Draft QB or trust Mariota/Trubisky? *Trade made*

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Draft QB or trust Mariota/Trubisky?

Postby skip » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 am

I'd gladly pay a first for Baker. Then make Trubisky your backup and dump Mariota asap.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 am

I'm with the others - I'd pay for Baker sooner than I'd burn one of those draft picks on any of these 2019 QB's. It's a way better usage of your draft capital.

I'd also suggest that you might ride this one out one more year with your current guys if you can't find a pre-season trade, and look to either make a move in-season, or prepare for the 2020 class. Unless you're a contender missing the final piece, Trubisky with additional time learning with Nagy could still be in for another "up" year, and his rushing buoy's the fantasy floor. He's serviceable.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am

If it's a start one, package Mariota and just go buy an "old" guy like Rivers, Ben, Ryan, Stafford, etc. In a 10 teamer, you'll likely be able to land one of them cheaper than it would cost to get a top 2 rookie qb in your draft.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 am

Trubisky looks pretty questionable to develop given that he was placed in a favorable system with a lot of weapons and still struggled. The very fact that he was given a new system to learn in his second season is a red flag for me. On the positive side, he’ll be entering his second season in the system, so there is some potential for improvement.

Mariota was playing hurt for the bulk of 2018 and was learning a new system under Lafleur. There is risk in that he’ll be on another new system next season, but if he can get healthy, his value is very likely to improve. I like his chances of improving, as well as his long term prospects, better than Trubisky. If you’re seeing similar values for the two, I would probably move Trubisky and I suspect that Mariota’s value is lower than Trubisky right now.

To get back to the question, I’m rolling with Mariota, Carr & Stafford and I’m not all that confident heading into 2019. I was basically just picking whichever guy faced the lightest pass rush that weak because all three seemed to struggle whenever facing a team with a solid pass rush. I like Carr about the same as Trubisky and I like Stafford & Mariota more, so in your position, I would definitely make a move to improve my QB situation. Maybe you can get an old guy like Rivers or Roethlisberger to hold you over while you give both your guys another year to see where things go. I don’t know that I’m fully sold on Mayfield at this point.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:50 am

In a 10 team league with only 1 QB there should be plenty of QB's in FA. No way I would draft one from this class with a high pick. Set your sights on a Winston type. He shouldn't cost a ton and he has a new coach with a lot of weapons.

Maybe a late first and Mariota for Winston and an early 2nd would make some sense. Trubisky will be just fine going forward given he is a dual threat and getting better. Or a mid level WR for a solid QB.

QB's in 10 team leagues are not worth much outside of a handful of studs.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:13 am

I trust Trubisky. He's also in a good situation for a young QB. If Mariota would get into an offensive scheme that suits him, I'd trust him too. I think Mariota needs an RPO type of playbook to maximize his skill set.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

DynastyDabbler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyDabbler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This forum is incredible! You guys open my eyes up to many different options and that's what I needed. I think going forward I'll try to trade my late first for someone like Baker or maybe Jameis . If that doesn't work I'll look to aquire an established veteran QB like Rivers/Big Ben. And if that fails I still have hope in my current QBs to get me through the year.

In year 2 of our dynasty league I acuired Mariota and have been really let down. I believed he would turn things around this past year so I acuired Corey Davis. So at this point it's difficult for me to let go of the Titans. I was able to draft Trubisky at the end of our rookie draft so it's easier for me to ship him off. I'll keep you posted once a change has been made.
10 team half-ppr 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2FLX 3IDP
QB: J. Burrow, J. Goff
RB: J. Mixon, K. Walker, T. Etienne, A. Ekeler, Z. Charbonet, K. Miller, T. Bigsby, J. Warren,
WR: J. Chase, D.J. Moore, D.K. Metcalf, D. Smith, J. Smith-Njigba, P. Nacua, J. Meyers, T. Palmer,
TE: T. Kelce, T. McBride, C. Okonkwo

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am If it's a start one, package Mariota and just go buy an "old" guy like Rivers, Ben, Ryan, Stafford, etc. In a 10 teamer, you'll likely be able to land one of them cheaper than it would cost to get a top 2 rookie qb in your draft.
This is what I think I would do. Buy a Brees/Ben/Rivers for cheaper and see if Trubs or Mariota figure more out.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm

maxhyde wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am If it's a start one, package Mariota and just go buy an "old" guy like Rivers, Ben, Ryan, Stafford, etc. In a 10 teamer, you'll likely be able to land one of them cheaper than it would cost to get a top 2 rookie qb in your draft.
This is what I think I would do. Buy a Brees/Ben/Rivers for cheaper and see if Trubs or Mariota figure more out.
Fascinating. This would be my least preferred option. (This forum is great for multiple perspectives!)

Think about how many times you would have to do this over the next 12 years -- a 3rd here, a 2nd there, a 4th here, an upside player there. In the end, not only does that take incredible time and effort, but the some of the parts will cost far more than a late first in 2019, for which you would arguably get a better player for a LONG time.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 pm

moishetreats wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm
maxhyde wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am
Fascinating. This would be my least preferred option. (This forum is great for multiple perspectives!)

Think about how many times you would have to do this over the next 12 years -- a 3rd here, a 2nd there, a 4th here, an upside player there. In the end, not only does that take incredible time and effort, but the some of the parts will cost far more than a late first in 2019, for which you would arguably get a better player for a LONG time.
I get the longevity angle. Personally, I work within a 2-3 year window. Too much can change, not only within the context of the NFL, but also the dynamics of the dynasty league itself. Life and situations change, leagues fold. It's served me well thus far.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2