Juju for Hopkins

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
hoos89
Legend
Legend

Re: Juju for Hopkins

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 am

Kittenmittens wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:46 am
He's 30 right now, so 2 and 3 years ago he was 27 and 28.

If you walk too close to the edge of the value cliff you can get stuck with them, because everyone knows there is a value cliff. You can't expect your leaguemates to be shortsighted enough to pay full price for a 29 year old who they know is going to take an age-related value hit any second.
No. He will be 31 when next season starts. That is what matters.

Also, while it is true that trade value goes down around 29-30...actual dynasty value is production of fantasy points. If AB continues to produce at a high level well into his mid-30s then yes you may not be able to sell him for full value, but he would still be a productive fantasy asset with actual value to your team.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

DynastyDegenerate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DynastyDegenerate » Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 am
Kittenmittens wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:46 am
He's 30 right now, so 2 and 3 years ago he was 27 and 28.

If you walk too close to the edge of the value cliff you can get stuck with them, because everyone knows there is a value cliff. You can't expect your leaguemates to be shortsighted enough to pay full price for a 29 year old who they know is going to take an age-related value hit any second.
No. He will be 31 when next season starts. That is what matters.

Also, while it is true that trade value goes down around 29-30...actual dynasty value is production of fantasy points. If AB continues to produce at a high level well into his mid-30s then yes you may not be able to sell him for full value, but he would still be a productive fantasy asset with actual value to your team.
Dynasty trades are year round - but I get what you're saying. I don't like to count that way with arbitrary cutoffs - that would mean a player who is born on September 1st is considered a year younger than a player who is born on September 15th because of how old they are when the season begins.

I agree that actual dynasty value is production of fantasy points. I'm looking at it more in a points per the players expected lifespan of fantasy relevance. Juju is most likely going to score more points before he retires than Hopkins. The most likely scenario is that Juju will score 1.5x to 2x as many fantasy points as Hopkins from this point forward due to player age alone.

Staying away from the age cliff allows to you keep cycling in the next stud and never hit the age cliff. It's risky of course, but in my opinion less risk than expecting a player not to age (trade market value perception) or to continue to produce into their mid 30s (actual fantasy value).

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 pm

You don't really need to get into arbitrary cut-offs when it comes to a player born in July. AB will not play another game in the NFL as a 30 year old, so it makes no sense to value him as such when trading for him. Why do I care if he's 30 during OTAs?
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri May 24, 2019 4:29 pm

I actually would have a hard time giving up much of anything. If the two of them put up similar numbers to last year, Juju could be worth more than Hopkins by that point, or at the very least, equal. If Juju puts up those numbers without AB, and has back to back 2 years of elite production and is only 22 years old, he could easily, and probably should be the WR1 in all of dynasty. He'd be 4-5 younger than all of the other guys in his production range.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

DynastyDegenerate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DynastyDegenerate » Fri May 24, 2019 5:24 pm

hoos89 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 pm You don't really need to get into arbitrary cut-offs when it comes to a player born in July. AB will not play another game in the NFL as a 30 year old, so it makes no sense to value him as such when trading for him. Why do I care if he's 30 during OTAs?
Not to devolve into pure pedantary, but then how old is Juju? It's a lot easier to just use the players actual age...

Hopkins is 26 and will turn 27 in less than a month. Around this time next year he will be 28, which is when people in my leagues at least start not wanting to buy.

This is mostly about market perception. I wouldn't be that surprised if there was a difference in how the community values a 26.9 year old vs a 27.0 year old due to some people not checking the month. Even more for 27.9 vs 28.0. The younger they are, the less people are going to care about the fractional year. A test twitter poll would be interesting...

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Kittenmittens wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 pm I also prefer Juju by a wide margin.

Their expected production is pretty close, maybe Hopkins is 15 percent better.

I see Juju as having another 9 years of elite fantasy production. I see Hopkins with 3 or 4 more years, and about to lose value steadily as he ages. 15 percent more expected points doesn't make up for the longevity and value retention of Juju in my eyes.

Hopkins is about to go over the age cliff. Now is the time to sell. 2 years ago, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and AJ Green were 27 years old at the top of the rankings. Now they are 3rd or 4th round picks because they got a few years older.

In 2 years, Juju owners will laugh at a Hopkins offer.
I respect the time you put into this post, but I could not possibly disagree more. If you take away age, there isn’t a single statistic where JuJu outperforms Hopkins.

Hopkins is transcendent. He can succeed with any QB. He has some of the best separation in the league and his hands are magnets. These are skill sets that do not fade with age. Hopkins is a truly special WR. Not to take anything away from JuJu, but he has benefited from an offense that throws way more than the league average and having coverage directed to AB each play, which allowed him to be the big slot. We haven’t seen him as a true WR1 on his team yet. I think he’ll be very good, but I don’t believe we’ll ever see Hopkins numbers out of JuJu.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Sat May 25, 2019 8:25 am

blemly wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 pm
Kittenmittens wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 pm I also prefer Juju by a wide margin.

