D. Thomas or R. Williams

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

D. Thomas or R. Williams

Postby joeday » Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 am

I am sitting at 1.3 (in league 3) and it is looking more and more like 1.1 will be Ingram and, after a few deals were made, looks like 1.2 will be Green. As you can see below I am weak at RB and should probably take Daniel Thomas or Ryan Williams. I am pretty torn on this one because while I think Williams in the better talent, I think Thomas gets more opportunity. The other issue with Williams is there is no way I can trade for Beanie...the owner DOES NOT trade. Which one do I take? Or do I try and move out of the pick or maybe take Julio which is not as big of a need.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: D. Thomas or R. Williams

Postby tstafford » Mon May 23, 2011 5:58 am

Welcome to the board. Side note: This belongs in the "Team Advice" forum.

I'd strongly advise to either go BPA (Julio) or trade out of the pick. Don't let Julio fall to the 1.04 guy. Make him pay to get up to the 1.03. Or take Julio and worry about your RB situation via trade.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon May 23, 2011 6:04 am

tstafford wrote:Welcome to the board. Side note: This belongs in the "Team Advice" forum.

I'd strongly advise to either go BPA (Julio) or trade out of the pick. Don't let Julio fall to the 1.04 guy. Make him pay to get up to the 1.03. Or take Julio and worry about your RB situation via trade.
Since I am new to the board, thanks for the advice on where I should be posting things...since this is a dynasty team question why wouldn't it go here? What is the definition of each so I do not make the same mistake again. lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 am

joeday wrote:
tstafford wrote:Welcome to the board. Side note: This belongs in the "Team Advice" forum.

Since I am new to the board, thanks for the advice on where I should be posting things...since this is a dynasty team question why wouldn't it go here? What is the definition of each so I do not make the same mistake again. lol
Sorry, I know it's confusing and I didn't mean to be rude (hope I wasn't).

Team Advice - any question that pertains to your team specifically. Like "I have the 1.03, what should I do with it?"

Dynasty League Discussion - any question of a general nature. Like "What do you think the prospects are for Sidney Rice in 2011?"

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon May 23, 2011 6:12 am

tstafford wrote:
joeday wrote:

Sorry, I know it's confusing and I didn't mean to be rude (hope I wasn't).

Team Advice - any question that pertains to your team specifically. Like "I have the 1.03, what should I do with it?"

Dynasty League Discussion - any question of a general nature. Like "What do you think the prospects are for Sidney Rice in 2011?"
So if I would have phrased it "who will be a better long term prospect, Williams or Thomas" it would have been safe to post on this one? haha

and no, you werent rude...like I said, I'm new
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
TE – Trey McBride

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 am

bpa - regardless of need.

The best player available is clearly J.Jones, so trade back a spot or two if you can and the decision will be made for you. You'll get something to move back 2 spots and one of those RB's.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 am

Go BPA and take Julio Jones!

You have any other picks? regardless.. take Julio Jones!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 am

tstafford wrote:I'd strongly advise to either go BPA (Julio) or trade out of the pick. Don't let Julio fall to the 1.04 guy. Make him pay to get up to the 1.03. Or take Julio and worry about your RB situation via trade.
This would be my advice as well. Draft Julio and trade for RB help later or trade down from 1.03 and take Thomas or Williams.

As for who I like between the two RB's, Williams is higher on my board.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 am

As many have already said, it is usually wisest to take the best player available so you can avoid digging yourself a hole with a lack of talent on your team.

With that said, I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I personally don't think it's a shoe in that Julio is the best talent available after Ingram and Green go off the board. I've been putting my personal draft board together lately and have looked at Ryan Williams, Julio Jones and Daniel Thomas quite a bit since I own the 4th pick. I will say that right now I have Ryan Williams at 3, Julio at 4 and Daniel Thomas at 7 on my draft board.

Julio Jones is a talented WR. He is in the same mold as Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree as far as WR prospects go. And, I want to just say that both of those other WRs were commonly taken in the top 3 of their recent rookie drafts only to be passed up by WRs taken typically at least 6 or 7 picks later, if not more, as in the case of Dez compared to Mike Williams.

Daniel Thomas isn't talented enough to be even considered among the top 4 picks taken. And, I wouldn't take him before 7. Even that is a risky stretch for me because I think it's likely that Miami picks up a RB in free agency when that opens which could effectively force many Thomas owners to jump ship.

Stud RBs are rare and Ryan Williams possesses the skills to be a top 10 dynasty RB in the future. Julio Jones possesses the ability to be a top 10 dynasty WR. So, the question becomes, who is more likely to be worth more? I personally think it's more likely that Ryan Williams is worth more in two years. So, I'd draft him. Not only that, but he helps to shore up a need on your team. For me, that's a win/win and I'd take Ryan Williams.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 am

kris_kapsner wrote:As many have already said, it is usually wisest to take the best player available so you can avoid digging yourself a hole with a lack of talent on your team.

With that said, I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I personally don't think it's a shoe in that Julio is the best talent available after Ingram and Green go off the board. I've been putting my personal draft board together lately and have looked at Ryan Williams, Julio Jones and Daniel Thomas quite a bit since I own the 4th pick. I will say that right now I have Ryan Williams at 3, Julio at 4 and Daniel Thomas at 7 on my draft board.

