Alvin Kamara without Drew Brees

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Nimrod
Role Player
Role Player

Alvin Kamara without Drew Brees

Postby Nimrod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 am

Alvin Kamara has ascended into a top 6 RB territory, going higher than that in many drafts at the beginning of the season. I have him in Dynasty and I wonder what his value is with an average quarterback and not Drew Brees. Also, how much does Sean Payton's system contribute to where Kamara's opportunity lies? The BREEZE man many only play a couple more years, so my question is this:

Is Alvin Kamara a good enough back to hold onto regardless of his QB situation, or should I look to move him this offseason where his value is high?

I have David Johnson as well in Dynasty and this has proved how a RB can be effected with an atrocious QB, see Josh Rosen for details.
Team 1

12 team PPR QB 2 RB 2 WR 3 Flex TE DST

QB: Kyler, Cousins, Trubisky
RB: CEH, Hines, Cohen, Evans, Perine,
WR: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Allen Robinson, Gallup, Harry, Kirk
TE: Herndon, Njoku, Doyle

2021 picks 2nd, 4rd,

FantasyFoosball
Legend
Legend

Re: Alvin Kamara without Drew Brees

Postby FantasyFoosball » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 am

I think Kamara is a solid keep for years to come. The guy is a legit talent, regardless of where he plays or who his QB is.

We have no way of knowing how long Brees will play, although he is playing at an elite level still, and we don't know what their next QB will look like. No point in trying to guess and assuming the worst.

If you are competing there is no way you can move the guy, regardless of his situation. He's too valuable to a championship level team.

If you are in rebuild mode, he is young enough that you should be able to build around him.
Team One:
10 Team Salary Cap League w/ IDP - Est. 2018
2018: Champions!
2019: Champions!!
2020: 2nd Place
2021: Loss in Semis
2022: Champions!!!
.5 PPR/$200 budget
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 3 DL/LB/DB

QB - Mahomes
RB - CMC, White, Sanders, Herbert, Foreman, McKinnon
WR - Diggs, Ridley, Godwin, KJ Osborn, Woods, Claypool, Campbell
TE - Kittle, Goedert, Gesicki
K - Bass
DL - Reddick, Jones, M. Sweat
LB - R. Smith, Wagner, Leonard, White, Perryman, Cashman
DB - Byard, Bell, Hobbs, Jenkins

2024: 3rd

Team Two:
DLF Advice Forum League
14 Team PPR SF/TE Premium (2PPR)
2020: 4th Place
2021: 2nd Place
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1SF, 2Flex
QB - Allen, Carr, Mayfield, Trask, Zappe
RB - Harris, Gibson, Herbert, K. Miller, C. Brown
WR - MT, G. Davis, Bourne, Skyy Moore, Reynolds, Shakir, A.T. Perry, C. Moore, Hinton
TE - Kittle, Andrews, Woods

2024: 1, 2, 3, 4

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:24 am

I agree. Even if Brees moves on after the season, I don't foresee Kamara suddenly not being startable. The offense may slip as a whole in NO but Kamara will still get his

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:41 am

Kamara is pretty much situation-proof. Even if Brees gets replaced by a young QB or someone afraid to throw downfield, he'll get his points via PPR. At the end of the day he is a playmaker.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

jp4703
Role Player
Role Player

Postby jp4703 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 am

Like the person who posted said though the perfect example to this is DJ.

I'm not sure how you guys claim Kamara to be situation proof, some of you guys would've said the same thing about DJ. Talent wise DJ is better IMO then Kamara, you guys seem to be forgetting the numbers DJ put up in 2016.

Another thing is DJ is still getting most of the touches out of the backfield in ARI, but with the Saints as long as Peyton is around there will be some kind of committee which will deflate Kamara's numbers.

I'm not saying trade Kamara, but I think once Brees leaves and if they bring a below avg QB to replace him I think Kamara would have worse numbers then DJ put up this year. BUT if the Saints plan on replacing Brees with Bridgewater I don't think Kamara will lose his value because I think Bridgewater is still a good QB.
16 team - 42rosters - 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1PK, 3DE/DL, 2DB, 2LB, 1DFLEX
QB: D. Brees, M. Stafford.
RB: L. Bell, D. Cook, J. Conner, M. Sanders, A. Blue, J. Ajayi, A. Barnes.
WR: M. Thomas, A.J. Green, J. Jones, C. Godwin, Z. Jones, J. Reynolds, K. Kirkwood, J. Moore, J. Hurd, T. Benjamin.
TE: Z. Ertz, J. Smith, M. Andrews, D. Waller, J. Sternberger.
K: M. Badgley.
DB: L. Collins, J. Johnson, J. Tart, C. Geathers, M. Blair.
DL: C. Dunlap, D. Barnett, J. Casey, B. Graham, G. McCoy, J. Allen.
LB: T. Whitehead, J. Hicks, J. Collins, J. Brown, K. White, G. Avery, C. Barton, B. Cashman, J. Ryan, J. Tavai, Q. Williams.
Picks:
2020: 2, 4, 4, 5
2021: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 am

jp4703 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 am Like the person who posted said though the perfect example to this is DJ.

I'm not sure how you guys claim Kamara to be situation proof, some of you guys would've said the same thing about DJ. Talent wise DJ is better IMO then Kamara, you guys seem to be forgetting the numbers DJ put up in 2016.

