Offseason Priorities

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
maximum12
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Offseason Priorities

Postby maximum12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:16 pm

After years away from FF I joined a startup salary cap dynasty league last summer. My season has gone better than expected and my consistent team has made it to our Championship game!

As I look at my roster, there is a lot to like for the future, especially at starting WR. It would like to get some feedback on what some of the veterans here would be looking to do with the roster below in my signature.

Should my biggest offseason priority be to find a true RB1? Or to add some QB depth - maybe by moving up to the 4-8 range to take Luck? Or something I'm missing....

GL during Championship week
Salary Cap League - 14 team, 21 man roster, 60 M Cap, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1DEF, 1K Non-PPR, 4pt TD - 7M in Cap Space
QB - Newton 1 Mil x 2 Years, Palmer (3,2)
RB - Spiller (4,2), Mathews (5, 2), Lynch (3, 1), D Wilson (2, 4), T Jones (0, 1)
WR - Nicks (6,2), G Jennings (9,2), Fitzgerald (10,4) Torrey Smith (1, 3), James Jones (1,1)
TE - F Davis (3,4) Kendricks (1,2)
DEF - Green Bay (1,1)
2013 Picks - 1.x

DLF Premium Invitational League
QB - Romo, Locker, Flynn, Hassleback
RB - Lynch, Ingram, Tate, Hunter, Ridley, Tolbert, McKnight
WR - Nicks, Colston, Floyd, Wright, Holmes, Moore
TE - Gronk, Rudolph, Bennett, Daniels
2013 Rookie Picks - 2 - 1.x, 4 - 2.x

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Re: Offseason Priorities

Postby dlf_ericd » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 pm

I think you're on the right track...in order, I would put the priorities as RB1, QB2, and then TE.

I do think you're ok at the RB position, especially if Williams signs as a starter somewhere next year, leaving Stewart the clear starter in Carolina.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball

MonkeyOne
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MonkeyOne » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm

With Favre probably done, and Schaub on a one year deal, (and bearing in mind I don't know how easily it will be to keep Schaub), I'd put QB at top of the list, then RB. Not necessarily a move for Luck, but someone you can start on a longer deal.

maximum12
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby maximum12 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback....in regards to player retention - we have the ability to match any offer made, so it should be easy enough to keep Schaub at the end of next season. (Also - Brady, Brees and Ryan will all be available during the same FA period).

In regards to QB's this year Vick and Rivers are FA's and I have been thinking about trying to deal Schaub and make a run at one or both of them. Their current owners have depth at the position, but not enough cap room to resign either. Does that sound too risky?

In regards to RB's would you wait until DWill's situation is cleared up for next year before making any moves?
Salary Cap League - 14 team, 21 man roster, 60 M Cap, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1DEF, 1K Non-PPR, 4pt TD - 7M in Cap Space
RB - Spiller (4,2), Mathews (5, 2), Lynch (3, 1), D Wilson (2, 4), T Jones (0, 1)
WR - Nicks (6,2), G Jennings (9,2), Fitzgerald (10,4) Torrey Smith (1, 3), James Jones (1,1)
DEF - Green Bay (1,1)
2013 Picks - 1.x

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:21 am

Quick question: What rookie pick(s) do you have for 2011? And what is the rookie salary and contract length?

Personally, I wouldn't over pay for Vick or Rivers, it tends not to really be worth it. Or course both are certainly upgrades over Schaub, who I think we saw what I believe is about the worst year you could expect from him. That also means his trade value is depressed at the moment. QB is your lowest need area so I'd avoid spending on it.

I agree with earlier posts that your number one priority is to add another RB. I also own D. Will and he scares the heck out of me. He really has struggled now with injuries for the last year and a half. I know a lot of folks hope and expect a resurgence out of him when/if he moves to a better situation. I hope they're right, but I'm not counting on it. At any rate, as you say you need to wait and see what happens with D. Will. It will be interesting to see how his stock rises/falls depending on where he goes. I feel I'm stuck with him for this year but who knows maybe he surprises me.

I'd look to add another WR before I worried about TE. I really like Austin/Nicks/TampaMike/Jones. That is a nice core that is young and locked up on solid contracts. Austin and Nicks at 10% of the cap is very nice. I would try to add one more guy for depth/injury bye week fill in. I wouldn't spend a ton. Not sure who's available but I'd try to get an older guy who I could get cheaply and put on a short contract. On TE, inevitably there are guys one the wire who come out of nowhere. Good examples are the guys on your team right now! Also, I would absolutely resign Jimmy Graham. Going into next year with Daniels and Graham would be fine by me.

Overall a solid team. I'll be interested to hear what rookie picks you're holding as that might influence my advice.

maximum12
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby maximum12 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:24 am

Hey tstafford...My current draft pick will either be 13 or 14 depending on the finish this weekend. Either way the contact will be 1 mil for 4 years.

In regards to the Schaub trade, my view is I could add the 7th pick and clear enough cap space to get Vick, Manning or Rivers for around 9 to 10 mil. There are not many owners prepared to spend on qbs this off-season. If this was possible would the trade be more appealing?

I definitely will resign graham, hopefully on a 1 mil x 3 year deal.

Thanks again for all the feedback
DEF - Green Bay (1,1)
2013 Picks - 1.x