Get on The Starks Train!

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Re: Get on The Starks Train!

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Doesn't mean he'll play right away and probably won't play for at least a couple more games. If he can stay healthy - and that's a big IF - he can threaten the jobs of both Brandon Jackson and Ryan Grant. He has a nice skill-set as a well-rounded back with good speed and hands. He might get his chance this year to emerge and challenge the depth chart if he gets enough time on the field.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm

I think he threatens Brandon's job almost immediately. I still expect the Packers to come out next season with Grant as the secure #1 RB in that offense. He has been a solidly productive runner since he arrived there and hasn't showed any signs of slowing. In fact, he actually gets better as each season moves along. Just because he is sitting on IR isn't any reason to think he has lost that job at this point. If anything, the subpar play of everyone they have rolled out there since the Grant injury only speaks to how valuable he has been to that team.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:01 pm

skip wrote:I think he threatens Brandon's job almost immediately. I still expect the Packers to come out next season with Grant as the secure #1 RB in that offense. He has been a solidly productive runner since he arrived there and hasn't showed any signs of slowing. In fact, he actually gets better as each season moves along. Just because he is sitting on IR isn't any reason to think he has lost that job at this point. If anything, the subpar play of everyone they have rolled out there since the Grant injury only speaks to how valuable he has been to that team.
Grant is, was and always will be a mediocre talent at RB. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Starks comes in and steals the starting job. It also wouldn't surprise me if Starks never gets more than 5 carries in a game and gets waived next year.

Total flier at this point, but I do like his skillset.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Grant is an average RB, but Starks is below average. He's not quick, he doesn't change direction well, and he's not powerful for his size.
I'll now copy/paste my post from the advice thread hoping someone can explain what the Stark lover's are seeing in this guy. I'd like to understand why people are so high on this kid, because I don't see it.

Can anyone explain why there is so much hype around a guy who's 6'2" and 215/220. 215/220 lbs would be all right if he was 5'11". This guy should weight 235 at a minimum to be taken seriously as having any type of power, since he doesn't have elusive speed. He looks like a big stringy target that runs with his pads to high a lot of the time, which in turn makes him an even bigger target for defenders to haul off on him. Being a tall target might work in college, but NFL LB's won't have any trouble bringing him down. Brandon Jackson has a 4.3 YPC. Brandon Jackson isn't seen as a powerful runner or big, but he's 5'10" and 215/220 lbs.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:26 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:Grant is an average RB, but Starks is below average. He's not quick, he doesn't change direction well, and he's not powerful for his size.
I'll now copy/paste my post from the advice thread hoping someone can explain what the Stark lover's are seeing in this guy. I'd like to understand why people are so high on this kid, because I don't see it.

Can anyone explain why there is so much hype around a guy who's 6'2" and 215/220. 215/220 lbs would be all right if he was 5'11". This guy should weight 235 at a minimum to be taken seriously as having any type of power, since he doesn't have elusive speed. He looks like a big stringy target that runs with his pads to high a lot of the time, which in turn makes him an even bigger target for defenders to haul off on him. Being a tall target might work in college, but NFL LB's won't have any trouble bringing him down. Brandon Jackson has a 4.3 YPC. Brandon Jackson isn't seen as a powerful runner or big, but he's 5'10" and 215/220 lbs.
Curious what you are basing that on? He hasn't played an NFL down so he clearly can't be 'below average'. There is zero information to suggest that. His time playing for Buffalo showed he was a quality player. He was drafted. His combine numbers were good. Right now we have literally no sample size of NFL action, so it's too early to pigeon-hole Starks.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:36 pm

thevidon2 wrote:
skip wrote:I think he threatens Brandon's job almost immediately. I still expect the Packers to come out next season with Grant as the secure #1 RB in that offense. He has been a solidly productive runner since he arrived there and hasn't showed any signs of slowing. In fact, he actually gets better as each season moves along. Just because he is sitting on IR isn't any reason to think he has lost that job at this point. If anything, the subpar play of everyone they have rolled out there since the Grant injury only speaks to how valuable he has been to that team.
Grant is, was and always will be a mediocre talent at RB. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Starks comes in and steals the starting job. It also wouldn't surprise me if Starks never gets more than 5 carries in a game and gets waived next year.

Total flier at this point, but I do like his skillset.
Grant is also a guy who can average more than 4 ypc and carry the ball 300 times a year. Not every RB in the NFL can run the ball that often with sustained success. He isn't flashy. He doesn't break long runs. But he is a plenty effective runner in that offense. Eventually the anti-Grant owners will be right...about when he is the ripe old age of 30 when most RBs fall apart.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
MR ROURKE wrote:Grant is an average RB, but Starks is below average. He's not quick, he doesn't change direction well, and he's not powerful for his size.

