NY Giants Pick 3

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

NY Giants Pick 3

Postby ekassor » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Hey guys, I joined a 16 team league as the G-Men where each team picks 3 and then the rest of the lineup drafts.

I've got Steve Smith and Eli, but I can't decide on the 3rd pick between Nicks, Jacobs and Bradshaw.

Any thoughts?

moneyballer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: NY Giants Pick 3

Postby moneyballer » Tue May 25, 2010 3:05 pm

ekassor wrote:Hey guys, I joined a 16 team league as the G-Men where each team picks 3 and then the rest of the lineup drafts.

I've got Steve Smith and Eli, but I can't decide on the 3rd pick between Nicks, Jacobs and Bradshaw.

Any thoughts?
While it would be nice to start out with a running back, I think the three Giant players to have are Eli, Nicks, and Steve Smith. Smith is a great possession receiver and will get you boatloads of catches. Nicks should be the playmaker. Eli doesn't always get credit, but did throw for 27 TDs last year too. I just can't justify taking either Bradshaw or Jacobs over those three.

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: NY Giants Pick 3

Postby willypohill » Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

moneyballer wrote:
ekassor wrote:Hey guys, I joined a 16 team league as the G-Men where each team picks 3 and then the rest of the lineup drafts.

Any thoughts?
While it would be nice to start out with a running back, I think the three Giant players to have are Eli, Nicks, and Steve Smith. Smith is a great possession receiver and will get you boatloads of catches. Nicks should be the playmaker. Eli doesn't always get credit, but did throw for 27 TDs last year too. I just can't justify taking either Bradshaw or Jacobs over those three.
x2
Michigan Maulers
QB: Brady, Bradford, Henne, Gabbert, Hill, Edwards
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison
WR: Fitzgerald, G. Jennings, V-Jax, Crabtree, Holmes, McCluster, K. Walter
TE: V. Davis, Dreessen, Bennett
K: Akers, Barth
DL: T. Kelly, Ngata, A. Brown, D. Edwards, E. Brown, Avril
LB: Lofton, Cushing, V. Miller, Orakpo, Angerer, Wimbley, Witherspoon
DB: L. Landry, Rhodes, Byrd, T. Williams, Finnegan, Meriweather, J. Smith

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Nicks should be the 1st one you need to get. I'd take him over the other two.

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward Nicks but worried about the RB situation.
Last edited by ekassor on Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue May 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Orca wrote:Nicks should be the 1st one you need to get. I'd take him over the other two.
MAYBE over Eli, but Smith is the #1... I still will concur that Nick should probably be the 3rd just for value's sake.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 pm

skip wrote:
Orca wrote:Nicks should be the 1st one you need to get. I'd take him over the other two.
MAYBE over Eli, but Smith is the #1... I still will concur that Nick should probably be the 3rd just for value's sake.
Eli is a low end QB 1 at BEST. Nicks is top 20 dynasty WR. S. Smith deserves respect for sure, but for some reason, I feel like I need to see it for another year before I believe it.

willypohill
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby willypohill » Tue May 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Orca wrote:Eli is a low end QB 1 at BEST. Nicks is top 20 dynasty WR. S. Smith deserves respect for sure, but for some reason, I feel like I need to see it for another year before I believe it.
Steve Smith is the 3 year vet that broke out like crazy this season and Nicks is the rookie that benefited from it. At least that's how I see it. Though I agree Nicks is top 20 dynasty-wise, I have more doubts about him this season than I do about Smith.
Michigan Maulers
QB: Brady, Bradford, Henne, Gabbert, Hill, Edwards
RB: McCoy, Turner, Ingram, Spiller, R. Jennings, Tolbert, Lewis, McGahee, Buckhalter, J. Harrison
WR: Fitzgerald, G. Jennings, V-Jax, Crabtree, Holmes, McCluster, K. Walter
TE: V. Davis, Dreessen, Bennett
K: Akers, Barth
DL: T. Kelly, Ngata, A. Brown, D. Edwards, E. Brown, Avril
LB: Lofton, Cushing, V. Miller, Orakpo, Angerer, Wimbley, Witherspoon
DB: L. Landry, Rhodes, Byrd, T. Williams, Finnegan, Meriweather, J. Smith

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Tue May 25, 2010 6:07 pm

I would go with Nicks as your third.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue May 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Nicks.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Eli, Smith and Nicks. Not even close.

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:13 pm

It depends on a few things...PPR? Everyone takes a team and three guys then every other player is available to draft? When do you pick? What are the starting lineups?

I'd be willing to bet some decent QBs are available after the teams and players are divvied up, (Palmer, Matt Moore, Henne, McNabb, maybe Roethlisberger and Cutler), so I'd leave Eli. Depending on when you pick, at the very least you might very well be able to draft him back if you're so inclined. I'm also thinking that there will be fewer RBs than WRs available after the dispersal, so I'd keep both Bradshaw and Jacobs, depending on starting lineups. Smith would be my third, especially if its PPR. If its not PPR, Nicks gets consideration but Smith has gone earlier in all three startups I've done this year.

In sum, Jacobs, Bradshaw, Smith.

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 am

Its not PPR. Every other player is available is available.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed May 26, 2010 5:16 am

Orca wrote:
skip wrote:
Eli is a low end QB 1 at BEST. Nicks is top 20 dynasty WR. S. Smith deserves respect for sure, but for some reason, I feel like I need to see it for another year before I believe it.
That doesn't make any sense at all... Why do you need another season from Smith to believe his production, yet have Nicks rated as a top 20 dynasty WR based on one season?

Smith had a total of 4 starts in 2008 and none the year before. He still managed 57 receptions that season.

Last year he had fewer than 5 catches in only 4 games.
In ppr leagues he failed to hit double digits only once all year.
AJ, the #1 WR, didn't even manage to accomplish either of those...

What I see is a guy who should be a PPR machine and a lock for 90+ receptions. At age 25, he still has a bright, bright future. It's fine to think positively about Nicks' future, but dynasty owners are making an error overlooking what Smith did and brushing it off.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Wed May 26, 2010 6:01 am

skip wrote:
Orca wrote:
skip wrote: MAYBE over Eli, but Smith is the #1... I still will concur that Nick should probably be the 3rd just for value's sake.
That doesn't make any sense at all... Why do you need another season from Smith to believe his production, yet have Nicks rated as a top 20 dynasty WR based on one season?

Smith had a total of 4 starts in 2008 and none the year before. He still managed 57 receptions that season.

Last year he had fewer than 5 catches in only 4 games.
In ppr leagues he failed to hit double digits only once all year.
AJ, the #1 WR, didn't even manage to accomplish either of those...

What I see is a guy who should be a PPR machine and a lock for 90+ receptions. At age 25, he still has a bright, bright future. It's fine to think positively about Nicks' future, but dynasty owners are making an error overlooking what Smith did and brushing it off.
You are completely right. It doesn't make any sense at all. I just can't help but have a gut feeling that his performance was an aberration. I can't defend it with any logic or reasoning, so it should probably be dismissed.