Draft strategy?

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Draft strategy?

Postby KU Sucks » Mon May 24, 2010 8:59 am

Ok, I have picks @ 1.4, 2.2, 2.4, 3.4 & 5.4

My strategy will be a rb @ 1.4 (Spiller or Best) whichever is available, assuming Bryant will be gone. In this draft I need to address wr, then maybe qb, te and kicker to start the season.

I should have a decent wr option @ 2.2 as f/a wr's available are Aromashodu, Edelman, and Doucet; pushing down some good options to me. But, I am contemplating coming back and taking James Starks @ 2.4 (he has value to me because I have Grant) instead of another wr. I have Starks rated @ 20 overall, so I would be taking him a little high. I don't expect him to be around @ 3.4. Now rbs are my strength and I need wrs & maybe a starting te because of the Olsen situation.

Now @ the 3.4 spot, I have contemplated addressing te, but have just about decided to just grab the best player available whomever that maybe. Then hope Moeaki is around @ 5.4 and go with the qbs I have on roster. Ben screws me, but I do have have Flacco and Edwards as an emergency qb if something happens to Flacco before Ben is back.

My major questions are @ 2.4 (starks or wr) & 3.4 address qb issue with somebody like Whitehurst, get Graham @ te or roll with BPA?

Will clear a spot @ 6.4 and get a kicker to open season.

League starts 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, te, def, k. (no flex)

PPR, standard scoring, passing tds = 4 pt, & punt & kickoff tds count.

B. Roethlisberger
J. Flacco
T. Edwards – x (emergency qb during Ben’s exile or alt plan b)
R. Grant
R. Mendenhall
J. Charles
J. Stewart
J. Davis – x (hold until season)
B. Scott – x (hold until season)
M. Colston
M. Austin
P. Harvin
G. Camarillo - x
B. Berrian - x
B. Robiskie - x
J. Shockey - x
G. Olsen
F. Davis
K.Brown - x
Jets
49ers
open roster spot
x = cuts

gratefulydead3
Role Player
Role Player

Postby gratefulydead3 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 am

In a start 2 RB league I don't think you need to reach in the early 2nd to grab your 4th RB's backup so I would go WR. I like Graham alot, and as long as you can wait on him for a year or two he is worth the 3.4. I don't think Moeaki will still be around for you in the 5th

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Mon May 24, 2010 9:54 am

Go with your plan at 1.04 and 2.02 but then I'd go with BPA at 2.04 which as you point out could be a decent WR. It would be nice to have Grant's potential handcuff but go with what your lineup dictates.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 am

highballers wrote:Go with your plan at 1.04 and 2.02 but then I'd go with BPA at 2.04 which as you point out could be a decent WR. It would be nice to have Grant's potential handcuff but go with what your lineup dictates.
X2

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Mon May 24, 2010 11:14 am

Steelersfan wrote:
highballers wrote:Go with your plan at 1.04 and 2.02 but then I'd go with BPA at 2.04 which as you point out could be a decent WR. It would be nice to have Grant's potential handcuff but go with what your lineup dictates.
X2
X3
You should be ble to get a decent TE with that 3rd rd pick. Possibly Gronkowski or J Graham of the Saints. :wink:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon May 24, 2010 11:59 am

As much as I like Starks, I agree you should go best player, probably a WR, at 2.04. Take the chance that he'll slip a round.

I would also not worry about landing a TE, but maybe focus on getting another QB.

-oo-

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Mon May 24, 2010 5:21 pm

KU Sucks wrote:Now @ the 3.4 spot, I have contemplated addressing te, but have just about decided to just grab the best player available whomever that maybe. Then hope Moeaki is around @ 5.4 and go with the qbs I have on roster. Ben screws me, but I do have have Flacco and Edwards as an emergency qb if something happens to Flacco before Ben is back.
Ben alledgedly screws lots of people, especially in Georgia (you're not from Georgia, are you)

How big is the league? I like Starks alot, especially if you are a Ryan Grant owner. As mentioned above, you do have several other RB solutions, so RB isn't a great need. Go BPA at 2.04 and the smaller the league, the better your odds of Starks slipping through to you at 3.04.

If Starks isn't available at 3.04, I'd definately go TE. Have you considered trading that pick for an established TE? Doesn't have to be a stud, just a starter. You may even want to keep Shockey on for the moment.

either way, g'luck!

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Mon May 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks for the observations guys; I appreciate them. I knew I shouldn't grab Starks and take a wr; I just needed to somebody else to tell me again! :oops:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Look back at all the previous years' NFL drafts. What percentage of 6th round runningbacks go on to having a productive NFL career? Pretty much zero.

I had to tell myself this recently in a startup draft, I had Anthony Dixon in the queue, but yanked him & grabbed Taylor Price instead. Not sure if it was a good move or not, but history is against 6th round runningbacks.

I could see green bay trading for Lynch (remember, they coveted him in the draft but buffalo snaked him) or drafting a better rookie RB next year.