Please Educate Me!

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
sbowers9
Rookie
Rookie

Please Educate Me!

Postby sbowers9 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 am

I have the 1.3, 1.4 & 1.9 I will take Ingram with my 1.3. I have Javid Best. I am weak at RB.

Now, most of the conventional wisdom I read on this forum says that I should take Leshoure at 1.4. He would be "insurance" and a "handcuff" to Best. In my way of thinking, if I draft Leshoure, instead of having just one RBBC (Best) on my team, I will now have two RBBC's (Best & Leshoure). How is that a good thing? I'm thinking, "What a waste of a 1.4 pick." Why wouldn't I want to take that pick and select another great rookie - one who has a chance of being a feature back. I'm certain that Leshoure won't be a feature back unless Best gets hurt, and that's no way to decide a pick, is it?

Please educate me - I would truly appreciate your opinions.

12 team PPR, 23 rostered, Start 1QB/2-3 RB/3-4 WR/1TE/1 PK/1 DF
QB's – Romo, Garrard, Webb
RB's – L. Blount, Javid Best, Reggie Bush, James Starks, Michael Bush, Mike Goodson
WR's - Maclin, Santonio Holmes, Johnny Knox, Seattle Mike Williams, Steve Breaston, Eddie Royal, Nate Washington, Danario Alexander, Anthony Armstrong, Golden Tate
TE's - Vernon Davis
PK - Adam Vinatieri
DF – Tampa Bay

I have the 1.3, 1.4 & 1.9 and the 3.9 in the 2011 rookie draft. I also have two first round picks in 2012.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Please Educate Me!

Postby tstafford » Sun May 01, 2011 9:23 am

Getting Ingram at the 1.03 is fantastic. Congrats on that. As to the question, I advocate BPA at all picks regardless of roster. I think that's Williams and therefore I'd take him. The 1.04 is a somewhat frustrating pick, I suspect.

northga
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby northga » Sun May 01, 2011 9:31 am

Owning Best I understand your dilemma but my 1.4 pick is being delivered with the notation inside "Ryan Williams."

repkllrs
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby repkllrs » Sun May 01, 2011 9:47 am

Ingram/Williams/Thomas/Leshoure is the order I draft rbs
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Abe Lincoln

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am

On the issue of Handcuffs - that's loser thinking.

To think like a winner, you have to go out and get the players who will be, or have the potential to be, feature players on their teams. Especially that early in a draft.

If you think Best is better than LeShoure, then you already have the player from the Lions that you want. Go look at the other options out there.

Good luck! -oo-

pdaignau
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby pdaignau » Sun May 01, 2011 11:07 am

meineymoe wrote:To think like a winner, you have to go out and get the players who will be, or have the potential to be, feature players on their teams. Especially that early in a draft.
x2.

I'm not a fan of owning handcuffs and\or multiple RBs in a RBBC situation. I always try to get the best RB available. If they happen to be a handcuff or RBBC for a RB I own, that's great but I don't give that priority.
Start: QB, 2x RB, 2x WR\RB, 2x WR\TE, K, Def - Standard Scoring - 12 Teams
QB: Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Ryan Fitzpatrick
RB: Doug Martin, Mark Ingram, Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Alfred Morris, Andre Ellington
WR: Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, Brandon Marshall, Donte Moncrief, Michael Floyd, Phillip Dorsett, Josh Doctson
DEF, K: Yes

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Sun May 01, 2011 12:12 pm

pdaignau wrote:
meineymoe wrote:To think like a winner, you have to go out and get the players who will be, or have the potential to be, feature players on their teams. Especially that early in a draft.
x2.

I'm not a fan of owning handcuffs and\or multiple RBs in a RBBC situation. I always try to get the best RB available. If they happen to be a handcuff or RBBC for a RB I own, that's great but I don't give that priority.
x3

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Sun May 01, 2011 12:19 pm

x4.... i am a drone......
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

Tcove
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Tcove » Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Handcuffs are great if you have the roster space, as they can get you out of jams during critical runs. But as said well above, they should be valued less than players of superior talent.
12 Team 1 PPR, 43man roster,
QB,2RB,2WR,TE,PK,2 Flex 2DL,2LB,2DB, 2 flex
QB Ryan, D Watson
RB Zeke, J Howard, Crowell, C Simms, Ivory, K Marshall, D Jackson, B Cunningham, D Foreman
WR Watkins, Diggs, Maclin, K Aiken,T Austin, Sanu, M Mitchell, D Braverman
TE Ebron, Njoku, Z Miller
PK Hauschka, Bryant
DL Watt, Richardson, M Jackson,
LB Bowman, E Kendricks, D Perryman, Kj Wright, Z Orr, J Davis
DB Ha Ha, Ward, J Addle, McCourty
2016 CHAMPIONS
1.12( Njoku), 2.8(D Foreman), 2.9(J Davis) 2.12(D Watson), 3.12,4.12

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Sun May 01, 2011 11:18 pm

While I agree about the thinking of not usually drafting a handcuff, I still think Leshoure is more talented than Williams. So, in that line of thinking, that's who I would choose. The fact that you also own Best, may be a blessing in disguise. If you take the most talented back & he happens to fall into the starter position due to injury or otherwise, it's better than having a less talented back in the same situation.

If you think Williams is the clear cut starter in Arizona & doesn't have anything to worry about with Wells, then maybe you go that direction...but, I'm all for taking the most talented player first.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

Major_Loser
Starter
Starter

Postby Major_Loser » Mon May 02, 2011 7:56 am

I don't know if you can bank on getting Ingram at the 1.03, in all the circles I talk to he is the consensus 1.01 at this point.
Team 1
12 team .5 PPR league
1 Qb, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE
QB: Herbert, Tannehill
RB: Josh Jacobs, Dobbins, Charbs, Ford
WR: Chase, Waddle, AJB, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Rashid Shaheed
TE: Waller, Chig, Njoku

dabearsfan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dabearsfan » Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 am

I agree with the idea that you have to take whoever you think is the most talented player. This philosophy should hold true in most situations unless the talent gap is close and one of the players has gone to a situation where you know he will not be getting much playing time barring a trade (ie: Toby Gerhart).

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 am

dabearsfan wrote:I agree with the idea that you have to take whoever you think is the most talented player. This philosophy should hold true in most situations unless the talent gap is close and one of the players has gone to a situation where you know he will not be getting much playing time barring a trade (ie: Toby Gerhart).
The Gerhart example is a good one. Barring injury, he has zero expectation of getting sufficient touches to be fantasy relevant. It's probably most extreme case of a guy going somewhere and it destroying any fantasy value he might have had. Maybe that's Ryan Mallet this year :wink: