Ronnie Brown - Fantasy Tease, Reality Nightmare

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Misfit74 wrote:
skip wrote:Here are several items I don't like about Ronnie Brown:

1) Injuries - He has missed significant playing time in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

2) Age - Everyone points to an aging Ricky Williams; Ronnie Brown is already 28 and turns 29 at the end of 2010 - though the mileage isn't there, the injuries are and they will limit the longevity of his career.

3) Lack of production - Only 1 season has he managed to be available for all 16 games of the season, but in no season has he passed 250 carries. While this alone isn't an overwhelming statistic (9 players passed the mark last season, 13 in 2008, 12 in 2007), with Ricky Williams on the team Brown stands no chance of passing or really approaching this number. Evidence: 2008 - with both players fully healthy for all 16 games, Brown had 214 carries to Williams' 160. 200 carries may be in reach again, but it will be touch-and-go.

At best, Ronnie Brown is the Marion Barber of the Miami Dolphins. That may put him in the top 15-20 range statistically this coming season. Add in the other contributing factors and he isn't a desirable fantasy option.
Well said, and I agree with most everything.

Also, I will say this: Carnell > Ronnie 8-)
:shock: That is harsh.

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Mon May 24, 2010 6:23 pm

U guys haven't buried Brown yet?

Personally I'm over him after he killed me in a re-draft last year.........

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Mon May 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Well everyone talks about the "talent" and "potential" of every player.....so I guess every player in the NFL sucks right now. :wink: Ronnie's my boy, and he'll be part of what makes my team a champion this season. Obviously we're at odds here and neither will pursuade the other to their side....so now we're in wait and see mode.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon May 24, 2010 8:10 pm

nightmarion wrote:Well everyone talks about the "talent" and "potential" of every player.....so I guess every player in the NFL sucks right now. :wink: Ronnie's my boy, and he'll be part of what makes my team a champion this season. Obviously we're at odds here and neither will pursuade the other to their side....so now we're in wait and see mode.
The bottom line is this though. EVERYBODY IN THE NFL IS TALENTED. EVERYONE IN THE NFL HAS POTENTIAL (except Jamarcus Russell :lol: ) but that doesnt mean anything until they show it. And further, in fantasy it only means as much as you PRODUCE, and how valuable you are....and bottom line is ronnie brown is not as producive, or as valuable (or NEARLY AS reliable) as you have made him out to be.

I like reliability in my RB's....thats what gives me confidence, and thats what allows me consistent success -and success I have had :lol: having a ROnnie Brown type RB (mediocre when healthy, always injured) may strike lightning for you once every blue moon....but it doesnt provide stability and that takes away not only from his production, but his value, not to mention its not like he is a top 5 talent like SJ - who despite getting hurt year in and year out, on a crappy team, still puts up 1000 rushing yards....as of this moment u have just been making up excuses for Brown...paying attention to only the good, and none of the bad...and your inability to temper your expectations will ultimately be your undoing in fantasy..and the consequence is 10 times more debilitating in dynasty. Because the more accurate and objective your expectations are...the more ready you are when it comes to drafting and making important managerial decisions. The less accurate and objective you are then the more you compromise your ability to make sound short - and long term decisions.

Ronnie Brown as a RB4 is the most I would rely on him for...that way if he outproduced thats great, if not it doesnt hurt me much...btu at RB2...what happens when he DOESNT live up to your expectation? Then you're screwed unless you have a very solid RB1 and RB3. And if you are starting Ronnie Brown at 2 chances are your 3 is....not so good.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue May 25, 2010 5:20 am

I don't think anyone can make a decent argument that Ronnie doesn't put up good numbers when he is on the field. But the very fact that every positive statement about him has to be qualified like that is the problem, which is what makes him desirable as nothing more than a backup option for a fantasy team.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 am

skip wrote:I don't think anyone can make a decent argument that Ronnie doesn't put up good numbers when he is on the field. But the very fact that every positive statement about him has to be qualified like that is the problem, which is what makes him desirable as nothing more than a backup option for a fantasy team.
My thoughts exactly...

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Tue May 25, 2010 7:37 am

I'm in a 16 team league, so for Ronnie to be an RB4 would be ridiculous. I do have a solid RB1 in Gore, and I have Best as my RB3. Obviously people have there doubts about Best and his ability to stay healty, but my league pays the big plays, and Best can break one off at any time. My league also starts 1-2 RB's, so worst case scenario I start Gore and four WR's instead of three. I think having Brown as an RB2 in this league is solid. He is certainly a top 16 back, so he should technically be an RB1 in my league.

We like to hear that Brown is going to increase his workload, and this is a good sign that he will return in time for training camp. We expect Brown to be fine for the start of the season, and he remains a solid Fantasy option. He is expected to share carries with Ricky Williams again in 2010, but Brown will still get the majority of touches. Plan on drafting Brown as a No. 2 Fantasy RB, and he's worth a pick beginning in Round 4 in all leagues.
via CBSsportsline.