New Startup

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Stringar
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

New Startup

Postby Stringar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 am

Hello all,

New to the board, been looking around for a while, there is a ton of great info! I just recently completed a startup draft. I think I did okay, but I was thinking about trading a few smaller pieces to get another big name WR, and was wondering what this community had to say. The team is in my signature.

Thanks guys
12 Team PPR 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1 FLEX
QB: Watson | Winston
RB: Cook | Kerryon | Guice | White | Jackson | McGuire | Kelly | Ito Smith | Rod Smith
WR: Hopkins | Cooks | Lockett | Enunwa | Quinn | Wilson | Pringle
TE: Doyle

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Re: New Startup

Postby Gator Sens » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am

Welcome to the community. I have not done a start up in 6 years so I have no personal comparisons. You could use some help at RB and WR. I would try to find an owner high on Yeldon and if there is a David Moore believer. QB looks good and TE is solid with Hooper. Good luck with your next moves.

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:39 am

What round did you get Watson and Winston in?

You need a RB way more than you need a WR. Your RB's are REALLY weak. I don't like anyone after Cook.

Which Moore is that at WR? DJ or David? I'm assuming DJ because you have him listed ahead of Lockett. I think you are fine at WR with four solid WR's, as long as that's DJ Moore.

I'm not a huge fan of Hooper, but I think RB is a way bigger need.

I would look to package up and move some pieces for an RB2.

Good luck.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Stringar
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Stringar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 am

Haha yes it's DJ Moore. I was hoping I could find one of my RBs outside of Cook in a more improved role then they are now by the start of the season, but I see your point. I don't remember what round I got Watson in, I think it was 5 or 6. I can check my notes later if that's important to you.

I'm certainly going to take the advice here and focus my attention on upgrading to another solid RB. Thanks again guys, and any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
RB: Cook | Kerryon | Guice | White | Jackson | McGuire | Kelly | Ito Smith | Rod Smith

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Postby FantasyFoosball » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am

Took Watson too early for me. I would have grabbed a RB with that pick for sure.

With that being said, you have some good young players at your core. I don't think you compete for a championship this year, but I think if you keep building through the draft you are pretty close. Your depth leaves a little to be desired at RB and WR, but future drafts should help with that.

Let your league know that you are looking for another RB, and see what kind of offers get sent your way.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Rasorin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Rasorin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am

You WR depth is great. I would focus on RB 1/2 and a good young TE with upside potential.

Stringar
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Stringar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks for all the great points everyone. I think the way my roster ended up the way it did was I followed some advice that made sense at the time: where your RBs need to grow organically. There is a lot of churn and injuries and having a lot of younger, next man up types during the off-season can reap some benefits come September. How do you guys feel about that sentiment?

Edit: I forgot to mention the other part of the advice, which was it's harder to hit on WRs in the later rounds of a startup then the early rounds (compared to RBs), which is why I was so focused on them and it seems I have decent stable of WRs now

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 pm

1) The roster looks good. Lots of solid pieces; most are unlikely to bust; many have growth potential.

2) Were rookies or rookie picks included in the draft? If picks, then what do you have?

3) As for trading, I think that you'll find it quite difficult. Aside from your starting lineup, none of your players have real intrigue. Not a critique! Just the reality that you won't be able to bundle all of your non-starters for any serviceable player. And giving up two starters to consolidate into one better one is a mixed bag -- great, but that eliminates any depth. Again, nothing critical here: it's the reality of startups! Just go into trading knowing that your back-end players are almost assuredly not going to get you the RB2 or WR3 that you really want.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Stringar
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Stringar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Yes rookie picks for 2019 went in this startup as well, however I only picked up 1.08. Good idea to point out though.

If bundling up players to consolidate into a stronger piece won't work for my roster, what about breaking up one of the better pieces into a few strong assets? Or am over thinking this and possibly just hold onto what I have until circumstances change enough to affect the buy/sell power of my team?

Thanks again for all the great advice everyone