Another thing is DJ is still getting most of the touches out of the backfield in ARI, but with the Saints as long as Peyton is around there will be some kind of committee which will deflate Kamara's numbers.

I'm not saying trade Kamara, but I think once Brees leaves and if they bring a below avg QB to replace him I think Kamara would have worse numbers then DJ put up this year. BUT if the Saints plan on replacing Brees with Bridgewater I don't think Kamara will lose his value because I think Bridgewater is still a good QB.
Kamara may fall out if the ELITE tier like I mentioned. But just like David Johnson he would still be a RB1. So sure if Kamara loses his QB and his line falls apart and has a coaching carousel like DJ does, he would comparably be a low RB1.

I think Ingram has much more of an impact on Kamara than Brees. I also agree that Teddy would be their best hey as replacement, but I'm not sure how they handle him if Brees stays

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:29 am

jp4703 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:26 am Like the person who posted said though the perfect example to this is DJ.

DJ put up 16 PPG in a 'down year'. That is a very reliable, steady, RB1.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 am

I think "situation proof" is an overstatement and not even Gurley is situation proof as we have seen. The thing is Kamara's situation will be extremely steady even without Brees. For one Sean Peyton will continue to be the coach and is a great offensive mind who has schemed to target RB's more than any other team in the NFL over the past decade. DJ's woes are somewhat to be blamed on Rosen but more than that it needs to be blamed on coaching and O-line. Their O-line is absolutely terrible and their coaches don't seem to understand how to use one of the best open space RB's in the NFL, they continually let him run it right up the middle 20 times a game. That won't happen with Kamara as long as their O-line (fairly young) stays in tact and Peyton remains the coach.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am

Titans95 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 am I think "situation proof" is an overstatement and not even Gurley is situation proof as we have seen. The thing is Kamara's situation will be extremely steady even without Brees. For one Sean Peyton will continue to be the coach and is a great offensive mind who has schemed to target RB's more than any other team in the NFL over the past decade. DJ's woes are somewhat to be blamed on Rosen but more than that it needs to be blamed on coaching and O-line. Their O-line is absolutely terrible and their coaches don't seem to understand how to use one of the best open space RB's in the NFL, they continually let him run it right up the middle 20 times a game. That won't happen with Kamara as long as their O-line (fairly young) stays in tact and Peyton remains the coach.
:thumbup: Good post. There's no such thing as a completely safe player.

It's sometimes hard to separate a player's actual skill from his usage, but with Kamara, I think it's apparent he has special traits that are going to help him in any situation. That doesn't mean he can't have a Gurley 2016 season, but he's got talent worth betting on. I'm plenty comfortable keeping him in the top tier of RBs post-Brees as of right now.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 pm

It isn't really about Kamara and Brees - it's about Kamara and Sean Payton.
I'd look at Payton like we look at Andy Reid... regardless of who the WB is, the RBs are going to be seriously fantasy relevant.
As long as Kamara stays with his coach, I'm buying.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

Nimrod
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Nimrod » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:07 pm

This has generated great discussion guys. I like your points about Sean Payton rather than Drew Brees. Its all about the system. I think the DJ scenario shows that with a better system any talent can be utilized. I look at Saquan in NY. Eli is junk these days but Saquan still puts up monster points. They have a better O Line, a true WR1, and a decent system. Thats what Arizona is missing.

Draft Master
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Draft Master » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm

He will be fine, but as we saw this season, NO and Sean isn't willing to feature the way Gurley and SB are featured! Only thing holding him back from the #1 overall conversation! We all saw what he can do first few weeks in the season!

vixen
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby vixen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Brees has been less than average the last few weeks and Kamara has still been decent..
team 1 -start QB RB 2WR TE 2RB/WR 1WR/TE
qbs=5pt tds wr/te=1 ppr rbs=.5ppr all get .25ppc
Watson, Brady, Mills
Ekeler, Hunt, Carson/Penny, DForeman, Mitchell, CPat, Kyren, Ford, KHarris
Cooper, sutton, Chase, Shepard, Atwell, Schwartz, Wan'Dale, Austin III
Gesicki, Engram, Hooper, Woods
team 2 -start QB 2RB 3WR TE 2Flex K D
Cousins, Stafford
DH JT, Ekeler, Kylin Hill, Herbert, KHarris, Chandler
Hopkins, Diggs, Adams, Godwin, McLaurin, Callaway, DPJ, Robby Anderson, Schwartz, Pierce, Wan'Dale, Doubs
Kelce, Andrews, Jacob Harris

Titans95
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Titans95 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am

Draft Master wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm He will be fine, but as we saw this season, NO and Sean isn't willing to feature the way Gurley and SB are featured! Only thing holding him back from the #1 overall conversation! We all saw what he can do first few weeks in the season!
I agree, it will be interesting to see if they resign Ingram or bring in another bruiser. Kamara was perfectly capable of carrying the load the first month of the season and IMO has the size to carry the ball 15 times per game. I think they are playing Ingram because Ingram is actually a really great RB and if you can save your stud playmaker throughout the season and get decent production from another guy then why not do it? Kamara is in on almost every single play when the saints are playing tough opponents.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Payton affects him more than Brees. If the Saints hire Mike Mccoy, Drew isn't saving Kamara from RB purgatory.