Brandon Lloyd vs. younger guys

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brandon Lloyd vs. younger guys

Postby meineymoe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm working a deal with someone in which I'm considering sending him a WR upgrade for other considerations.

My opinion of Brandon Lloyd is that he is this season's Antonio Bryant, only older and less talented.

I'm targeting James Jones - He won't ever get the targets that Lloyd did this season, but will Lloyd ever, with youngsters Demaryious Thomas, Eric Decker, and Eddie Royal on hand.

Just wondering if you like James Jones or Brandon Lloyd better long term. 1/3 PPR.

-oo-

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Brandon Lloyd vs. younger guys

Postby tstafford » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

I traded Lloyd after his huge week 5 against the Ravens for a 2012 1st. I really believed I was selling high and that Lloyd was sure to come back to earth. That hasn't happened. . . (Note: I also had Wayne, Harvin, Nicks and Maclin at the time, so all was not lost.)

As much as I regret trading him, I still would do it again. You are right to point out the young WRs in Denver, but also how much of Lloyd's value is tied to Orton? And will Orton see the field in 2011? If you can still get good value for Lloyd, I'd move him.

James Jones is a solid player and as soon as Driver moves out of the way I think Jones becomes a solid WR3 in any format. My only question here is whether or not you can actually get more for Lloyd. I wonder if there are owners out there that will look at his 2010 production and feel he can repeat in 2011. If so, I'd shoot higher than Jones. I suppose it depends on the guys in your league.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm

meineymoe wrote:I'm working a deal with someone in which I'm considering sending him a WR upgrade for other considerations.

My opinion of Brandon Lloyd is that he is this season's Antonio Bryant, only older and less talented.

I'm targeting James Jones - He won't ever get the targets that Lloyd did this season, but will Lloyd ever, with youngsters Demaryious Thomas, Eric Decker, and Eddie Royal on hand.

Just wondering if you like James Jones or Brandon Lloyd better long term. 1/3 PPR.

-oo-
Your assessment of Lloyd is right on. I wouldn't target James Jones though personally. I still like Nelson more in GB. I would deal Lloyd for draft picks for sure though or target a different WR like Knox, Wallace, Britt, Holmes, S.Smith NY, or even Holmes.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:17 pm

hosler427 wrote:
meineymoe wrote:I'm working a deal with someone in which I'm considering sending him a WR upgrade for other considerations.

-oo-
Your assessment of Lloyd is right on. I wouldn't target James Jones though personally. I still like Nelson more in GB. I would deal Lloyd for draft picks for sure though or target a different WR like Knox, Wallace, Britt, Holmes, S.Smith NY, or even Holmes.
I agree with Dan on this one...he nailed it.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:28 pm

I didn't mean to list Holmes twice...oops

lake3711
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby lake3711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 pm

hosler427 wrote:I didn't mean to list Holmes twice...oops
It would be a great trade though. Sanchez to Holmes looks like a nice connection. Trade Lloyd for Holmes, Holmes, Holmes...

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I wouldn't want to be relying on Llyod to continue to put up his numbers, so I'd be looking to get rid of him.
I also really like J.Nelson more then J.Jones.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:35 pm

I agree it's time to sell Lloyd while his value is at the highest it will ever be. I like Jones (more than Nelson) but you should be getting more in return.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Holmes, et al, would be nice, but I'm not playing with idiots. Or, at least, the idiots have already been picked clean :twisted:

-oo-

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:17 pm

meineymoe wrote:Holmes, et al, would be nice, but I'm not playing with idiots. Or, at least, the idiots have already been picked clean :twisted:

-oo-
You may not be playing with idiots but James Jones isn't fair value....

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:28 pm

meineymoe wrote:Holmes, et al, would be nice, but I'm not playing with idiots. Or, at least, the idiots have already been picked clean :twisted:

-oo-
I'd rather have Lloyd than Holmes even if he is a sell high, but I have never been terribly high on Holmes either (also a sell high while he is producing in the Jets offense).
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 pm

skip wrote:

-oo-
I'd rather have Lloyd than Holmes even if he is a sell high, but I have never been terribly high on Holmes either (also a sell high while he is producing in the Jets offense).
Man in the "good 'ol days" I'd be asking for some of that "Hartville bud" you must be smokin' Skipper... :mrgreen:

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:43 pm

I agree, that Lloyd is a "sell High" guy right now. His value will never be higher.... at least I think. I guess you never know though.... maybe he becomes Orton's Reggie Wayne. Stranger things have happened. But, you absolutely need to get more than James Jones for Lloyd.

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 am

There are a couple of HUGE differences between Brandon Lloyd and Antonio Bryant. Bryant was out of football for a year in 2007 because of a drug suspension. Bryant had a lengthy history of knee troubles in Tampa Bay and was released due to his knee-problem 2009 after one breakout year in '08 w/ Tampa Bay. His knee problems never let him get on the field after signing a big contract with Cincy this year and he was cut. Bryant was rarely healthy enough to play after his excellent 2008 and now is unemployed due to his knee problems.

Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving through week 13 this year and has not battled serious injury whatsoever, other than a broken collarbone in '07. Big difference between bad knees and a fluke broken bone. Lloyd has always had talent, but he took a long time to mature and get with the NFL program. His rapport with Orton blossomed in Chicago before exploding in Denver. There is no real reason to think he can't enjoy several more years of quality fantasy production. I think of guys like Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Amani Toomer, Donald Driver....a bunch of guys can blossom late and have long careers.

When you are dominating the NFL like Lloyd has this year and remained injury-free, I doubt you're on the verge of just washing out of the league. So, to say he's this year's Antonio Bryant is being short-sighted, at best.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am

Misfit74 wrote:There are a couple of HUGE differences between Brandon Lloyd and Antonio Bryant. Bryant was out of football for a year in 2007 because of a drug suspension. Bryant had a lengthy history of knee troubles in Tampa Bay and was released due to his knee-problem 2009 after one breakout year in '08 w/ Tampa Bay. His knee problems never let him get on the field after signing a big contract with Cincy this year and he was cut. Bryant was rarely healthy enough to play after his excellent 2008 and now is unemployed due to his knee problems.

Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving through week 13 this year and has not battled serious injury whatsoever, other than a broken collarbone in '07. Big difference between bad knees and a fluke broken bone. Lloyd has always had talent, but he took a long time to mature and get with the NFL program. His rapport with Orton blossomed in Chicago before exploding in Denver. There is no real reason to think he can't enjoy several more years of quality fantasy production. I think of guys like Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Amani Toomer, Donald Driver....a bunch of guys can blossom late and have long careers.

When you are dominating the NFL like Lloyd has this year and remained injury-free, I doubt you're on the verge of just washing out of the league. So, to say he's this year's Antonio Bryant is being short-sighted, at best.
Even if I believed that Lloyd would be a long term NFL producer (which I really don't), I would say that he is a sell high in the off season. This will be his career year.