Curious what you are basing that on? He hasn't played an NFL down so he clearly can't be 'average'. His time playing for Buffalo showed he was a quality player. He was drafted. His combine numbers were good. Right now we have literally no sample size of NFL action, so it's too early to pigeon-hole Starks.
Not pigeon-holing him... just my opinion and trying to understand why people think he is such a good prospect. A lot of guys get drafted, so that's not really an explaination of why people keep bringing him up. Dwyer got drafted and he's the invisable man. Blount is a much better NFL RB prospect then Starks and he wasn't drafted. Yes, Starks hasn't played in the NFL. He hasn't played anywhere in like 2 years. Countless players were a top college RB or WR prospect the year before they were draft eligiable and proceeded to drop like a rock the next year. Those players that have faultered to live up to expectations weren't out of football for an extended period of time. Yet, people are talking about Starks like he's the GB Packers savior at RB and will threaten Grant. So, I'm attempting to get an understanding of what people are seeing to ensure I'm not missing something, because I do not see it. I threw my opinion out there on him and I'm hoping someone who thinks that Starks has the ability to take Grant's job would throw theirs out there.
Last edited by MR ROURKE on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I reviewed Starks Combine #'s since they were brought up and I'd call them average. Anything in this list stand out?

40 - 4.50
Bench - 15.
vertical - 36"
broad - 9'11"
3 cone - 6.89
20 yard shuttle - 4.23

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

MR ROURKE wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

Curious what you are basing that on? He hasn't played an NFL down so he clearly can't be 'average'. His time playing for Buffalo showed he was a quality player. He was drafted. His combine numbers were good. Right now we have literally no sample size of NFL action, so it's too early to pigeon-hole Starks.
Not pigeon-holing him... just my opinion and trying to understand why people think he is such a good prospect. A lot of guys get drafted, so that's not really an explaination of why people keep bringing him up. Dwyer got drafted and he's the invisable man. Blount is a much better NFL RB prospect then Starks and he wasn't drafted. Yes, Starks hasn't played in the NFL. He hasn't played anywhere in like 2 years. Countless players were a top college RB or WR prospect the year before they were draft eligiable and proceeded to drop like a rock the next year. Those players that have faultered to live up to expectations weren't out of football for an extended period of time. Yet, people are talking about Starks like he's the GB Packers savior at RB and will threaten Grant. So, I'm attempting to get an understanding of what people are seeing to ensure I'm not missing something, because I do not see it. I threw my opinion out there on him and I'm hoping someone who thinks that Starks has the ability to take Grant's job would throw theirs out there.
It will take some sifting, but here is an idea of why his potential is well-regarded by some, including me. Especially note his receiving numbers which are outstanding for a college RB. He could carry the rock a ton, caught a ton of passes, and was extremely productive in college:

2008: 12 GP; 12 GS; Rush: 272-1333-4.9-16; Rec: 52-361-6.9-1; Set single-season school records for carries (272) and rushing yards (1,333) while missing two and a half games…named All-MAC First Team…ranked second in the MAC and 15th in the nation in rushing (111.1)…ranked second on the team in receiving with 52 catches for 361 yards…named MAC East Offensive Player of the Week afte running for 185 yards and two touchdowns, including a 52-yarder, against Ohio (10/28)… named MAC East Offensive Player of the Week after accounted for 241 yards of total offense (151 yards rushing, 90 yards receiving) and scoring three touchdowns against Akron…tied a school record for receptions in a game with 13 against the Zips. 2007: 12 GP; 12 GS; Rush: 251-1103-4.4-12; Pass: 1-1-100-5-0-0; Rec: 41-311-7.6-2; Selected to the All-MAC Second Team…set a single-season school record with 251 carries and rushed for 1,103 yards, the third-highest total in school history…led Buffalo with 14 touchdowns …named MAC East Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts against Ohio, rushed for 183 yards on a career-high 36 carries and two touchdowns … the very next week he ran for a career-high 231 yards and three touchdowns on 34 carries against Toledo, again earning MAC East Offensive Player of the Week honors as well as a ESPN “helmet sticker” as one of the nation’s best performances of the day. 2006: 12 GP; 7 GS; Rush: 175-704-4-6; Rec: 12-34-2.8-0; Led the Bulls in rushing, gaining 704 yards and scoring six touchdowns en route to earning All-MAC Second Team honors...second on the team in receptions with 34...scored overtime game-winning touchdown in his first collegiate game against Temple (8/31)...named MAC East Division Player of the Week after running for 162 yards against Kent State. 2005: Redshirted in his first season at Buffalo.

Post-Draft Outlook: A closer look at the Packers' picks: Round 6/193 -- James Starks, RB, 6-2, 218, Buffalo: The school's all-time leading rusher is a great unknown after he missed the 2009 season with a shoulder injury. Tall for a back but is an elusive, physical north-south runner. Former star quarterback in high school could give Packers offense a "Wildcat" dimension. - by The Sports Xchange

Jermbob
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Jermbob » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:22 am

well Starks is 6'2" 218 lbs...ADP is 6'1" 217 lbs...I'm not really understanding why Starks couldn't be taken seriously as having and kind of power?
12 tm PPR Dynasty...1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE Flex, 1pt PPR

QB A Luck
RB D Johnson, D Cook, S Barkley, Rojo, J Wilkins
WR C Kupp, J Doctson, C Meredith, K White, M Hollins, C Williams, J Nelson, C Sutton, D Moncrief, C Kirk, D.J. Chark, D Hamilton
TE G Kittle, M Gesicki

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:54 am

So no one wants to list their actual opinion of the guy and why they think he has such a high ceiling?

