookie Only Draft
Snaps is right. If all you are drafting is rookies then serpentine favors the better teams. If you want the worst teams to get the best picks every year then a straight draft is the ONLY option.

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:51 pm

snaps06 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Gotcha. I would definitely make sure to post any important league details in the future when asking a question, like the fact that it is a rookie-only dynasty league. Now that I think of it, my guess is you were the one asking for advice on rookie kickers in another post.

When I first read the question, my biggest question was "Why on Earth would you have a serpentine rookie draft?" Haha. Now it makes much more sense.

I think the idea of alternating each year makes a lot of sense, that way if you are allowed to trade future picks, you have a better idea of where it should end up (e.g. a 2nd round pick from a good team is better than a 2nd from a bad team).
I guess that's what I get for assuming that people actually read your signature lines. haha...I'm guilty of that myself!

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 pm

knobhoosier wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:51 pm

I guess that's what I get for assuming that people actually read your signature lines. haha...I'm guilty of that myself!
Haha yeah, and honestly, I read the signature, but I think the basic settings of the league (literally only rookies can be drafted, and there are no waivers during the season) kind of throws everyone off. I'd never heard of a league like that until this forum.

Kind of off-topic question: Are there any solid players not owned? An example I can think of would be Tyler Boyd, who was atrocious for two years then hit big last year. I could see him getting cut a couple years ago and being stuck in "unowned oblivion" haha.

knobhoosier
Rookie
Rookie

Postby knobhoosier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:27 pm

snaps06 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:03 pm
knobhoosier wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Haha yeah, and honestly, I read the signature, but I think the basic settings of the league (literally only rookies can be drafted, and there are no waivers during the season) kind of throws everyone off. I'd never heard of a league like that until this forum.

Kind of off-topic question: Are there any solid players not owned? An example I can think of would be Tyler Boyd, who was atrocious for two years then hit big last year. I could see him getting cut a couple years ago and being stuck in "unowned oblivion" haha.
Yes, there's always a miss or two that slips by all of us. I've been doing these type leagues for over 25 years now and probably the most famous one was Tom Brady. He went undrafted in our league and then we had to sit and watch him turn into the Best QB of all-time! Painful.