I see Juju as having another 9 years of elite fantasy production. I see Hopkins with 3 or 4 more years, and about to lose value steadily as he ages. 15 percent more expected points doesn't make up for the longevity and value retention of Juju in my eyes.

Hopkins is about to go over the age cliff. Now is the time to sell. 2 years ago, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and AJ Green were 27 years old at the top of the rankings. Now they are 3rd or 4th round picks because they got a few years older.

I respect the time you put into this post, but I could not possibly disagree more. If you take away age, there isn’t a single statistic where JuJu outperforms Hopkins.

Hopkins is transcendent. He can succeed with any QB. He has some of the best separation in the league and his hands are magnets. These are skill sets that do not fade with age. Hopkins is a truly special WR. Not to take anything away from JuJu, but he has benefited from an offense that throws way more than the league average and having coverage directed to AB each play, which allowed him to be the big slot. We haven’t seen him as a true WR1 on his team yet.
I think he’ll be very good, but I don’t believe we’ll ever see Hopkins numbers out of JuJu.

This about sums up my feelings too. Juju is exciting.. call him the new kid on the block (top 5 WR) sorta speak. However, we have not seen him do it himself yet, without AB or Bell there. Once I see it then I'd be open to the idea, but for now as an owner of both players I don't believe I'd trade Hopkins for Juju unless I were in desperate need of another piece (ie: RB) that was also being offered. A draft pick, unless it were a guaranteed top 3 wouldn't be acceptable. Hopkins by a mile, at least for now.
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

DynastyDegenerate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DynastyDegenerate » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 am

blemly wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Hopkins is transcendent. He can succeed with any QB. He has some of the best separation in the league and his hands are magnets. These are skill sets that do not fade with age. Hopkins is a truly special WR. Not to take anything away from JuJu, but he has benefited from an offense that throws way more than the league average and having coverage directed to AB each play, which allowed him to be the big slot. We haven’t seen him as a true WR1 on his team yet. I think he’ll be very good, but I don’t believe we’ll ever see Hopkins numbers out of JuJu.
I respect your disagreement. If we all agreed dynasty would be a lot less fun. And if we all agreed, my strategy wouldn't even work.

If you take away age I mostly agree. My argument is mainly centered around age. Both what Juju has done statistically in terms of his age and the fact that Hopkins is approaching the point of losing trade value due to age are pretty much the bookends of my argument.

Hopkins is where AB was 3 years ago. You probably have a year or maybe a bit more to flip Hopkins for that next upcoming stud (Juju) before you can't anymore, but Juju saw 160 targets last year and there are another 160 targets available in Pittsburgh. It is not unlikely that Juju has a huge year and is nearly unattainable as a 23 year old with 3 elite seasons under his belt...

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 am

Here’s the part that really bothers me, and is - IMO, borderline reckless dynasty advice.

You just assume that JuJu will have 9 MORE years of elite production? We can’t honestly project out more than 1-2 years with WRs with much regularity, and you’re talking about what will happen in almost a decade?

For the record, Juju’s elite year last year (when he had 160 targets) would be Hopkins’ 4th best season.

I’m not at all trying to hate on JJSS, he does look to be a stud in this league for a long time - but he’s not on Nuk’s level as an elite talent OR hyper-elite fantasy producer yet. That could change this year, but it hasn’t happened yet.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

DynastyDegenerate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DynastyDegenerate » Sat May 25, 2019 8:47 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 am

Here’s the part that really bothers me, and is - IMO, borderline reckless dynasty advice.

You just assume that JuJu will have 9 MORE years of elite production? We can’t honestly project out more than 1-2 years with WRs with much regularity, and you’re talking about what will happen in almost a decade?

For the record, Juju’s elite year last year (when he had 160 targets) would be Hopkins’ 4th best season.

I’m not at all trying to hate on JJSS, he does look to be a stud in this league for a long time - but he’s not on Nuk’s level as an elite talent OR hyper-elite fantasy producer yet. That could change this year, but it hasn’t happened yet.
Fair enough, I'll defend that. I don't think I'll convince you, but maybe I can explain that it's not just a blind assumption.

I can agree that usually trying to project that far out is a fool's errand. I contend that in the case of historically productive players, we can project that they will remain very good throughout their careers barring injury or something off the field. The former can happen to any player, the latter is not likely to come up with Juju.

Three years ago, we were saying the same things about Hopkins that can be said about Juju now. Hopkins then had the 3rd highest yards before the age of 23. Probably the most predictive sign that Hopkins was going to be a stud was the production he was able to put up at such a young age. Juju is on track to crush Hopkins yards before 23 mark and even pass all time leader Randy Moss, he doesn't turn 23 until after mid-season 2019.