Julio Jones is a talented WR. He is in the same mold as Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree as far as WR prospects go. And, I want to just say that both of those other WRs were commonly taken in the top 3 of their recent rookie drafts only to be passed up by WRs taken typically at least 6 or 7 picks later, if not more, as in the case of Dez compared to Mike Williams.

Daniel Thomas isn't talented enough to be even considered among the top 4 picks taken. And, I wouldn't take him before 7. Even that is a risky stretch for me because I think it's likely that Miami picks up a RB in free agency when that opens which could effectively force many Thomas owners to jump ship.

Stud RBs are rare and Ryan Williams possesses the skills to be a top 10 dynasty RB in the future. Julio Jones possesses the ability to be a top 10 dynasty WR. So, the question becomes, who is more likely to be worth more? I personally think it's more likely that Ryan Williams is worth more in two years. So, I'd draft him. Not only that, but he helps to shore up a need on your team. For me, that's a win/win and I'd take Ryan Williams.
Great analysis...and may have swayed me to be honest. I just hate having Ryan Williams and not Beanie...is Hightower someone I should roster for cheap?
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)

QB –
TE –

QB – Joe Burrow
TE – Trey McBride

tosnsprx
Captain
Captain

Postby tosnsprx » Mon May 23, 2011 8:14 am

kris_kapsner wrote:As many have already said, it is usually wisest to take the best player available so you can avoid digging yourself a hole with a lack of talent on your team.

I agree with this 100%. Theres no way I would take Thomas at 3, I'm not even concidering him with my 1.05 pick and I need backs aswell. I'd take Williams but first try to trade down like the other guys suggested
12 team non-ppr standard scoring(1qb,2rbs,2wrs,2rb/wrs,1te,1k,1D) 25 man roster
QB- WATSON, prescott,
RBs- ALVIN KAMARA, DAVID MONTGOMERY, K JOHNSON, rashaad penny, ronald jones, bo scott, p barber, darrell williams
WRs- JUJU, CHRIS GODWIN, christian kirk, courtland sutton, keke coutee, zach pascal
TEs- GEORGE KITTLE, ian thomas, mike gesicki, jace sternberger, dawson knox
K- d bailey
DST- STEELERS, chargers

2020 picks: 3RD,4TH

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 pm

I think you agressively try to trade back a spot or two for a RB...if no takers, you pick Jones & then make a trade later for a young RB.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

Biggcmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Biggcmo » Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 pm

In my eyes Julio Jones is the 3rd best player in this draft. WR may not be a big need for u, but i dont think i would let a guy like Jones slip past me at that position.
2010 Gridiron Dynasty Football Classic 3 Champ!!

Twitter: @Bossmancmo

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Roddy White is 30 yrs this year. In 3 years he will be 33 and on the decline in an explosive offense. Julio Jones will be in year 3 of his NFL career then and should take over the #1 WR on that team. Matt Ryan is 25 years old and approaching his prime years at QB. Take Jones and trade one of your WRs for a top 12 RB. Jones will have the longer career plus word is Beanie Wells is looking real good this off season. The drafting of Williams has lit a fire under his arse and he is a pretty good back. Williams is not guaranteed to beat him out.
12 team dynasty, Protect 13 players annually, plus 3 2yr psquad- Max 4RB, Max 5WR, Max 3QB, Max 2TE, Max 1K, Max 1Def, Max 1 Flex. Roster size 18 plus 3 IR & 3 PSquad-3 2yr Psquad(signed for 2 years)
QB-Justin Hebert, Jordan Love
Derek Carr
RB-Alvin Kamara, Javonte Williams, Bijan Robinson, Chuba Hubbard
WR- Mike Williams, D.K Metcalf, Tim Higgins, Terry McLaurin, Jayden Reed Michael Gallup
2yr PSquad Jameson Williams, Marvin Mims Jr. , John Metchie III
TE- George Kittle, Cole Kmet, Dalton Kincaid
2015 League Champions (finally)
2009 2nd place, 2010 2nd place, 2014 2nd place, 2018 2nd place, 2020 2nd place
2012 3rd place, 2019 3rd place
2023 rookie draft picks: 1.01; 2.01; 2.05; 2.08; 3.02; 3.10; 4.12; 5.01
Traded Aaron Rodgers and Khilil Herbert for Jameson Williams & pick 3.02 rookie draft
Traded 2.08, 3.02, 3.10, 2024 3rd round and 2025 3rd round for Javonte Williams

Richman
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Richman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

I screwed the whole quote thing up this time...

I personally like the advice of moving back, and if you can't, then draft Julio. You can keep him or use him as trade bait. With that, Julio is a little different from Crabtree and Dez, there is no Diva pedigree and expect him to work his but off to be great!
gangsta blue *League Champ*(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1K,1D) 12 Team/20 Player
QB:A Rodgers
WR:Fitz,Nicks,Maclin,Garcon,D.Rodgers
RB:Rice,McCoy,R Mathews,Stacy,Michaels,Hunter,J.Bell,K.Davis,Leshoure,M.James,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Ertz,A.Robinson

Blue Droogie(1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1D) 16 Team/20 Player
QB:P Manning,Luck,Mallett
WR:Nicks,D Thomas,Garcon,Thompkins
RB:Rice,Forte,Mathews,Vereen,Helu,K.Davis,L.Murray
TE:Cameron,Rudolph,A.Robinson