Thanks for the try Misfit, but a listing of accomplishments and what he's done isn't really what I was looking for.

I'm looking for someone that has their own opinion of J.Starks's ability and short comings. I break down a large amount of the WR and RB prospects coming out each year and form my opinion of that player. I have a huge excel sheet that I rank players in numerous catagories.

Reviewing Stats, watching highlights, or taking someone else's uninformed opinion on the web are by no means a proper breakdown of a players ability.

For instance:
- There was a pretty popular website out there was that pushing Phillip Dillard as a great NFL WR prospect (many of you likely know the site I'm refering to). People were calling him crazy things like the next Greg Jennings. Dillard had all the great statistics you could possibly want to quote and highlights all over the place. However, when I look at the actual player, how he plays, and how I beleive his effectiveness would change in the NFL... he just didn't hold up to be any where near the propect he was being made out to be.

- Bernard Scott was a nice little sleeper RB until the hype machine got a hold of him and vaulted his ADP way above where it should have been. People get burned by not doing the proper research and blindly following the stats or someone else's advice.

- B.Tate was a good RB prospect for his draft position until people got way over excited about who drafted him and vaulted him over more talented players. He went 3rd overall in one of my leages, which I did not understand.

I'm not saying that Starks wasn't an effective college RB, but James Starks doesn't hold up to his hype of what he can do in the NFL in my opinion. I acknowledge his receiving skills, which is why I made a reference to him having a great build and hands to be a WR prospect. I was looking for someone to actually give me their opinion as to why they thought he would succeed in the NFL. My opinion is only that... an opinion. I'm not looking to argue with anyone as to why they are wrong and Starks will never be anything. Maybe I missed something and made a faulty judgement. There are a lot of people out there that seem to think Starks is a good RB prospect, but no one seems to actaully have their own opinion. It seems like everyone has marked J.Starks down as a prospect because someone else brought up his name and that is spreading like crazy, without anyone actually looking at the actual player, his skill sets, what he does well, and what he doesn't do well.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:00 am

Jermbob wrote: well Starks is 6'2" 218 lbs...ADP is 6'1" 217 lbs...I'm not really understanding why Starks couldn't be taken seriously as having and kind of power?
It's not just a size to weight ratio. You have to look at how the weight is distributed. ADP has a solid build for a RB. Starks is a lot more lanky. Guys like MJD don't have a great RB build, but when you actually look at MJD and see his lower body... you know he can generate power even at his size.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 am

I know its just a highlight reel, but watch the first 1 minute of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4

In that first minute I see balance, stiff arm ability, soft hands and damn good lateral agility. He may not have blazing speed, but there are facets to his game that Grant just doesn't possess (i.e. the ability to do anything other than run straight forward).

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 am

thevidon2 wrote:I know its just a highlight reel, but watch the first 1 minute of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4

In that first minute I see balance, stiff arm ability, soft hands and damn good lateral agility. He may not have blazing speed, but there are facets to his game that Grant just doesn't possess (i.e. the ability to do anything other than run straight forward).
Well, since you seem to like highlight reels, here are a couple of Grant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlssftCwg9c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAueiINL ... re=related

Power, vision, balance, speed... Not quite sure what more you really need from a RB. He's effective all over the field - whether between the 20's or in the red zone. There are a lot of guys in the NFL who aren't as effective. I know my support of Grant falls on mostly deaf ears on this site. Owners have their favorites and that isn't going to change. I'll gladly a Ryan Grant on my team at a lower price than other RBs who will produce the same types of numbers.

dlf_ericd
Administrator

Postby dlf_ericd » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 am

Mr Rourke, I didn't watch Starks play in college other than on video since the NFL draft occured, but what I've seen from him makes me think of the style of Eric Dickerson. (Please don't read into that and think I'm saying he's as good as Dickerson, just a style comparison). In fact, here's a few successful tall RB's in the NFL. One of the reasons that you don't see a lot of tall RB's is the fact they struggle w/ running low to the ground, but another is that they are often moved to another position because of they're build, so you don't see too many tall TB's even at the college level.

OJ Simpson - 6 2, 212
Eddie George - 6 3 230
Eric Dickerson - 6 3 220

Personally, I'm not writing Starks in as the starter this year or next in GB. But, I do think he has a chance at it if he is successful early. The combination of vision and great hands are his best assets. He picks his holes well, and while not having tremendous speed, has shown he can break long ones if he can get through the hole quick enough. He has the potential to be a great receiver out of the backfield and is extremely safe with the ball. I don't believe he fumbled in his college career.

All of that said, I don't think anyone actually thinks they can predict that he is going to be a starter in GB...but he definitely has a good chance at it,which is more than a lot of guys get coming into the NFL.
On twitter? Hit me up @DLFootball