Yards before age 23:
Randy Moss - 2726
Josh Gordon - 2451
Juju - 2343
Mike Evans - 2257
Cooper - 2223
Hopkins - 2212

Receptions before age 23:
Juju - 169
Larry Fitzgerald - 161
Amari Cooper - 155
Cooks - 150
Randy Moss - 149
Keenan Allen - 148

If you want to compare just first two seasons for around 21 and 22 years old, the numbers above except for Cooks should be just first 2 years due to offseason birthday.

I also find it odd that we are viewing Brown leaving as a negative. Smith-Schuster will have to deal with more attention, but volume should go way up. In no other situation in fantasy does anyone view a player rising on the offensive pecking order for volume as a bad thing. He will probably be less efficient, but volume should more than compensate for that.

I'd also add that while Hopkins is putting up higher fantasy point totals, it's not by a ton. If Juju and Hopkins put up similar numbers as last year for the rest of their careers, Juju would have to play at most 2 years longer than Hopkins to make up all those points and then some. He will also maintain trade value longer and can perhaps be flipped for the next Juju on the rise in 5 years. I see these things all weighing out evenly on the scales. Juju over Hopkins is more risky in the short term, but has more upside and a better chance of the Juju side being the hindsight winner IMO.

DynastyDegenerate
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DynastyDegenerate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Friedman and Kelley had an argument over Juju vs Hopkins in redraft. Friedman had Juju projected for more. Kelley said that it's obvious in dynasty that the answer is Juju, he's a 5 years younger version of Hopkins.

Amazing what a few months does to expert consensus.

mrmagloo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby mrmagloo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Stronglikebear wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm I prefer JuJu over Hopkins in dynasty currently. I understand I am against the grain.
I agree, give me Juju all day. I love Nuk, but I love Juju more long term.
Rollin with Mahomes
10 team, standard dynasty league, roster 22, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 DST, 1 K First Year 2018 runner up
QB- Mahomes, Winston
RB- Drake, Carson, Thompson, Chubb, R Jones, Darrel Williams, Penny, Samuels
WR- Julio, Mike Williams, JUJU, Golladay, DJ Moore, McLaurin, D Johnson
TE- OJ, Hooper
IR- Butler, Guice
TS- D Henderson, J Hill
2020- 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Hopkins is the only WR right now that has proven to be QB proof . I like JuJu but he hasn’t even been the number 1 on his own team yet .

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 pm

I wouldn't add anything, myself. The 4 plus year age gap means something. There is a high probability Juju is the WR1 in dynasty next year, with another good season.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Kmani6
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kmani6 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:58 pm

I think JuJu will most likely be the WR 1 in dynasty by the end of next season, but solely due to age. I don't even think he will finish top 5 this season in fantasy points. I also do not know if JuJu will ever have as dominant seasons as Hopkins has had. I like to think JuJu's fantasy stat lines will be very dominant but not transcendent (i.e. 1000-1400 yards, ~10-12 TDs). As players, Hopkins and JuJu are nothing alike. JuJu played from the slot 61 percent on his snaps last year and Hopkins played 11 percent... JuJu consistently took advantage of AB drawing large amounts of coverages. JuJu is a fantastic player who's best trait is his willingness to be great. As Chris Harris states "winning out of a route when it's just 1 on 1, no deception, is not so much JuJu's thing." Essentially, JuJu struggles in press coverage quite a bit and a lot more than dynasty truthers admit. It's honestly worrisome. Ultimately, JuJu doesn't have Adam's release, AB's quickness, Julio's overall dominance, or Hopkin's hands and this is why I don't think he'll ever have a truly jaw dropping season at least in the near future. One last thing to note is that a lot of amazing WR that play very late into their careers (jerry rice, Larry fitz) have amazing hands and Hopkin's has exactly this. I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins performs well into his 30's.

Before anyone attacks me watch this video I have linked by Chris Harris. It is excellent and displays what I like to refer as the Antonio Brown affect, and what AB does for JuJu's production. It also highlights how JuJu plays primarily out of the slot, something that is usually a red flag for most fantasy wide receivers. Lastly, it shows how JuJu struggles quite a bit in press coverage and may take some time to adjust, at least in this upcoming season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCRAP4H6n5k

But wait, JuJu is only 22 of course he has time to improve?! While I fully agree with this sentiment I'm just pointing out the fact that a lot of the traits that make the above receivers "elite" are in some regards unattainable. One day, JuJu will most likely develop his own "trait" that will also propel him into these levels of fantasy excellence, however, it might not come as early as we all think.
Dynasty Team 1:

10 Man, Full PPR, .2 PPC, Double Flex

QB: Kyler Murray
RB: Saquon Barkley , Breece Hall, Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, CEH
WR: Devante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase, DK Metcalf, Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy
TE: Travis Kelce

2023 Picks: 1.4, 1.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 3.8

Dynasty Team 2:

10 Man, Half PPR, Double Flex

QB: Tua
RB: Barkley , Mixon, Javonte, Jacobs, CEH
WR: AJB, Tyreek, Lamb, Aiyuk, Bateman
TE: Kittle

2022 Picks: 1.5, 1.6, 2.3
2023 Picks: 2 x 1st, 2 x 2nd