How to value an extra bench spot

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
mn48
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

How to value an extra bench spot

Postby mn48 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am

I was approached today with an interesting offer which I am struggling to place a value on. In our league you can carry 14 players over from the previous year, with the rest of the team entering the FA pool for a combined rookie/FA draft in August. A guy with a super weak bench has offered me one bench spot on his team. Basically a taxi squad spot. I am able to swap players in the spot whenever I want and he is not allowed to do anything with the player (start/drop/trade/etc). As you can see in team in sig I have some pretty strong depth at WR and this allows me to keep an extra guy safe in the draft as well as an extra bench spot throughout the season. He is looking for picks in exchange. What seems to be a fair price to pay for this, if any?
Team #1
12 Team 0.5 PPR
:dance: 2018 CHAMPS :dance:

QB: Wilson, Rodgers
RB: CMC, Foreman, D. Harris, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Godwin, ARSB, Diontae, Sutton, Pickens, Pierce
TE: Andrews, Freiermuth, Chig
2023: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th
2024: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th

Team #2
12 Team 0.5 PPR

QB: Herbert, Carr
RB: Saquon, CMC, Gibson, Swift, Pollard, Conner, Penny
WR: Lamb, DJ Moore, Aiyuk, Cooper, Cooks, Gallup, Bateman, Lockett, Campbell
TE: Hockenson

2023: 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: How to value an extra bench spot

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am

As a commissioner, I would not allow a deal like this to take place. Simply bending the rules. Pretty interesting concept by the other owner. As far as the value, I would not even know what to place on it. Very unique idea here.
Last edited by Gator Sens on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

This is 100% collusion, and your commissioner should not and likely will not allow such an agreement.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

mn48
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mn48 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

Gator Sens wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am As a commissioner, I'm not sure I would allow a deal like this to take place. Simply bending the rules. Pretty interesting concept by the other owner. As far as the value, I would not even know what to place on it. Very unique idea here.
Good thing the guy who proposed it is the commissioner, so probably good on that front. League is very open to unique clauses in trades (many pick swaps, a few circumstances where guys are not allowed to start a certain player against the team who he was traded from as a part of the deal, etc.). I'm thinking nothing more than a 2020 3rd personally, I figure its basically the value of the 15th player who would become the guy in spot, probably MVS on my squad.
Team #1
12 Team 0.5 PPR

Team #2
12 Team 0.5 PPR

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

mn48 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am
Gator Sens wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am As a commissioner, I'm not sure I would allow a deal like this to take place. Simply bending the rules. Pretty interesting concept by the other owner. As far as the value, I would not even know what to place on it. Very unique idea here.
Good thing the guy who proposed it is the commissioner, so probably good on that front. League is very open to unique clauses in trades (many pick swaps, a few circumstances where guys are not allowed to start a certain player against the team who he was traded from as a part of the deal, etc.). I'm thinking nothing more than a 2020 3rd personally, I figure its basically the value of the 15th player who would become the guy in spot, probably MVS on my squad.
Based on that, I think a 2020 3rd is a good place to start and see what the other owner is thinking.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 am

mn48 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am
All of what you said seems super shady, and I wouldn't be comfortable with those kinds of rules. That said, if this is indeed kosher with you and the rest of your league, I'd happily pay a 3rd for an "extra roster spot".
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Bubba90
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Bubba90 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am

I agree with others, definitely shady. It seems the commish is trying to take advantage of his own weak bench to gain picks. So if your player sits on his bench, what happens when he needs that spot or you want the player back to use? If I were apart of this league I’d be against it, and if allowed probably send in my resignation.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 am

This sounds very shady as well, but if your league is fine with it, then go for it. The 15th spot would probably go to one of Hines, MVS, or Marvin Jones. If you think those guys are worth a 3rd, then it's fair. I'm curious though, since this is somewhat of a keeper league with so many free agents going back into the draft, is there a chance that you get a pretty good player in the 3rd when you combine rookies and other players that are dropped from other teams? I would think a 3rd in your league is worth a little more than your regular 3rd round rookie pick.

mn48
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mn48 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Bubba90 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 am I agree with others, definitely shady. It seems the commish is trying to take advantage of his own weak bench to gain picks. So if your player sits on his bench, what happens when he needs that spot or you want the player back to use? If I were apart of this league I’d be against it, and if allowed probably send in my resignation.
It’s my understanding that he will just play the season down a bench spot, and whenever i need the player I will trade for him in exchange for whoever I want to put in the spot to replace him. Have been talking with him and won’t be doing it unless a league-wide vote is held regarding its validity.
Team #1
12 Team 0.5 PPR

Team #2
12 Team 0.5 PPR

mn48
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mn48 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Goddard wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 am This sounds very shady as well, but if your league is fine with it, then go for it. The 15th spot would probably go to one of Hines, MVS, or Marvin Jones. If you think those guys are worth a 3rd, then it's fair. I'm curious though, since this is somewhat of a keeper league with so many free agents going back into the draft, is there a chance that you get a pretty good player in the 3rd when you combine rookies and other players that are dropped from other teams? I would think a 3rd in your league is worth a little more than your regular 3rd round rookie pick.
Yeah this is only our second season so we have not had a draft yet, and so pick value is still a slight question mark. I would agree that pick values are a little higher. A 2020 3rd is just about where I would value a guy like Hines, and probably a little lower than MVS and Jones. Someone else offered him a 2020 2nd for it though which is too high for my liking.
Team #1
12 Team 0.5 PPR

Team #2
12 Team 0.5 PPR

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Unless this sort of trade is specifically permitted in the league bylaws this would be collusion.